• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Backpack Survival Essentials?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The only thing I carry for survival that I haven't seen on here is a set of inflatable bags in my backpack. I won't ride without an avy pack ever again.
ABS, Snowpulse, BCA, who cares, just get one.

Some great new ones in this thread, I see my pack growing this year!

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
Being an ATV rider in the summer, where I can pack everything but the kitchen sink on my four wheeler, it's been a struggle on how to pare that down to a manageable load for sledding that covers all the basics.

In the summer, there is no doubt that my group could survive several nights with what I carry.

In the winter, I expect my partners to carry their own emergency gear because it's all I can do to carry my own.

In my backpack:
-Shovel
-SAM Splint
-2 Maxi-pads (useful for staunching profuse bleeding on an injury)
-Quik-Clot
-Headlamp
-Matches
-Lighter
-Candle
-Emergency blanket X2
-Vaseline soaked cotton balls for firestarter
-Magnesium and flint bar
-Road Flare
-Signal mirror
-Wire
-Duct Tape
-Rope (to pull out a stuck sled)
-Complete set of thermals
-Balaclava
-Socks
-3 energy bars
-bottle of water
-Small roll TP
-Handwarmers x 5

In my jacket:
-Lighter
-Cell phone
-Multi-tool
-Bandana
-Advil bottle

On my sled:
-Spare gas
-GPS
-more handwarmers
-spare plugs
-spare belt

Surprisingly this doesn't all weigh too awful much. As it is, I miss being able to carry my full backcountry med kit. Having been in a group where one person broke their leg and we splinted with a SAM Splint and duct tape, those items go in my pack now regardless, even if the rest of the med kit has to stay in the garage.

As you can seen, I put huge emphasis on having multiple ways to start a fire and stay warm. I've taken winter survival courses and know multiple ways to build a shelter, but nothing beats flame for getting you warm, providing some light, and boosting morale.

What you don't see is a probe or beacon- which I plan on remedying this month. We don't ride avalanche territory but we ride near it, and so I feel we should have the gear in case we decide to play on the slopes one day or if we see a slide so we can help search.

Great thread, btw.<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Last edited by a moderator:
P
Dec 12, 2009
Great thread. I've picked up some good ideas! I've got a considerable amount of time in the mountains in the weather. I'll keep some stuff on me and split the rest into a pack. most of my must-haves seem like they've been mentioned. but here we go:

Folding wood saw
pocketknife, I carry one on me and one in the pack
three forms of firestarters - I gotta be able to start a fire
road flares
styrofoam cups
again, I carry two, with my backup t-shirt packed inside of them. styrofoam will not burn when filled with water. you can boil with it.

flashlights, I carry 2-3 led's or extra batteries
Food
First aid kit
electrical tape
emergency blanket, and/or small tarp for making shelter
GPS
avalanche gear if your area dictates it
water- I carry two 16oz bottles + 2L in the camelback

Fire is my first priority, followed by first aid supplies and some kind of food. the road flares are a lifesaver. not only can they be seen for miles at night, and draw a lot of attention, but they will also allow you to start a fire when your fingers are too cold to strike a match or fumble with a lighter, not to mention you can just about light a tree on fire with them. GPS is a no-brainer. flashlights are just necessary. they are also another item that can be used to lure searchers in at night, when it is dead silent and the horizon is dark. I'd never underestimate the usability of a knife. a disposable shop towel or two make great firestarters, can be used as toilet paper, and will not stick to a wound. a good electrical tape is water resistant, works great for making bandages, and is kind of like duct tape in that you will find many uses for it. I think crazy glue was already mentioned but that stuff is great for sealing up a deep cut. if you cant pack a tarp to make a shelter, you can at least huddle up inside of an emergency blanket and be fairly impervious to wind or snowfall. makes it harder to keep a fire going, though.I think the tampons are a great idea. I'll start carrying a couple.

Last edited:
I

IowaSnowCat

Dec 1, 2007
Northwest Iowa
Other than those listed....

Have a whistle and compass on my keychain. In my fanny pack, hand warmers, ibprofen, lighter, waterproof matches, multi-tool, tampons, etc.

Deck of cards to break the silence and fear and maybe a flask of some schnaps or blackberry brandy, makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. A sense of humor is always good to pack - eases the tensity in the air and clears the head.

J

jwill302

Dec 6, 2007
il. 60073
Your gonna laugh but they are handy at starting fires, tampons. They are great for getting gas out of your fuel tank to start a fire and they aren't a hassle to carry. This way you don't have to sit there and burn up all your lighter fluid and matches at trying to get a fire started.

they are also good for big wounds

I would add polar weight long johns(them overnights get alittle cool around 4am), also I carry an MSR pocket rocket stove with a small fuel canister(isobutane-propane fuel). As for food I take along Power Bars, Cliff bars, Mountainhouse Granola and Blueberries, and Mountainhouse spaghetti. As far as no beacons I repeat what was told to me "If you can afford a $x,ooo dollar sled you can afford a $250 beacon. Whats your life worth???? What are you going to tell you buddies family when you can't find him????? BUY A BEACON!!!!!" Just trying to help.

I agree. Buy avalanche training and then get a beacon and a probe

Good idea with the note on the dashboard with your radio frequency, but I prefer to leave it with my family or whoever may report me overdue. Search and Rescue then has the frequency right away, they don't have to find my truck first to get it. I'd likely forget to leave it in my truck as I already have enough to think about with all the other stuff I carry and always in a hurry to hit the powder. With all the channels available on the FRS radios and numerous sub channels there's pretty much no way you should get much chatter from other users on your same frequency....unless you pick 9.11, 0.07 or 7.11 like everyone else who picks those for ease of remembering. Be original like 3.02 or 7.28.

I just thoughtof something... a person should put their frequency on their SPOT messenger send outs(emails/texts/911's)

J

jnj55024

Sep 22, 2009
Farmington, MN
So I just went out and picked up most of my survival stuff for the back pack.

I decided to get the JetBoil stove. Holy cow that thing makes quick work out of boiling 2 cups of water.

I have some older Cobra FRS radios and am wondering if they will be good enough. They are a model FRS110 and run on 4 AAA batteries. I don't think they have the sub channels but they work well around 1/4 to 1/2 mile but that's about as far as I have tested them. Your thoughts or suggestions on a radio would be great. I have a Garmin GPS 60 Cx so I don't want to spring for the Rhino (great idea, wish I had one)

I am also wondering if I compact my spare mitts/socks in the food saver bag will they stay compressed or will they bounce back to life when they are freed from the vacuum?

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
i vacume pack a spare fleese shirt, long underware, paire of wool socks, and i also have a thin downfilled jacket that vacuems down to nothing, i use a regular food vacume packer, most stuff turns out to be 1/2 to 1/4 the size. i also seal up my road flares keeps them dry. it works good for things that you put in your tunnel back to keep from getting damp also.

good post lets keep up the posts

giddyup

NextLevelRidingClinics

Premium Member
Jan 6, 2010
Alpine WY
www.nextlevelclinics.com
Search and rescue guys recommend to pack one of these too.

Another great thing to pack is a whistle. A beacon is a must in snowmobiling, and as far as packing stuff on the sled. Just a thought pack THE most important stuff on your back in case the sled gets buried. Be safe!
<O:p
Bring on the snow!!!!!! <O:p

Premium Features