• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alternative Impact A Arm close up pics & installation thoughts.

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
I just installed a set of the 39" Alt Impact A Arms. Not really rocket science to the install but as they say photos are worth a thousand words.

Some thoughts to help anyone else with the install.

- For what ever reason sliding the bushings into the plastic in the upper arms was a huge PIA because of how tight they are. The bottom arm bushings slid right into the plastic... Anyway, on the 4th one after pounding them with a small sledge I decided to use some WD-40... That really helped them slide in.

- Make sure you don't get the 4 bushing inserts switched up. There are different heights to them, 2 taller ones and 2 shorter ones. You need to use the taller ones for attaching the lower arms to the spindle so there's not any slop when you slide it into the spindle, and use the shorter ones for the upper arms.

- Pay attention to how many treads are showing on the Rod ends. No threads showing on the upper rod ends, and about 5 showing on the lower rod ends.

- When you attach the bottom end of the shock you'll need to use the provided nut. With the stock set up there is not a nut, the bolt just self threads into the stock A arm.

Anyway, hope this helps save you some time.

Sorry some of the photos are sideways

IMG_8021.jpg IMG_8022.jpg IMG_8023.jpg IMG_8024.jpg IMG_8025.jpg IMG_8027.jpg IMG_8028.jpg

Last edited:
D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
I thought about drilling... The wd 40 made al the difference. Just a few light taps with a soft blow and they slid right in the plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
Dude good write up and pics! Yes some of those with tight bushings slipped by us and SMF is correct a 23/32" bit will resize them back to the proper diameter. We caught that early on and have slightly over sized them. It's hard to control the shrinkage (as guys we all know that) on every weld. Anyway they should all be taken care of. So on the misalignment bushings they are only different heights on the 39" (stock) kits. The 36" they are the same. Every one is pre assembled to avoid confusion but i can see how if you took everything apart it would be easy to mix them up. The 39" kit uses a different rod end that is not as tall which in turn requires the taller bushings. Another tip on these kits is that the stud that attaches the upper arm to the spindle is titanium so it's a good idea to use some LOW strength loctite on the threads to keep them from galling. I haven't had anyone have an issue with this but doesn't hurt to be aware. Again great info guys!
Dan

K
Nov 15, 2015
Breckenridge, CO
Today I smoked a hidden rock and it threw me off the sled and bent the lower left alt impact arm and the ball joint didn't break away. The arm folded in the same spot as the stock ones did. I Talked to Dan and ordered a new one. I still love the alternative impact design, I just hope the break away ball joints save me sometime in the future.

F
Oct 20, 2015
North Pole Alaska
Today I smoked a hidden rock and it threw me off the sled and bent the lower left alt impact arm and the ball joint didn't break away. The arm folded in the same spot as the stock ones did. I Talked to Dan and ordered a new one. I still love the alternative impact design, I just hope the break away ball joints save me sometime in the future.

Well thats not very reassuring... thats the entire purpose of me buying these ones...

F
Oct 20, 2015
North Pole Alaska
Heres some pics of my install. I got the 36" kit. Not super impressed with the tie rods as they're pretty hard to tighten down with no where for a wrench to go. Ended up using channel locks and a rag but it still tore them up a bit. also kind of a pain changing them out. Other than that so far I like them. Its definitely easier to tip over in the garage. havent gotten a chance to ride it yet.

Last edited:

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com
I hit a rock last year with my 36" alt impact and it did what it was supposed to and broke the ball joint off. Got it back to the trailer spun a new one in and back to the snow. I'm sure it won't work every single time. But sure worked great when it happened to me. Looking forward to testing the 36" on my new axys this weekend!

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

And thats why I ordered mine with thicker tubing.
I've been there.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I'm running the 36" a-arms on my Pro and they have been great and the customer service is second to none!!!

I smoked a rock as I was side hilling last year. Ended up hitting the spindle pretty hard, and the energy was transferred through the lower a-arm. The lower arm basically kinked but I was still able to ride the rest of the day, without issue. Got home, ordered up a new lower arm and a new spindle and good as new!!!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I thought about drilling... The wd 40 made al the difference. Just a few light taps with a soft blow and they slid right in the plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you lubed it up, gave it a soft blow, and it slid right in?
Nice!
Bring your spare ends this weekend, although I bet I have some in my truck stuff also. Stumps and rocks are making the wall of shame grow pretty quick! :)

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
I love Alt Impact arms. I've had the 36" kit on my pro for two year and installed the 39" kit on the new Axys. Dan is always easy to get ahold of, friendly and helpful. Hands-down the best design in the market.

My 39" kit had way to much negative camber with the "5 thread lower, no thread upper" suggestion. To get to neutral camber my install was more like 4 threads lower and 3 threads upper. Either way, arms look great.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
I love Alt Impact arms. I've had the 36" kit on my pro for two year and installed the 39" kit on the new Axys. Dan is always easy to get ahold of, friendly and helpful. Hands-down the best design in the market.

My 39" kit had way to much negative camber with the "5 thread lower, no thread upper" suggestion. To get to neutral camber my install was more like 4 threads lower and 3 threads upper. Either way, arms look great.
I have always had good luck pulling the skis and running a rod from spindle to spindle through the ski bolt holes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
I have always had good luck pulling the skis and running a rod from spindle to spindle through the ski bolt holes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
That is by far the best option. The instructions are a pretty good baseline but the rod is again the optimal way. Just not everyone has the proper part to make it happen. The one end need to be a fairly good tolerance fit. I like that you brought that up!
Dan

Premium Features