• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Heads up - some skiers hating again..

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
A few bad apples from the ski touring crowd are crying again... just a reminder to be friendly and think of the type of people we are up against, as they outnumber us.
Some tips for leaving the skiers and hikers happy... leave them plenty of space, leave them a clean slope to ski if they are in the same area, be sure not to ride over their skin tracks, and try to stay out of the wilderness areas. They have far more influence than us, and I know far too well from dirt biking just how fast you can lose your riding areas once they organize.

From Turns-all-year.com

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=31225.0;all

<table cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td height="100%" valign="top" width="85%"> <table border="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="left" valign="middle"> on: 03/22/14, 02:57 PM »
bscott
5Member

</td><td style="font-size: smaller;" height="20" align="right" valign="bottom" nowrap="nowrap"> | Reply with quote </td></tr></tbody></table> <hr class="hrcolor" size="1" width="100%"> I recently encountered snowmobile tracks in the terrain leading up to skyline lake and beyond. That area has traditionally been a favorite for back country skiers and snowshoes for at least 30-40 years. It is an easy 30-60 minute tour to Skyline lake. Why does one need a snowmobile to access that terrain? Too lazy to walk? The snowmobiler(s) stayed on the road some of the time, but unfortunately they motored straight up and down the hillsides the rest of the time. The results were deep trenches across much of the south facing slopes above the parking lot. This is bad back country etiquette and very inconsiderate and selfish behavior. A few rotten apples are giving the snowmobile community a bad reputation. </td></tr><tr><td class="smalltext" valign="bottom"> <table border="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" class="smalltext" align="left">
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
In fairness to the skiers, the area that they are complaining about is directly across the highway from the Stevens Pass resort that has always been a ski touring and snowshoeing destination and has never been a destination sledding spot, regardless of the legality. The skiers just want to keep enjoying their traditional spot, without competition from sleds. There are other spots like that around that we sledders can easily avoid (e.g., Liberty Bell on Hwy 20, Clara Lake by Mission Ridge, etc.), without really giving anything up. Common sense is all that's required.

If we're going to get our panties in a bunch about something, we should be focusing on the proposed wilderness designation for Scatter and Van Epps! The FS has not yet released their EIS, but when they do, we need to mobilize, as those are some of the best sledding areas in the state.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I agree with you Wapow, I was focused mostly that they were using this instance for more fuel to restrict us elsewhere (like Teanaway.) I ski Skyline Ridge every now and then by skins and not sled.

P1000173.JPG

blindman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
hope it works out

have a feeling that if the proposed forest plan goes through closing the teanaway etc ,there will be much more wilderness trespass...even into areas never before having seen sleds,...as the sledders will no longer give a chit.

for the non motorized backcountry users i feel bad.. as it is their own Robert Mullins that will have caused them the greatest frustration in this issue.

as he is truly a self centered egotistical pos.

Last edited:
N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I don't think you can unload at the parking lot with snowmobiles. Also I would not want to stir up the giant bees nest of tree huggers that go there in hoardes by riding a sled there. It's the road that goes up to the radio towers at the top of the pass. It is a big snowshoe destination for the city slickers

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
Ahh, definitely not worth ruffling all the feathers. I really enjoy Smithbrooke anyways.

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
MAP dont Lie, they got MORE than enough areas to explore that we aren't allowed to go in. I cant really see them restricting this much further, then there would be nothing......
998478_10152075872156705_704534205_n.jpg

Premium Features