• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ARO S Ride Reports?

C
Apr 22, 2019
Just checking in to see if anyone has an update yet on an ARO S ride report.

I consider myself a well above average dirt bike rider (40 years of racing and riding)...but a beginner level snow-biker...this being my 8th ride snowbiking.

I got a chance to ride my 2019 ARO 137 with 1" shortened shocks (Timbersled spec length) and shorter spindle one time before switching my ride over to the dealer demo ARO 3 which is now in S configuration. I have not ridden the ARO 3S yet.

I noticed that the track spun up faster than before the S mod, and that it initiated turns easier. I also loved the shorter seat height as it seemed to make balancing while riding and doing transitions easier. I have a short (27") inseam...and balancing when coming to a stop is much easier. Overall, it felt like the bike was lighter and easier to manage. The snow was not great as it is early in the season...but I am really excited to experience my ARO 3.

I have seen some people voice concerns as to the 2.5-3" lower skid plate or pegs...but do not know why this is a concern as the bike is directly behind the front ski...which is cutting a path for the whole bike...and the whole underbelly is still taller than most snowmobiles.

I weigh 245 stepping out of the shower (short and stocky), and outfitted my kit with 275# springs both front and rear...with the rear having 1/2" of pre-load...and the front 1/8" Timbersled sets up the ARO S model with 250# springs both front and rear with 1/2" of pre-load on the rear...and 1/4" on the front shock. Since there is not a shorter TRIO option yet for the S kits...I had a local suspension guy set up my forks with .64 springs...and his snow-bike valving...and it seems to be working out well...the bike feels balanced on the suspension.

Overall...I give this S combo a big thumbs up!

Chris

Last edited:

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Curious as well. I am sure they tested it and it has some benefits. I make a very conscious effort on my dirtbike and especially my Snowbike to ride on the balls of my feet (or even my toes) so i don’t destroy my feet on an obstacle. If my pegs were 3 inches lower cutting through the snow yes, that might make me a little nervous.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
I wrote a review of the lowered kits on the how to lower your TS thread.

To retell the tale.

So far on my Riot and Dan's ARO.

1. the 2 inch and a little bit lower seat height is a bonus stopping on hard pack, yes you can hold your self up on tip toes and almost flat flooted in my KLIM boots. nice

2. more agile feel everywhere, most notable stuffing the bike into a hard corner on a packed trail, way easier to rail a berm like a fun day on a YZ125, hate to use the over worked idea that its more like a motorcycle, but it is.

3. Because we made some adjustments to our shocks on shortening and rebuilding them, our suspension improved on the bumps and trail junk. Thats a bonus. Did we notice a loss of travel, no so far. Lots of trading bikes and adjusting.

4. We initially shortened our shocks 1.3" and slid the forks up about 2", and then adjusted some. First ride our fixed strut same as last year. After swapping and adjusting, we improved the front end......made it lighter feeling and a little less nervous on junky trails by shortening our struts about .200 or so, did it 2 turns of the road a couple of times and compared. Might go back when the snow gets deeep and flufffy.

5. careful modest tree riding/exploring in first gear, lower height very noticable. Two new stock bike with kits....Beta/YZ, rode and compared, pretty noticable difference in feel and setup.

Pretty happy with the improvement so far.

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho
I tried my lowered kit last weekend, and while there are benefits as people have pointed out I missed the extra travel more than I thought I would. I hoped the shallower approach angle would help get on top of the snow, the difference in reality was minimal. Riding back to back with a full height kit I noticed my feet dragging in the snow more too. If I could have it lowered without losing the suspension travel I would, but returned my bike is back to full height now.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
I wrote a review of the lowered kits on the how to lower your TS thread.

To retell the tale.

So far on my Riot and Dan's ARO.

1. the 2 inch and a little bit lower seat height is a bonus stopping on hard pack, yes you can hold your self up on tip toes and almost flat flooted in my KLIM boots. nice

2. more agile feel everywhere, most notable stuffing the bike into a hard corner on a packed trail, way easier to rail a berm like a fun day on a YZ125, hate to use the over worked idea that its more like a motorcycle, but it is.

3. Because we made some adjustments to our shocks on shortening and rebuilding them, our suspension improved on the bumps and trail junk. Thats a bonus. Did we notice a loss of travel, no so far. Lots of trading bikes and adjusting.

4. We initially shortened our shocks 1.3" and slid the forks up about 2", and then adjusted some. First ride our fixed strut same as last year. After swapping and adjusting, we improved the front end......made it lighter feeling and a little less nervous on junky trails by shortening our struts about .200 or so, did it 2 turns of the road a couple of times and compared. Might go back when the snow gets deeep and flufffy.

5. careful modest tree riding/exploring in first gear, lower height very noticable. Two new stock bike with kits....Beta/YZ, rode and compared, pretty noticable difference in feel and setup.

Pretty happy with the improvement so far.
Mike what do you do to shorten the stock shocks?

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
On our two bikes, I put an aluminum spacer 1.3" between the piston and the cap which shortens your shock. While I had them apart I added some rebound dampening and ported the pistons, nothing huge but for sure seems some better.

C
Apr 22, 2019
I tried my lowered kit last weekend, and while there are benefits as people have pointed out I missed the extra travel more than I thought I would. I hoped the shallower approach angle would help get on top of the snow, the difference in reality was minimal. Riding back to back with a full height kit I noticed my feet dragging in the snow more too. If I could have it lowered without losing the suspension travel I would, but returned my bike is back to full height now.
How much do you weigh...in lbs?

I weigh 247 lbs stepping out of the shower...I went from the stock 250# springs that come with the S kits to 275# springs...and it is now perfect for me.

Chris

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho
How much do you weigh...in lbs?

I weigh 247 lbs stepping out of the shower...I went from the stock 250# springs that come with the S kits to 275# springs...and it is now perfect for me.

Chris

About 240. I have been running 225s at full height, 250 lowered. I was thinking 275s would be a better choice than the 250s along with a taller bottoming bumper in the rear.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Rode our two lowered kits in our deepest snow of the year, running hard in 3rd flat to shallow grade road North facing slope up an Idaho canyon searching for traction. If any thing when you can grab just a little more speed I think our shallower track approach angle climbs up on top faster. We both felt the same.......ARO & Riot, maybe it was just the odd deep snow with some crust, up higher more snow but sun and wind had set it up and we suprised ourselves with some climbs through what looked softer than it was. Anyway, so far, all good.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Mind me asking where you found the heavier springs? I'm on last years Riot LE kit, and sure see to have an issue with lack of suspension travel. I'm 210 on the scale, but add gas can, tool bag, lunch, all your gear etc, gotta be another 50 in there I'd say..
Seems to sack easy, and honestly, isn't overly playful ie: wheelie wise

C
Apr 22, 2019
Mind me asking where you found the heavier springs? I'm on last years Riot LE kit, and sure see to have an issue with lack of suspension travel. I'm 210 on the scale, but add gas can, tool bag, lunch, all your gear etc, gotta be another 50 in there I'd say..
Seems to sack easy, and honestly, isn't overly playful ie: wheelie wise

Premium Features