• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are there any proclaimed dog experts here?

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
My wife and son have a little Pug dog and he is almost 2 years old. He has always "marked" everywhere in our house and I am constantly shampooing carpets where he pizzes. I can only imagine that he is gonna get worse after the new baby gets here. I am at my wits end! Short of blowing this little chit off the face of the earth, what can I do?

We have had him fixed and try to keep him outside all day and then kennel him at night. But it's hard to keep the dogs outside when it is bellow zero most of the time.

I am willing to try anything because he is my kid's dog and he loves him, but honestly I am 5 minutes away from putting him down.:mad::mad:

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
We have a small dog and experienced the same problem. We "crate" trained him and the problem has dissapeared.

Sleeps at night in the crate and then whenever he comes out its straight to his potty spot(p pad in the laundry room). If he doesn't go...back into the crate.

All meals eaten in the crate and then straight to his potty spot. If we are not interacting or watching him closely he is in the crate.

lil dizzle is a long haired chiuhuahua and only weighs 3lbs full grown...going outside in the winter just isn't an option. He gets lost in 2 inches of snow!

Felt bad at first, but now whenever I can't find him there he is sitting in his crate with the door open.

Last edited:
R
Dec 2, 2007
Libby, Mt
We have a small dog and experienced the same problem. We "crate" trained him and the problem has dissapeared.

Sleeps at night in the crate and then whenever he comes out its straight to his potty spot(p pad in the laundry room). If he doesn't go...back into the crate.

All meals eaten in the crate and then straight to his potty spot. If we are not interacting or watching him closely he is in the crate.

lil dizzle is a long haired chiuhuahua and only weighs 3lbs full grown...going outside in the winter just isn't an option. He gets lost in 2 inches of snow!

Felt bad at first, but now whenever I can't find him there he is sitting in his crate with the door open.

Did same thing with mine, when i tell them to go to bed they first go to door and want outside when they come back in they go straight to their bed.

Backcountry Bandit

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2008

THIS IS the BEST way. have a yorkie...well SHE does lol. i nearly killed it i was sooo effin mad at it pissin all the time. i have had 2 boxers previously and lost the battle to regain another one to this little bugga. for 5 months he pissed like 5 times a day in the house. i was at wits end.... and we did crate train him from the get go. so i talked to a few "professional trainers" and they said we werent being strict enuff with the crate training. ONLY let him out to pee and eat. and if he didnt piss outside ....back in the crate. man the noises that little fart made were incredible. i felt we were being so cruel. but he now pisses OUTSIDE. took about 2 weeks of sticking to our guns...it was torture for him AND us, but so worth it in the end. i still dont like these small critters. boxers are the ONLY way to go..lol

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
i would think it will be harder since it is 2. the puppies i have trained the sec they go or are going throw them out side they will catch some time. keep him in a small cage works good too when you let them out take him out side. they won't usally piss in there own bed

P
Jan 15, 2005
ND
Have used the crate or kennel technique for all my dogs. Start right when they are pups. Kennel (inside the house) at night and whenever we were gone. Keep an eye on them during the day and force them outside to go pee/poop frequently. They get a treat only when they do their business.

Soon they will learn the routine and they see the kennel as a safe area. Even during the day we would find the dogs sleeping in the open door kennel all of the time. The kennel is not punishment as long as it's in a warm area. It's there little "home". I don't use the kennel once my dogs are potty trained, but I have a buddy with two german shorthairs that uses the inside the house kennel all of the time and his dogs see it as a way of life.

I would start your dog on the kennel idea and only let him out to play or go potty to start. After a while he should get the idea.

S
Jan 1, 2005
Cedar Rapids, Ia.
Not an expert, but the baby comes first.

Congrats on the baby.
Sounds like the whole family is going to be spending alot of time watching this dogs every action, when it makes a move to mark something you need to be right there to correct(squirt bottle w/water-vinegar, newspaper to his azz, whatever gets results) and outside he goes. Once he's done his job outside, praise him with treats or attention, whatever he responds the best. When he can't be watched closely, keep in a kennel or outside. We are talking months to get this turned around, especially since there is a pattern & already marked territory. I also believe there is some products on the market to help better mask the previous pizzed areas so he's less likely remark them.
If he's 2, & been doing this the whole time, some else needs a azz beating too?(wife/kid)
Personally I would cut my loses, you've got a new born that is coming into the home that is going to need the love and attention that this dog is going to disrupt.

G

Gimpster

Training for potty breaks is going well with our Boxer.
We hung a bell from the door that she can ring when she needs to go. When we catch her pee'in, we ring a simular bell then walk her to the door and make her ring that bell then let her outside.
She has caught on pretty quick, and it lets us know when she needs to go out.
We have been using this method rather than being rude to her and it is working for us.

----- Gimpster -----

X

x-guy

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 12, 2007
Vancouver, BC
couple questions I had, I am no expert, but it might shed some light on which direction to get pointed in.

-Does it usually go back to the same areas to mark? or is it completely random?

-I personally am a big believer in pack mentality training, is your dog king of the house? what type of training methods do you use? and for dicipline?

-How did you go about house traning it? or has it ever been? Do you try to keep it to some sort of shedule? reward training?

-Do you have other pets or animals around, or in the house?

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
Try crate training. I've trained two German Shepherds in the last 6yrs and am training two pups (German Shepherds) right now. Crate training works good.

Whatever you do, be consistent. Remember they are an animal, and always revert to the pack mentality..............make sure its known you are the alpha.

Have patients and good luck and watch him like a hawk. Its never too late to teach a dog.
:beer;

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
And not to start a debate but I've read articles saying Pug's are the dumbest dog.

If all else fails, talk to the Dog Whisperer, Cesar!!!!!!!!!!!!

F
Nov 27, 2007
Helena, Montana
Smash Their face in it .........

I have two pugs ......... Pugs being far the hardest to house brake dogs ever of any I have owned!!!! They are not dumb ...... stubborn though.

I had to make mine sleep in a little carrier/kennal all night ...... first thing in the A.M. take em outside and wait till business is done ...... and reward them with praise and treats telling them good dog.

Let them run around the house but be watchful ........ if they pissed on the floor I rub their face in it and and tell them bad dog and kick them outside..... repeat this cycle a few times and they are quick to learn ......... outside = good dog = pets = cookie ............ inside equals azz beat (within humane reason!!!!) piss face mop :(

What would you do ???????? They cry and bark and get your attention now before they would consider having an accident.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Well, the one dog is a great dog but she is older. The young one is the problem. I had him trained well (I thought) during the summer but once Winter hit he started his crap all over again. They sleep in a crate all night and I let them out first thing in the morning to feed them. If the weather is 0°f and above I leave them outside. They have a little dogloo and we have a heated pad in there.

It doesn't seem to matter how long he has been outside, the minute we let him in he runs to one of two places, the cat food bowl (he gets a good azz beating for that) or into my sons room and pizzes right at the foot of the bed. We try to keep the door shut but the 4 year old is always opening it.

S
Jan 1, 2005
Cedar Rapids, Ia.
I think we can agree the consesus says, crate/kennel will need to be part of its regiment. Fair & consistent measures are key to getting back on track. They must be treated as a dog, not like a kid. Keep strict boundaries & limitations, don't give in because it seems mean or they've done something cute. Swift corrections with strong praise once they responded to what's needed. Not to sure about results from rubbing nose/face in it, remember a dog will eat or roll in just about anything, plus they tend to lick piss/**** anyhow?
Shepards shown to be in the top #3 as smartest, Pugs in the bottom #3, doesn't mean that they can't be trained, you just have to be more patient!
Had shepards most my life, never needed the crate/kennel as part of it potty training. The only times I can recall potty problems in the house, was when a female was in later part of the pregnancy, or we had this old male Duke(15+, almost unheard of)that had arthritis real bad, if he couldn't get himself up or you weren't there to help him up, he would mess himself right where he layed.

Premium Features