• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone replace 509 helmet magnetic retaining clip?

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
I dig my 509 helmet, but I hate that magnetic clip. I always find myself fumbling around with it while my buddies take off. Anyone swapped it out for something else? It's driving me nuts. I actually wasn't gonna buy a second 509 helmet just because of that clip but I got one Carbon one on great deal. I was cursing in the BC last week with it. Most of the time I have to take my gloves off to get it on.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
I dig my 509 helmet, but I hate that magnetic clip. I always find myself fumbling around with it while my buddies take off. Anyone swapped it out for something else? It's driving me nuts. I actually wasn't gonna buy a second 509 helmet just because of that clip but I got one Carbon one on great deal. I was cursing in the BC last week with it. Most of the time I have to take my gloves off to get it on.

How long have you been riding with the magnetic "fidlock"? I had the same feelings about mine at first, felt like such a goon every time I put my helmet on. It's been a couple years now, I don't think twice about it anymore. It's become pretty natural, and I like it now.

The one trick I found is to make sure the left side fidlock buckle (opposite the red tag end side) is down. Took me a bit to realize it was often flipped up, tucked behind the cheek pad, and I'd be ridiculously swinging that red tag magnet all over trying to get it to latch. Now I always grab that left buckle with the strap when pulling the helmet on, ensuring it's always down and ready. Sounds tedious, but it's actually not, I do it too without thinking now.

Anyhow, food for thought. Maybe replacing it with a conventional buckle is possible, I haven't looked into it.

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
How long have you been riding with the magnetic "fidlock"? I had the same feelings about mine at first, felt like such a goon every time I put my helmet on. It's been a couple years now, I don't think twice about it anymore. It's become pretty natural, and I like it now.

The one trick I found is to make sure the left side fidlock buckle (opposite the red tag end side) is down. Took me a bit to realize it was often flipped up, tucked behind the cheek pad, and I'd be ridiculously swinging that red tag magnet all over trying to get it to latch. Now I always grab that left buckle with the strap when pulling the helmet on, ensuring it's always down and ready. Sounds tedious, but it's actually not, I do it too without thinking now.

Anyhow, food for thought. Maybe replacing it with a conventional buckle is possible, I haven't looked into it.
This is my second 509 but it's entirely possible I've just been doing it wrong this entire time. I'll try out what you suggested. Thanks for the suggestion.

Premium Features