• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anybody manage to lube the primary clutch belt bearing?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
hey guys, I'm thinking my primary clutch belt bearing, is starting to reach the end of its life. I'm thinking to spray some lubricant down at it, take the belt off and see if I can get some lubricant to soak into it....? Thoughts?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Curious how many hours or miles you have.?
Id have to look but I should be about 3400km
Any lube that you spray down at the bearing will be flung out on the belt when the clutch rotates.
Yeah you'd want to clean off the excess and Run it a few times at idle and check it, thinking even a thin penetrant like some seafoam deep creep may work well to get deeper into the bearing and will remain somewhat

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
The stuff you want is Wurth HHS2000 it sprays in a liquid then thickens like a grease. Every Wurth product I have ever used has been great. I am interested if your idea extends the life of the bearing,

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
The stuff you want is Wurth HHS2000 it sprays in a liquid then thickens like a grease. Every Wurth product I have ever used has been great. I am interested if your idea extends the life of the bearing,
Yeah we use that at work, I do like the stuff, and I haven't seen the bearing so I have no idea what kind it is if it's just a bushing or if it's got needle bearings, but I'm sure anything would work, so fsr my clutch is ok otherwise and no cracks so I'd hate to have issues with the bearing there and have to replace it

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
I dont know how you would judge the life of that bearing. I not unless it extremely crunchy. But even then, the belt could slip on it as if it were the clutch center spindle. My 153 Cross country race sled for Cains Quest has over 4000 hard miles on it and it still seems flawless

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I dont know how you would judge the life of that bearing. I not unless it extremely crunchy. But even then, the belt could slip on it as if it were the clutch center spindle. My 153 Cross country race sled for Cains Quest has over 4000 hard miles on it and it still seems flawless
I used to be able to spin my track over forwards but now it turns my engine over lol, If I remember right, last time I had the belt off the bearing didn't feel so smooth anymore, and believe this past weekends ride I heard a belt squeel at idle for a moment when I stopped before moving again.

edit: funny I was checking it tonight and now she spins real good again... ?‍♂️

Last edited:

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
I used to be able to spin my track over forwards but now it turns my engine over lol, If I remember right, last time I had the belt off the bearing didn't feel so smooth anymore, and believe this past weekends ride I heard a belt squeel at idle for a moment when I stopped before moving again.

Sounds more like a clutch bind issue to me.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
its not meant to be lubed, any lube would attract dirt and crap

M
Mar 18, 2011
Manitoba
I don't have one but have repaired older can am atv with same bearing. Good chance belt dust build up is causing issues. Any cleaning maintenance for the bearing? Otherwise I'd try aerosol graphite dry lube. Run sled with belt off after line dries 20-30 min. Clean all surfaces with isopropyl

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
The are needle bearing's Same that polaris uses in their SXS's only way to maintain them is to keep the dust out often- Compressed air.
I have changed them on the SXS's often and with the fun green loctite on the Cat spider- it can be done but what a bear I just look at the parts breakdown and don't even see one listed in the drive clutch view.
1613233496916.png

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
and that bearing only comes into play when pri clutch is open at idle, so only under load at idle or during a start, the rest of the time it is along for the ride doing nothing

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta

I was reading on another forum of the same problem. The guy pulled his clutch for inspection and found the taper was cracked. Saved himself a pile of carnage.

Premium Features