• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Backpack Survival Essentials?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Extra batteries for radios
Sunglasses (Sunshine and reflective snow - can be very harmful to you eyes - especially if you are walking out.)
Individual powder packets of power drinks or Emergen-C.

(Time to get out the backpack to review and refresh from last year! )

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
One thing I've read about that I am going to try this year was wearing a trashbag under your outer layer of clothing. Its super cheap and completely blocks the moisture and wind from the outside. My only concern is that you would sweat inside of it and that would cause you to get cold later on.

P

Puddy Tat

Oct 4, 2008
Northern, Utah
2 way radio’s
GPS
fire starter
lighters
rope
flashlight
zip ties
first aid kit
Tampons
butt wipe A MUST
food / liquids a must!
tool kit
super glue
plugs
extra sled belt
Extra Balaclava
emergency space blankets
artificial hand & foot warmers
satellite phone
Ibuprofen 800
extra goggles
saw and shovel
Duck Tape
Beacon
Probe

S
Dec 17, 2007
A foam sleeping pad, cut down as small as possible but still able to get my back on it. A pile of tree branches to lay on just isn't as cozy as it sounds. Yeah...that might be a voice of experience. Plus it will make a decent splint for those occasional broken bones (assuming you remembered your duct tape).

BTW, has anybody used the tampon/gas fire starter on frozen firewood? I used damn near a gallon of gas and didn't think I was going to have enough.

$
Here's some pictures that I took a year or so ago, I've added some stuff since then but this is basically what's in there and how it's separated and packed. It's all vacuum sealed in food saver bags so it stays dry until I need it. Packed this way it's easy to locate what I need, and everything stays organized.

The backpack that I use, mostly because it was one that I had laying around. There are better ones available, but I don't have the $$ at the moment and this works alright.

SANY2058.jpg

First up is my first aid kit. I bought one of the cheap ones from Wal Mart, mostly for the box the stuff came in, and then modified the contents to what I wanted in there. The bug spray is for when I throw the backpack in my trunk when I'm traveling.

SANY2054.jpg

Next one is the comfort pack...has the stuff like hand warmers, hot chocolate mix, energy bars, TP, that sorta stuff.

SANY2055.jpg

The one on the left is for fire making and signaling, flares, fire starter, waterproof matches, orange surveyors tape, and some of the gel hand sanitizer which is mostly alcohol and burns really well. The bag on the right has a pair of big, warm fleece mittens, dry socks, and more handwarmers, plus a couple of space blankets.

SANY2056.jpg

Sunscreen, wind up LED flashlight, more TP, playing cards, roll up chainsaw type thing, super glue, and a P22 with extra ammo are just some of the other things I carry with me in the pack.

SANY2053.jpg

Plus theres the usual bottles of water/gatorade, jerky, candy, and whatever else I throw in my pack before we head out.

Z

zr600cce

Sep 20, 2008
Omaha, Ne
One thing that always gets me is my water/gatorade/pop freezes. I always put it inmy backpack. Give it about an hour and it's so slushy I can barely drink it. Anything you guys do to keep liquids....liquid?

I would try and find a smaller thermos to stick some drinking water in. The insulation that keeps liquids warm should also prevent the water from freezing. I have a smaller thermos that I bought from a local sporting goods store that keeps my coffee warm till atleast after lunch. Warms me right up!

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
One thing that always gets me is my water/gatorade/pop freezes. I always put it inmy backpack. Give it about an hour and it's so slushy I can barely drink it. Anything you guys do to keep liquids....liquid?

Heated riser block bag. Use aluminum water bottles, for survival you can set them on a metal shovel over the fire to thaw...

R
Nov 27, 2007
Bozeangelas
i use an insulated camelback in my dakine heli pro pack... the insulation keeps the water from freezing every time ive used it. my straw didnt come with insulation so i would blow the water back in after using it evertime and this seemed to keep it clean. this year i managed to get the insulation for the straw the so i hope it works even better. :beer;

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
i use an insulated camelback in my dakine heli pro pack... the insulation keeps the water from freezing every time ive used it. my straw didnt come with insulation so i would blow the water back in after using it evertime and this seemed to keep it clean. this year i managed to get the insulation for the straw the so i hope it works even better. :beer;
You could also wear a seperate hydration pack under your outer layer so body heat could keep it thawed if freezing became an issue.

A
Aug 7, 2009
Berthoud Colorado
Believe it or not the tampons are ok. But the maxi pads work much better. They hold more and you can wrap a log with it and get the whole log started faster.
But that is just what I use.

Weight watchers energy bars. 4-5 is all I need for 2 days. They really fill you up.

I do like the market vegi bag idea I have not heard that one. We use something a little different but that would work. And they are atleast 9 inches long. Good idea.

I like this thread keep it going guys.

Oh first aid. You can get this stuff called DURA DURM, Basically it is pig skin, with ointment on it. I get it from the VA. It is like a second skin, that you put on cuts and injuries. The stuff is wild. But it works better then a bandaid. I will get the actual technical name when I get home. Heck I get them for free from the V.A if you need one or two let me know. lol

Last edited:
S

Sleddin4Life

Jul 13, 2009
Riverton, UT
Great topic for this time of year. EVERYONE should take at least a beginner Avalanche course and know how to use their equipment (radios, beacons, gps, signal mirror, etc...). Also wear the proper clothing...as little cotton as possible on the base layer especially.

There are only a couple things I didn't see listed that I carry...2 SAM Splints, Vaseline soaked cottonballs, Strike-Anywhere matches in waterproof case, hose clamps, signal mirror, 50ft of 550 P-Cord, and a FULLY charged cell phone turned OFF.

Pretty much everyone I ride with is amazed at the stuff i carry. My first aid kit is setup for fairly substantial injuries with lots of gauze, wrap, and couple splints. I'm probably more prepared for a broken bone than a minor cut. I carry three cottonballs wrapped in aluminum foil that work as candles in a shelter/cave. It's amazing how long these burn and in a shelter built correctly they will raise the temp quite a bit. I also carry two film cases packed with Vaseline soaked cottonballs that work great as fire starters.

In my toolkit I carry enough to fix the basic breaks...bailing wire, hose clamps, zip ties, duct tape, extra Y-Pipe Bolts w/Nordlock washers for us Doo riders, tow strap, and extra gas. We've used my toolkit to bandaid a broken front shock, rear suspension, ripped track, and bent rails to name a few.

Last year I was riding with two guys in what was a brand new area to me. We dropped into a draw and were flagged down by a kid whose sled was stuck in a creek. The kid had dropped off a hill he couldn't make it back up and was going to meet his buddy back at the truck by riding the draw out. He was wearing coveralls and had no backpack, a dead cell phone, and no food or water. We helped him get out and attempted to drop out the bottom since two sleds couldn't make it back up in the conditions. Needless to say we met a dead end and dug til about 8 p.m. on the two sleds. We decided to leave the two sleds and once we got into cell range the three guys used my fully charged cell phone to call their wives/girlfriends/mother. S&R had already been called for the "coverall kid" and one guy who began in my group. S&R thought they were searching for two different parties but were pleasantly surprised to find us together. I spoke with the Sherriff on the phone and was able to give him gps coordinates to an opening the chopper was able to land in and haul the two off. After seeing how prepared I was, S&R went against their policy and allowed me to ride my sled out rather than making me hop on the chopper. I don't carry a single thing to this day that I didn't have that night. I later found out S&R was called about 7:00 at night by the wife/mother of the two guys. The reason they were called so early is b/c they knew their loved ones weren't prepared to survive the night on the supplies they carried. I thought this was way to early but to each there own...

I came away from this knowing that even though my pack may weigh 7 lbs more than yours...it's well worth every ounce. The most valuable things this night were a charged cell phone and a Garmin Rhino GPS. I only weigh 160 lbs and have no problem carrying my Ortovox pack and still keep up with/outride some very good riders. I don't want to hear no excuses...

Premium Features