• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

aligning a motor

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
whats the best way to perfectly align a motor?

There's 3 different offset tools for your sled depending on which secondary you have:
1) standard button secondary, measure to the backside of the secondary
2) Team TSS-98 roller, measures to the front side of the secondary
3) Team TSS-04 LIGHTWEIGHT ROLLER, narrower than #2 above, also measures to the front side of the secondary

In addition to the offset alignment tool you may want a center to center tool, it's a little easier to check than measuring 11.5" but that's your call.

If your engine is slightly "crooked" meaning your offset tool touches the front of your secondary and the gap @ the rear of your secondary is more than the .040" +/- that they recommend, (and that .040" may be ZERO depending on whatever torque limiters/engine limiters you may have on your sled) here's what I did on my EDGE's:

I purchased an assortment of Chevrolet style starter shims @ the Auto Parts store, thickness ranges from 1/64" to 1/8". Install these behind the rear engine bracket to get it perfect.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
cool, anyone have an extra aligment tool for a tss98?

The offset tool is only $27.95 @ SLP

You can quickly fabricate a center to center tool out of a scrap piece of 1/8" alum or steel, or check w/ www.hiperf.com, probably less than $20

Last edited:
Premium Features