• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

AvGas Question

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
Well, I bought a bunch of Av a week and a half ago for my weekend trip that got rearranged so i ended up not using all of it. It is in white tuff jugs on my deck currently. Last Friday I filled up some more white tuff jugs with new fuel for another two day trip. So now I have (4) 5 gallon jugs of new and (1) week old 5 gallon jug. My question is that the one jug that has been sitting for a week longer seems to be losing color and almost a yellowy-green now.

Does AvGas change color? Or lose color in the sun? Is it maybe changing the color of the plastic jug?? Any info would help, trying not to have to dump it out of worry….

Thanks!

www.BLOWNMOTOR.com

H
Feb 28, 2012
I have a 55 gal jug in my trailer and it looks green

From what I understand the fuel can change color and it is normal for av gas not to always look blue. i was so worried about it because Woog tuned my sled with that greenish color av gas that was in my 55gal drum. When I filled up my 5gal jugs at the airport they were blue. I was so worried I would have to take it back just to get re tuned but after talking to a fellow vohk built pro owner he said its normal. Sure enough my sled runs the same and no issues at all.

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Sunlight does f*ck up gas and it should never be stored in a clear container, I don't know if that short of a time would be a problem.
jmo

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
Sunlight does f*ck up gas and it should never be stored in a clear container, I don't know if that short of a time would be a problem.
jmo

Am I wrong in what I have been told in the past that AvGas is the most stable fuel sold, and does not lose octane or go bad over time? Just curious, also the cans are not clear, but white, I get that theory though.

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
Av gas has a lower vapor pressure than regular gasoline and race fuel, therefore it doesn't vapor off the "goodies" as readily as other types of fuel. Many refineries achieve their octane and vapor pressure spec with the addition of propanes and butanes to their fuel and we all know what propane and butane do when open to the atmosphere. Av gas should last a lot longer without degrading but uv rays from sunlight do accelerate degradation of any fuel.

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
I have seen fuel stored in white containers (do not know the UV rating), stored outside go skunky over the summer. AV fuel is stable but the fact it changed color would concern me. Do you have a lot of lawn to cut this summer? No expert.................. JMO

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I store mine in barrels in a storage shed.
Have had some in there for 3 years and its still blue when I use it.
As long as the container is sealed it should last about 5 years.

...and kept cool and out of the sun....

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
Hmm you wouldn't think one week in the winter would be that harsh, i understand these thoughts in the summer in a 90 degree heat for months, but sheesh. Guess it is not worth a 9 thousand dollar motor and turbo, dumb the 30 bucks into the Subaru Justy lol.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Hmm you wouldn't think one week in the winter would be that harsh, i understand these thoughts in the summer in a 90 degree heat for months, but sheesh. Guess it is not worth a 9 thousand dollar motor and turbo, dumb the 30 bucks into the Subaru Justy lol.

UV resistant cans make a big difference.

I wouldnt' think 1 week in the winter would be toooo damaging though.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Get it out of the sun, mix it with the other av you have, you'll be fine. DO NOT dump in in your car, it will f up the catalitic (sp?) converter because it contains lead.

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
Get it out of the sun, mix it with the other av you have, you'll be fine. DO NOT dump in in your car, it will f up the catalitic (sp?) converter because it contains lead.
Yep very true just replaced my o2 sensers and they told me it was my fuel ,because I added 10 gallons of av and maybe 3 gallons of c-12 engine light came on in about 45 min.:face-icon-small-sho

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Just run it in your lawn mower...mix it about 25%...and you'll have a good smelling lawn mower.

mmmm i love the smell of avgas and fresh cut grass! Av all I run in mt equipmnet . It eliminates storage problems like gumming etc.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I have a 1956 D4 cat, the kind with the gas pup engine that starts the diesel engine. All I ever use in the pup is av because I don't use the thing much and it tends to sit for quite awhile sometimes. The av just seems to be better suited to siting over time than normal gas, and I get the av smell when I'm flashing the cat. :face-icon-small-ton

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Geez if your talking to me I piss people off every day, I seem to have a talent for it. :face-icon-small-hap

E

everytime5.9

Jan 23, 2009
IDAHO
Avgas does have a lot longer shelf life then pump gas, but its extremely sensitive to sunlight. If exposed to sunlight it will quickly break down and you'll see the lead settle towards the bottom of the container. Mixed Avgas does start to coagulate but I've never seen it happen that fast.

Premium Features