• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Apex diet - What really works?

Headrush

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
We have a couple of Apex's and are wanting to get one a diet. I know there are many threads about ways to lighten them up, but I am interested to hear what works best for the $ - in the real world - in the backcountry. Boost right now isn't an option, so looking to hear about people's experiences prior to and after they spent money making the pig lighter.

Also, for those of you running aftermarket seats, I'd love to hear about BOSS vs. Mountain mod - likes and dislikes.

Thanks!

:beer;

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
I've been riding my 06 Apex for the past couple years with the following...

Boss Seat
Timbersled front/rear suspension
Floats all around
Simmons Gen II skis
Hartman Clutching
Hartman Exhaust

I'd say the seat, rear suspension, skis and the clutching made some of the biggest differences in the sled. The floats and the exhaust are both great as well but stuff I'd do last on the list.

Now it's time for boost...:face-icon-small-coo

Headrush

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007

Boss Seat
Floats all around
Simmons Gen II skis
Hartman Clutching
Hartman Exhaust

I'd say the seat, rear suspension, skis and the clutching made some of the biggest differences in the sled. The floats and the exhaust are both great as well but stuff I'd do last on the list.

Thanks! I've been considering the Timbersled set-up and seat. How much did you loose on the Timbersled rear set-up?

snowpromod

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Northeast Ohio
I sold my Boss seat and purchased a Mountain Mod seat - not 100% sure one the weight difference, but the quality of the Mountain Mod is 10x better!!

Headrush

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
^^^ I've heard that from a few people now. They are a little more $, but seem much higher quality.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Heyburn Idaho
I sold my Boss seat and purchased a Mountain Mod seat - not 100% sure one the weight difference, but the quality of the Mountain Mod is 10x better!!

Agreed and i have read on here snaps are gay :D
I did clutching mountain mod seat white knuckle exhaust and simmons gen 2 ski's. I'm pretty happy with it and with the timbersled front and rear you can shave off another 42 pounds :cool:

Headrush

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
Best diet is for the rider.Really hard to do though.

And not as much fun as spending $ on mods. :beer;

What is everyone running for aftermarket exhaust? I want something with a nice tone, but not too loud.

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Lose the rear tail light and plastic, put on an LED. The '09 BOSS seat is of much better quality and quite light. Under tunnel exhaust. Aftermarket lightweight suspension (back and front including shocks), lose the headlight and plastic, including hood and replace with aftermarket lightweight, mount aftermarket headlight replace. Relocate a lighter battery. Skis and track are your own preference. Add a riser,couple inches. Take all the foam off inside the side panels.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
So if I weigh 140, does this mean the sled don't have to loose weight?!!!! j/k I have been thinking about an Apex but am unsure if I can control the sled. I have a SX/MM 159 right now, so the length wouldn't be an issue.

I cut around 90 lbs, I weigh 275, my friend weighs 135 and rides my sled like a pro,he loves it. have no fear if u are a good rider.

Headrush

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
Anyone have any thoughts on the Timbersled vs. K-Mod rear set up?

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
I have done a "real world" lite weight apex. I ride in the mountains and also ditch bang here in saskatchewan. I'm a smaller guy at 5'8 and 150 lbs so the stock apex was a handful, So on a budget i was able to to take 100 lbs off and make my apex very rideable and i'd take it over any new 2 stroke. I made my apex light cause boost was also not an option.

timbersled front and rear and fox floats for the front, Mtn mod seat, Simmons gen 2 ski, MMP 9 inch wheels, timbersled drop brackets, cr racing 9 inch risers, and hopefully soon to come a camo extreme track.

the drop in weight has made a huge differnece and way more rideable espicially with the taller risers. with the weight dropped and the big wheels i had to reclutch and am now using the heaviest weights from yamaha to keep it from over revving.

RX1MountainMan

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Harlowton, MT

Boss Seat
Floats all around
Simmons Gen II skis
Hartman Clutching
Hartman Exhaust

What did you do for clutching? Did you do any gearing change?

Premium Features