• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys vs Turbo Pro

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Axys: $14K
Pro RMK Holdover: $9K - Turbo Kit - $5K - Total $14K
So, considering cost is similar, what would you rather have, a turbo'd pro or a NA Axys?

I realize boost isn't for everyone and reliability likely will suffer to some extent. Still, I've been blown away with the ease of use and reliability of the latest gen turbo kits...

Figured this would be fun food for though for those considering getting a new sled next year. I recently boosted my 14 Pro and have a hard time thinking selling it and *paying* $2K+ to go to a NA Axys will be a step forward.

Thoughts?

maurfello

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2009
Washington
The turbo. The thing that will sway people to the NA option is the warranty & the "pull and go" ability (ease of use).

PRO RMK 800

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I would go with the axys. Years ago I had a 09 t-m8 and I bought my wife an 11 pro. Anything my sled would do the pro would do easier or better. Obviously the power wasn't the same but When my wife didn't go I would take her pro even though I had the choice of riding it or the turbo. Power is way easier to remedy then handling and if the axys is that much better than the pro I would take the axys hands down.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Turbo the axys;) all joking aside I've pondered this in my head a lot. Turboing my 15' or getting an Axys. I'm planning on keeping my 15' another year so that's why I'm thinking of waiting to turbo and doing a 17' axys turbo plus I figure by then they have the kits worked out with the new h.o. I can't imagine you regretting your decision of having a turbo'd pro. I don't even want to ride an axys until the end of next season!

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Turbo. The NA 800 always left me wanting more power, to me it always felt light for an 800 vs the other brand I came off of. New chassis, new motor. I'd wait and let that one burn in for a season or 2 first...

A
Mar 14, 2011
Saskatoon, SK
Interesting thread. I bought a used turbo pro with tons of mods this winter. With the lack of snow I haven't really had an opportunity to stretch its legs and see what I have.

Yesterday, though, we found nice weather, nice terrain, and untouched snow. Not super deep but enough to separate the stockers from my turbo. I was climbing everything I chose to, doing any line I could imagine, turning up hill and giving 'er... Pretty sweet. It is nice to be able to climb whatever you want.

That said, I have an Axys 3" 163 on snowcheck and the turbo is up for sale. I just can't get comfortable with a sled that requires so much maintenance, bring your own av gas, super loud, on the heavy side, no warranty... It's definitely a personal thing. Basically the age old warranty vs modded decision. I'm choosing warranty.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Axys. Been there done that. Sick of wasting time / riding days trying to fix or tune a boosted sled, sick of messing with programmers. Gas, Oil, and pull the rope and have fun. New stock sleds will go anywhere. Get the turbo if you want to climb shutes all day. Eric

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
Absolutely a turbo.

Turbos these days are pull rope and go especially with pump gas options at elevation now (MTNTK, VOHK) to say get a turbo for climbing chutes all day is just wrong, it does depend on the rider of course but I USE that turbo power in tight trees and boondocking all day long.

C

CForest

Nov 23, 2010
Montana
Can get a silber turbo on sale right now for $3500 with external wastegate and $3000 without. That'd be my vote.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
It will cost you about $5000 to make the Pro handle like the axys and you will still be heavier.

FWIW. Axys snowchecks I have heard about are around 12. Plus it's going to cost you more than 5 to get the full turbo kit.

Here is the other thought. Once you build the pro what is it worth when you are done. The Axys will still be worth something. Good luck getting much out of your Pro. Sad, just how it is right now.

C

CForest

Nov 23, 2010
Montana
It will cost you about $5000 to make the Pro handle like the axys and you will still be heavier.

FWIW., Axys snowchecks I have heard about are around 12. Plus it's going to cost you more than 5 to get the full turbo

Care to elaborate on those big price quotes? Theres no way it will cost 5k to make a pro handle as well as a axys. Same crappy shocks, same stance front end, same skis etc. Not saying the axys isn't better, cause there is no doubt it is, but 5k is quite an exaggeration. And as far as the turbo goes it depends on how far you want to take it. Lots of good used kits laying around, and as I stated before good end of season deals. Can be done for much less than 5k if wanted just depends on what else a guy wants to put with it. Resale values are certainly something to consider as well.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
All interesting comments. I have Silbers kit and its been pull and go thus far. Never owned a boosted sled before and honestly I'd have a tough time going back. Night and day difference between the stock pro - (no surprise obviously). Throwing a gallon or two of 110 into each tank hasn't really bothered me either.

FWIW, I don't notice an increase in weight (though I know there is one). The newer turbos are pretty light. No oil tank, eliminates the stock can (obviously). I'd say I picked up 10-15 pounds? (actually curious - anyone know?)

I should have mentioned, I don't care too much about climbing the gnarliest chute or hill. I want a good "technical tree" sled and something that'll put the biggest grin on my face in deep snow.

I'm thinking I'll ride my turbo pro one more season and let the bugs get worked out of the new Axys. Maybe even

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Axys isn't $14k.

Good point...but then again, there are deals on turbo kits too. I think my point still holds up. Turboing a hold over can be had for close to the same price as picking up an Axys...

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Care to elaborate on those big price quotes? Theres no way it will cost 5k to make a pro handle as well as a axys. Same crappy shocks, same stance front end, same skis etc. Not saying the axys isn't better, cause there is no doubt it is, but 5k is quite an exaggeration. And as far as the turbo goes it depends on how far you want to take it. Lots of good used kits laying around, and as I stated before good end of season deals. Can be done for much less than 5k if wanted just depends on what else a guy wants to put with it. Resale values are certainly something to consider as well.

I rode the AXYS RMK. They aren't the SAME crappy shocks and they AREN'T the same crappy stance/front end. You are wrong. I was told the 15 arms won't mount onto the 16.

When I went back and forth from the Axys to the 15 Pro, there was NO comparison on the difference in handling and suspension, stock sled to stock sled. NO comparison.

I've got a $4k set of four Elka Stage 5 shocks and I'm pretty close to getting them dialed in. I've got some fine tuning to do on the RTS, but the FTS is really close and ski shocks are REALLY close.

When I got on my sled, after the demo ride I noticed it was in between the handling of the 15 Pro and Axys.

Believe me, I think Outlaw Addict might be close when he says it takes $5k to make a Pro handle like an AXYS.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Good point...but then again, there are deals on turbo kits too. I think my point still holds up. Turboing a hold over can be had for close to the same price as picking up an Axys...

There are always exceptions to the rule, but I'm not sure you can really count on pulling the starter on a turbo at $5k and have it be good. I know people locally who have Silbers and they spent more like $6 when it was all said and done.

Last edited:
J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Not sure you can really count on pulling the starter on a turbo at $5k and have it be good. I know people locally who have Silbers and they spent more like $6 when it was all said and done.

With respect to pre ECU-reflash Silber stuff I'd agree. Latest stuff seems to be as pull and go as any turbo could be. Same with the latest BD stuff (though it is more expensive).

In any regard, my sled is pull and go...and I'm far from a real mechanic/tuner. I know, sample size of n=1 isn't exactly much to go off. Nor is the number of miles on the kit.

In any case I still think my "case study" is within the realm of "reasonable" for debate. The delta in price between the two, while certainly there, is still going to be within 10% (reasonable)

Last edited:
Premium Features