• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alternative Impact A Arm close up pics & installation thoughts.

C
Dec 24, 2014
So there is no need to remove ball joints etc from the stock arms to make the kit work? I can sell my stock arms complete and buy the kit and it will have everything I need?

People seem to be asking stupid money for stock take offs, as much as this kit! I will GLADLY make the switch for the cost of a little time and labor.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
So there is no need to remove ball joints etc from the stock arms to make the kit work? I can sell my stock arms complete and buy the kit and it will have everything I need?

People seem to be asking stupid money for stock take offs, as much as this kit! I will GLADLY make the switch for the cost of a little time and labor.

Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K

kmo

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
That is by far the best option. The instructions are a pretty good baseline but the rod is again the optimal way. Just not everyone has the proper part to make it happen. The one end need to be a fairly good tolerance fit. I like that you brought that up!
Dan

I went by the instructions and the spindles lean in at the top just a bit looking at the sled from the front, which is how my buddy's is with the stock arms. I neglected to take a photo or measurements prior to pulling the A-Arms of both sleds......

I took advantage of Dan's great tip and with a cutting wheel I ground a groove on the back sides of the ball joint studs for easier removal with a flat blade screwdriver in the event of a shear off due to an impact.

shortstuff

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Rigby, ID
That is by far the best option. The instructions are a pretty good baseline but the rod is again the optimal way. Just not everyone has the proper part to make it happen. The one end need to be a fairly good tolerance fit. I like that you brought that up!
Dan
So do you want neutral camber with the sled in the air, or sitting on the ground?

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
Found this on another post. Figured it might help someone else doing the install

30 ft/lbs for the nuts at the bulkhead
18 ft/lbs for the sway bar
40 ft/lbs for the ball joint
Thanks for that! Had a guy today email me about torques. Unless I'm in the engine I just don't normally get the torque wrench out. Maybe that's bad but I have to be honest, I just go by feel...

Dan

K

kmo

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
So I decided to get a bar and properly check the camber after I installed my 39" Alt Impact arms. I ended up adjusting both sides of both sleds. My wife's ended up 3 threads on the right, 5 on the left. My sled was 1 thread right, 2 threads left. This was with all uppers in all the way. My measurement was 2" from top of alignment bar to top of hole, inside side of spindle per the local dealer. They both look better than they did. Dealer said it was common to see differences due to casting tolerances, etc on different sleds.

Last edited:

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
So I decided to get a bar and properly check the camber after I installed my 39" Alt Impact arms. I ended up adjusting both sides of both sleds. My wife's ended up 3 threads on the right, 5 on the left. My sled was 1 thread right, 2 threads left. This was with all uppers in all the way. My measurement was 2" from top of alignment bar to top of hole, inside side of spindle per the local dealer. They both look better than they did. Dealer said it was common to see differences due to casting tolerances, etc on different sleds.
casting tolerance is without a doubt real world. I've seen more of that with ski doo than any other sled. Instructions only go so far but we try to hit the happy medium. Again the bar through the spindles is the proper way.
Dan

Proride_58640

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2013
Super easy install. Awesome kit hands best on the market in my opinion.
40bdd01bfc4fd4d3a2a62ba03a5ce2c9.jpg

F
Oct 20, 2015
North Pole Alaska
So I have a hard time putting into text how I feel but to sum it up quickly. The 36" kit is probably the best mod I have done on my sled. I went from rather disliking how the AXYS handled to downright LOVING it! I cannot recommend this kit highly enough. IT made riding my sled an absolute blast! So easy to turn. I'd do it again in a heartbeat

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
So I have a hard time putting into text how I feel but to sum it up quickly. The 36" kit is probably the best mod I have done on my sled. I went from rather disliking how the AXYS handled to downright LOVING it! I cannot recommend this kit highly enough. IT made riding my sled an absolute blast! So easy to turn. I'd do it again in a heartbeat

What did you dislike about the axys in stock form? What sled were you coming off of? I'm on the fence about this and just looking for more input

K

kmo

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
casting tolerance is without a doubt real world. I've seen more of that with ski doo than any other sled. Instructions only go so far but we try to hit the happy medium. Again the bar through the spindles is the proper way.
Dan

Dan, can you supply longer studs for the top of the spindle? Mine aren't long enough to go through the spindle and the bottom nut far enough to go through the nylock part of the nut. They stayed on OK for the first ride but I would feel better if a thread or two at least protruded past the end of the nut.

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
Dan, can you supply longer studs for the top of the spindle? Mine aren't long enough to go through the spindle and the bottom nut far enough to go through the nylock part of the nut. They stayed on OK for the first ride but I would feel better if a thread or two at least protruded past the end of the nut.
Havent seen this at least to the point of things coming apart, but I would throw some Loctite on them. You should always use it on all titanium threads anyway even with a nylon nut. I really like those nuts for the fact they have deeper nylon than most. we preassemble everything before it goes out and ive noticed the end of the stud hits the nylon fairly deep. If the end of the stud is at the end of the outside of the nut you should have 2 threads minimum locking things together, its all you can get. Anyone else seeing the stud on the short side? Thanks for bringing this up, if it needs addressed I sure will :)
Dan

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
as near as I can tell there is 100% contact with the nylon when these are bolted up and properly tightened, meaning the nylon is entirely used up with the stud thread. For all who have this kit that haven't used loctite on that Ti stud for piece of mind it's worth going back and doing so.
Dan

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
The OP's stud is NOT long enough, no nyloc penetration, he didn't catch it and the stud came out of spindle when riding two days ago, the ski flipped upside down, took out steering arm and bent shock. We rigged it on the trail to get him home. I am sure he will post, he had a long drive home last night.
Look at his very first picture, the stud is too short or the nut is too thick.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
c1a2720d204ab34f7f4b3ef5e94cf4e2.jpg

I'm seeing threads above the nyloc?

I used a lock washer and stainless acorn nut on my upper ball joints.
I couldn't leave the fugly threads and such in ankle bash zone.
Halfway through the first ride I checked and one was loose.
Tightened them german tight and no issues since.

946d0c7a11650c8824fecab83153e6f2.jpg

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Heres some pics of my install. I got the 36" kit. Not super impressed with the tie rods as they're pretty hard to tighten down with no where for a wrench to go. Ended up using channel locks and a rag but it still tore them up a bit. also kind of a pain changing them out. Other than that so far I like them. Its definitely easier to tip over in the garage. havent gotten a chance to ride it yet.

Tighten both jam nuts at the same time and you don't need to ruin your tie rods.
Its pretty easy to cut the zip tie holding the plastic ring in the rubber boot, slide it out and the jam nut is accessible.

Premium Features