• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avalanche and Garmin Rhinos

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
My family & I all wear the Collet snofones. I contacted Tracker Beacons and they said it would not cause interference. I was comfortable with that but after reading this... I wonder.
One of the comments above asked about the buried victim keying the mic. No way will this happen. The compaction of the snow is incredible. Then add the friction/heat followed by a quick freeze. Not much wiggle room in there.

Again still not sure if you can ping them without having to PTT. Regardless if you could hit the PTT wouldnt it be worth it? All I am saying if you or a buddy is buried any other tool that gives a chance at recover would be worth it imo. Esp since most of us buy GPS and Radios anyway. Not attacking your post just food for thought is all.

M
(just thinking out loud and not suggesting replacing a beacon) The problem with GPS signals is the best work with a clear view of the sky. So as said on here already you may or may not recieve signal under snow. My guess the deeper and the more dense the snow the worst the signal gets making the accuracy poor, or not be able to get a fix at all. I have heard that guys have had signal underwater but my guess at some point they will loose there fix with increase depth. The other thing with the Rino's is the grms signal would have to be transmitted as well. So that would be also effected with depth and density of snow, I would think.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Im too lazy to read all the posts... But the idea is moot , whatever moot is,, the buried guy would have to be able to push his talk button for the whole deal to work.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Okotoks
Rinos use the radio frequency for polling so if the person is out of range or they're buried and the rf signal is blocked, you couldn't get their location. This is why the polling has the same range as the 2-way radio. The gps coord's are transmitted through RF from Rino to Rino and not through satellite reception.

I read somewhere last year that a study/test was conducted to see if Rino's could be used for burials and if they were buried more than 1 ft it blocked any transmission.

Also, on units like the 530, your buddy does not need to push the ptt button to transmit a location. As long as both Rinos are on the same channel you can get their location. You can search for Rinos on the same channel or scan channels and when you find another Rino, you can add them to your contacts list.

One tip I read was that if everyone in your group had the same 7 letters/digits in the beginning of their contact name (ie calgary1 thru 4), when you poll one buddy it will actually poll all of them and show their locations (within range). I haven't had a chance to try this yet since I haven't had all of my friends with rinos in one place yet.

Last edited:
E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
The reason to turn off radios when using a beacon in receive is the mixer inside the radio. 455kHz is a common frequency to use, and it's 2kHz off the beacon's frequency. My computer will trigger my beacon if I move them around near each other.

I wouldn't trust GPS to give a location of a victim... again, you're real likely to lose the signal in the snow. Probably better off thinkign a little, marking off last seen spots and where the snow deposited and starting from there than futzing around trying to get to the GPS location from the radio.

Premium Features