• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Back Country rider/realtor

mn2mtns

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2008
Montevideo, MN
I am looking for a realtor in western or southwestern Colorado who is a true back country rider and will understand what we are truly looking for. We are looking for some property for a cabin in the future where we can ride right from our door and get into good and fun backcountry/trackless rides. Not in a rush. Just trying to get some retirement plans started. Have at least another 10 yrs before retirement.

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
I am looking for a realtor in western or southwestern Colorado who is a true back country rider and will understand what we are truly looking for. We are looking for some property for a cabin in the future where we can ride right from our door and get into good and fun backcountry/trackless rides. Not in a rush. Just trying to get some retirement plans started. Have at least another 10 yrs before retirement.

Look into wilderness cabins north of Craig colorado

mn2mtns

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2008
Montevideo, MN
The term "wilderness" scares me. I am nervous enough about buying something and then having the surrounding area get a wilderness declaration. Thanks however. I will look at it.
Googled it and the one that was for sale that I found has been sold.

Last edited:
R
Feb 29, 2016
Don't go riding with your realtor... When I moved to CO in 2003 the guy who sold me the house took me up riding. I should have known the Cat "Powder Special" he was riding was going to be a liability. By 11 am he was hopelessly stuck in a ravine. By 6pm I was calling search and rescue to get him and the sled out. Granted the snow was epic, the sno cat almost got stuck trying to get to him. Never rode with that guy again...

I wouldn't take advice on riding from a realtor, just my experience. After years of looking all over Colorado we settled in the SW part of the state. We are usually the only group in the parking lot to go riding on the weekends. We get epic snow and the weather is mild. I am sitting here, at home, looking right at the mountains we ride, only a 15 mile drive to the parking lot.

There are precious few places you can have a home/cabin and ride in/out of the choice terrain. I would give up that part of the plan as it will limit you. This isn't MN where that works from so many places. Being willing to drive up from the valleys opens up a lot more riding choices and makes "living" much much easier than a remote cabin. Unless you like hauling water and paying to keep something plowed out all winter, I would give up on the ride in/out plan.

I can definitely hook you up with a good realtor down here but he doesn't know a thing about sledding LOL.

Grand Lake, CO has some 'close to trail, ride from house' properties. But I do not know of any local realtors that are serious 'riders'.

I get the angle you're going for (finding a realtor that understands your passion), but I don't think finding a realtor that 'rides' is nearly as important as finding one that knows the area and can 'translate' what you say you want and need into a property that fits.

All that being said, I would recommend giving Donna Ready a call at Mountain Lakes Properties in Grand Lake. They have a good Website too, if you just want to browse.

Premium Features