• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avy Beacons: Old vs New?

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
A friend just told me his avy beacon dates back to 2005. I'm trying to convince him that he needs to upgrade, but I don't have the facts. Help please? :)

(I run a new Pieps Powder BT, fwiw)

Last edited:

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
What beacon is it? From that era, it could be analog instead of digital. It could also be a single or double antenna. Modern beacons are digital and three antenna - major upgrades over 2005 technology.

If it's a BCA Tracker from that era, they're known to drop one of the two antenna without an easy way for the user to know it. If the direction arrow is way off while searching, that's why.

Make him get a new one before you ride with him again. Or make him take an avalanche class so the instructor can explain why it's time for a new beacon. Or make him contact the manufacturer for the same reason - none of them would tell him to keep using it.

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
Dunno... he just said it was yellow... so probably a Tracker or something. I haven't gotten him to pick a new one yet so I gave up and ordered a Black Diamond Recon X as a "spare" beacon so I can loan it to him.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
Me and my buddies bca tracker from 2009 Era took a **** this winter. My battery door broke a round the nut and my buddies wouldn't send a signal until he banged the **** out. I went over to polaris west and bought the ortovox voice

P
Apr 5, 2019
La pine, Or
Ask him if his life is worth $400 for a new up to date tracker. Pretty easy answer should be yes because i don’t want to have a chance of dieing for $400. Also how much does he spend on his sled gear truck and fuel etc. a beacon is cheap.

Newer ones have better range and are WAY EASIER to use. The older analog have less antenna and they also put out their signal in a much less efficient way compared to new units. Get a tracker 4 easiest one to use. Also take a couple hours to learn how to use them properly or take a class.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
If your friend can't tell you "yeah, I looked into it, and it's still a solid beacon," I'd wonder about his attitude as much as the beacon. An older beacon may not be junk, but I'd definitely research the beacon before I'd trust it. "I don't know" means no. More importantly, so-so gear that you've practiced with is worth more than the best stuff with no experience. I'd also strongly plug an avalanche course: the analysis and decision-making elements are worth more than all the gear in the world. I'd personally rather go riding with some knowledge and no gear than the best gear and no knowledge.

Anyway, I've got an Ortovox beacon - it works well, and I think they're better made than most - the downside is, apparently they've switched to a built-in battery instead of AAs. I'll echo what @Pine Rob said: there's not excuse for riding around with an obsolete beacon. You don't need to upgrade that often and you probably don't need the fanciest one, but it's not a place you want to take your chances with a questionable hand-me-down.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
i would love to hear more people's opinion's on the absolute easiest and best performing beacon to use. i need a new one.
Mammut Barryvox, either version. They've remained basically unchanged for years and just work. All the other brands/models have been plagued by recalls and other issues. The BCA T4 is good, but has a short range when in worst-case-scenario orientation. They've been supportive of snowmobiling since the early days, so get a bit of a "pass" in my opinion. Pieps/Black Diamond have had switch issues that they never really owned up to, and they are anti-snowmobile and support the Winter Wildlands Alliance. Ortovox keeps trying something new but nothing seems to stick - they've had more new models than succesful models. Arva sounds good but I don't have personal experience with them.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Honestly, I'd see if you can get ahold of someone who does avalanche training. If you've only practiced with one for a while (which would be most of us), that's going to be the one that's "best." Those guys learn to use them all because they have people showing up with just about everything, and they have to be able to show them how to use their beacon. If there's one brand that people tend to struggle with, they'd know, and they'd at least have some pointers as to what to look for. Maybe somebody here fits that description... I bet if you could find a refresher course, that'd be a way to pick some people's brains and go hands on with a few different models.

I was also going to mention @Pickin’ Boogers point about anti-snowmobiling brands - up to you if that's an overriding consideration or not. I like my Ortovox (five-year-old model) because it's simple, well-made, and one battery means as soon as you see the the battery strength drop off, you just drop in a new AA. There have been some complaints about range over the years, and the new voice direction idea might be half baked (again, something someone who does avalanche training would have some idea on), so I'm not married to them at all.

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
I poured over reviews for several days before choosing the Pieps Bowder BT. I wanted something that had very good ratings in all areas but was still somewhat affordable.

snowpatrol

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Puyallup WA.
Mammut Barryvox, either version. They've remained basically unchanged for years and just work. All the other brands/models have been plagued by recalls and other issues. The BCA T4 is good, but has a short range when in worst-case-scenario orientation. They've been supportive of snowmobiling since the early days, so get a bit of a "pass" in my opinion. Pieps/Black Diamond have had switch issues that they never really owned up to, and they are anti-snowmobile and support the Winter Wildlands Alliance. Ortovox keeps trying something new but nothing seems to stick - they've had more new models than succesful models. Arva sounds good but I don't have personal experience with them.
thanks for the info. yes i try not to buy from companies that hate us and want us gone. there are a lot of them. coors is one of the biggest anti snowmobile companies out there. i will check out the mammut.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Stick to BCA, Mammut and Arva. I have been using Track 3's and the Tracker 3+ and I like them they have good range. During my Avalanche Level 1 class we had all of them the Arva had the longest distance to signal pickup. It really all boils down to know your equipment and know the in's and out of it. Be familiar with all the different modes beeps and buttons. Be able to access it quickly in rescue situations. Practice with it understand the range and numbers. Also support companies that support the snowmobiling committee.

snowpatrol

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Puyallup WA.
Stick to BCA, Mammut and Arva. I have been using Track 3's and the Tracker 3+ and I like them they have good range. During my Avalanche Level 1 class we had all of them the Arva had the longest distance to signal pickup. It really all boils down to know your equipment and know the in's and out of it. Be familiar with all the different modes beeps and buttons. Be able to access it quickly in rescue situations. Practice with it understand the range and numbers. Also support companies that support the snowmobiling committee.
thank you. i've never heard of arva.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Another vote for Mammut. I have a Pulse (backup) and the "S" as my primary. If your buddy doesn't think a beacon is one of the most important pieces of gear he owns and is willing to upgrade it to potentially save YOUR life, then he needs to find a new riding partner!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I had an old analog SOS beacon for years from about the same era the OP was talking about. Old tech, but I was proficient with it. If your friend can't do a search proficiently with the old one then that's all the more reason he needs a newer, user firendly model (he should practice with the new one anyway). Then about 6-7 years ago I discovered it had a broken battery tab so it was only working intermittently. Buddy got his GF pregnant and sold his sled so I bought his year-old Ortovox 3+ from him. The 3+ is no longer available it looks like. Simple to use, but the Ortovox beacons resort back to transmit after a certain amount of time in search. Have to be aware of that in lengthy search operation. Probably about time to retire this one to the spare status and get a new one for next year too.

Bought my dad a BCA Tracker 4 for Christmas after reading reviews and local dealership had a sale on them.

Moral of the story:

Magical device.jpg

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Poor guy swears to this day it was his choice. :rolleyes: Just to maintain some sort of facade that he has a choice in things I think.

Premium Features