• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

atacc- any good?

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
i have a 02 edge, do the holtzman atacc work pretty good. id rather ride than jet but i dont want to fry anything

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
i have a 02 edge, do the holtzman atacc work pretty good. id rather ride than jet but i dont want to fry anything

I've installed the ATAAC on 2 of my own sleds (2001 EDGE-X 600, 2002 EDGE-X 800) plus 3 of my bud's sleds. EXCELLENT RESULTS ON ALL, Improved throttle response, acceleration, mileage and performance.

Jet it for minus 20 F, and never worry about it. I usually ride in Northern Wisc and the U.P. and trailer our short track sleds to Yellowstone every 2 years or so.

A couple of tips when installing the ATAAC on the 02 EDGE. Install both units inside the airbox below the shelf, right side adjacent to the brake caliper.

For the vacuum source on top of the carb, drill and tap for 1/8" pipe and obtain a 1/8" pipe to 1/4" slip on line brass fitting from the hardware store instead of the press in fitting that's included in the HOLTZMAN kit.

I wish my 2007 DRAGON 700 was as responsive and got the fuel mileage that my 2002 EDGE-X 800 did.:cool:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I also had one on an 02 vertical edge and worked great with the drastic elevation changes here. I jetted it so that I could ride at home @ 7,000 feet when we had blizzards and where we ride at 10-13k feet.

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
The key to the atacc working well is a proper installation, my 02 800 RMK worked very well. A buddy had one installed on his 03 Escape that caused him nothing but grief.

W
Oct 27, 2008
Alberta
What kind of troubles did your buddy have? I have one on a 02 800 and was having problems getting both cyl burning the same. Installed it just like the picture. May have had something to do with the exhaust valve that dropped, (big mess), will find out in the fall.

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
If I remember right, one of the sensing lines did not go up high enough, so the compensation did not work properly. Or it could have been just an excuse for when my sled kicked his sleds butt!! I sold the 02, and the guy who owns it now did manage to destroy the motor from riding it in to cold of weather for the Atacc to compensate.

Last edited:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
What kind of troubles did your buddy have? I have one on a 02 800 and was having problems getting both cyl burning the same. Installed it just like the picture. May have had something to do with the exhaust valve that dropped, (big mess), will find out in the fall.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that the ATAAC Unit itself could possibly alter the jetting to individual cylinders. The single unit comes to a tee that connects to both carb pressure bowl vent lines, unless the tee or lines to one of the carbs had a partial restriction in it.

If yours wasn't working properly why not call Mr. Holtzman the fuel system guru and inquire, he actually does take phone calls. (715) 479-3759

With respect to your unit not working properly you may want to check the following:
1) The CONTROL CHAMBER (white small cylindrical object that mounts on a single 3/8" stud) actually needs to move in/out freely, is there a chance it's hitting/rubbing against something?? Sometimes you need to install a simple flat washer between it and the mounting surface (not included in kit)
2) The COMPENSATOR w/foam/sponge filter (check if it's dirty) should be BELOW the shelf in the air box.(and above the CONTROL CHAMBER/white cylindrical unit)
3) 1/4" vacuum line to the carbs-approx 18"-24" in length (sounds wacky but it matters)
4) Are you jetted for minus 20* F ??????? @ YOUR BASE ALTITUDE, the LOWEST ALTITUDE you're going to run at????
5) Check for vacuum leak @ the top of the carb, I prefer to use an 1/8" pipe fitting (obtain @ hardware store-not included in kit) rather than the supplied "press in" fitting

I ran the ATAAC for over 5000 miles on my 2002 EDGE-X 800, and for 4000+ miles on my 2001 EDGE-X 600, and NEVER had a problem. BEST $245.00 mod I ever installed, period.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
W
Oct 27, 2008
Alberta
Everyone of those things you mentioned, I did. The install looks exactly like the installation picture. I checked the crank seals also. I'm thinking that the exhaust valve started going about the same time I installed the ATAAC. The exhaust port was 98% closed off with the melted aluminum valve. It now has the SS valves in it. I was only able to get one short local ride in after the repair before the season ended.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
BEST $245.00 mod I ever installed, period.

i agree with this 100% i debated over an atacc for a few years before getting one last season. wow, i won't ride a carb sled without one now.

pv

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
They work as advertised. I did one on my '02 Edge mod and EGT's stayed consistant regardless of temp or altitude. I did feel like it performed slightly better using straight jetting but I never played with the ATACC jetting enough to see if I could get it to perform even better. The one problem is if you roll the sled, get fuel in all the lines and have to unplug the blue hose and lose your "baseline". Also, the baseline needs to be "re-baselined" occasionally as it eventually bleeds off the trapped atmosphere...but that's a simple 30-second procedure. Good product!

Premium Features