Are these bad reeads?

Melfjord

Sep 17, 2012
As shown in the image and video, are these bad reeds? there are no cracks or chip missing. But one of the sides (on both cages) have a 0.0098" of a gap. And when trying to flick the petals, one side give a clear snap when closing. The other side give more of a thump.

I have tried mixing the petals up, and flipping them around, but they still show up with the same gap or worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCbjvYprtJU

Attachments

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
Hold them up to a light. If you see any light at all come through they are junk

Melfjord

Sep 17, 2012
Okei, Should i get brand new ones, or can i get some kind of petal repair kit? Or is the entire assembly worn out?

boondocker97

Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
You can buy just the replacement petals from Arctic Cat for about $35 each. Boyesen makes aftermarket replacement petals as well. Their stock equivalent is about 1/2 price of Cat. They have some that may offer a little better performance as well. Although, if I were going for performance on a reed replacement I'd replace the whole assembly with their Rage Cage. Depends on your budget and goals.

Coldfinger

Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I have been wondering if I should replace my reeds. Hadn’t thought about replacing just the petals but now I am. Petals are around $130.

When replacing petals, are the oem screws loctited and do you need to use heat to get them out?

Mine have approx 4000 miles on them. I havent noticed any running issues or hard starting.

Last edited:

Melfjord

Sep 17, 2012
Boyesen, got superstock reed petals for 34 dollar per cylinder. The screws are not locktited, but should be when reinstalling