• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone familiar with UTV laws in Idaho. Side by Sides

H
Feb 28, 2012
Wondering if you can get a license plate for UTV's in Idaho. Does the plate allow you to drive on the roads or only off highway ie recreational places.

TIA

J
Dec 15, 2008
Orofino, Id
Where you are located has contributing factors. Typical rules we abide by are #highways are offlimits....but then again have rode down some that are in BFE without incident. Less populated areas are less restrictive in my area of Northern ID. A call to the Police or Sheriff will give you their impressions for you area.

http://itd.idaho.gov/dmv/vehicleservices/restrictedvehiclefaqs.htm

Where CAN'T I operate my restricted vehicle?
Answer - Restricted vehicles cannot operate on any state highway, on any interstate highway, or on any controlled access roadway. Crossing a state highway is only permitted at locations authorized and approved by the Idaho Transportation Department’s board. Approved state highway crossing locations require installed signs designating the approved location. Vehicles using an approved crossing location must cross the road at 90 degrees to the roadway. Traveling down any state highway is prohibited.
Go to Top

Where CAN I operate my restricted vehicle?
Answer - As of January 1, 2009, restricted vehicles can operate on county roads, paved or otherwise, unless a political subdivision (county, city, highway district, etc, or a state or federal land manager), takes action to prohibit the operation of these vehicles on specific roads or sections of roads within their jurisdiction. Signs are to be posted on any section of county road way where operation is prohibited.

Designated OHV riding areas, areas open to cross country motorized travel and designated motorized trail systems will also require both the 'restricted vehicle' plate and the IDPR OHV registration sticker.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Yep. 4 wheeler, side by sides, dirt bikes are all running around up here in the summer, just have to have license and turn signals, horn, etc. Just cannot be on the highway. My old neighbor called to ask about CROSSING 55, they pretty much said it is illegal. Then "Look both ways first."

H
Feb 28, 2012
I am out of state in Colorado but have friends in Rigby

They don't know but said I should be able to get a license plate and I could register it there. In Colorado we don't have license plates. But, in moab having a plate would make it so much better, to ride from the hotel to the trail and back or wherever. If not, gotta trailer it everywhere which sucks and is a hassle.

I know on the main highways these can't be driven on but a license plate would allow one to drive in town or from trail to trail.

J
Dec 15, 2008
Orofino, Id
In Idaho it is REQUIRED to have the license plate now and is part of the registration process. Unless you are only on private land you will have a license plate. Where in Idaho are you riding and do you live in the state? Out of state may be different. Are you looking at riding a certain area and just want to make sure you don't have to trailer?

You mention Colorado and Moab (Utah) which will have their own standards. The only other state I've had my UTV in is Oregon (Sand Dunes) and they honor my Idaho plate, but I paid the $12.50 for a two year Oregon tag to support their system as well.

Edit: I See you posted you are Colorado and have friends in Rigby
From Idaho DMV (A lot of questions can be answered there, hopefully this helps)

1.How does this new law affect nonresidents?

Answer - Nothing was changed to the nonresident registration requirements. Nonresidents are not required to register in Idaho unless they have operated within the state for more than 30 days. IDPR OHV registration stickers will be available for purchase at all Idaho recreation registration vendors, County Assessor Motor Vehicle Offices and at any IDPR Service Centers. Individuals must show proof of non-residency at time of purchase (such as an out-of-state driver’s license).

I also need to get in the DMV and renew my UTV registration because if we aren't going to have snow might as well get it back out! If you have specific questions I can ask there I'd be glad to see if the ladies there know the answer, but not sure how much out of state they deal with.

Last edited:

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
You don't have to have the turn signals in Idaho to be legal. You do have to have a rear view mirror and a horn.

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Premium Features