• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

adjustable limiter strap

B
Nov 2, 2009
Looking at the adjustable strap - vs the front strap - I adjusted the front strap 1 hole longer and I get an inkling I’m supposed to adjust the adjustable one too - I haven’t unbolted it yet, but I do not see any other holes in it.

q: lengthened the stopper strap 1 bolt hopefully to change to the 2 and 4 position - am I required to do anything to the adjustable strap, as stated haven’t seen any other holes. Am I missing something?

B

bailer

Nov 26, 2007
Saskatoon
Looking at the adjustable strap - vs the front strap - I adjusted the front strap 1 hole longer and I get an inkling I’m supposed to adjust the adjustable one too - I haven’t unbolted it yet, but I do not see any other holes in it.

q: lengthened the stopper strap 1 bolt hopefully to change to the 2 and 4 position - am I required to do anything to the adjustable strap, as stated haven’t seen any other holes. Am I missing something?

I just did this as well. It took me a few times reading the manual, but yeah, you are supposed to also lengthen the adjustable strap as well, to get the 2/4 set up (rather than the factory 3/5)
The extra hole on the adjustable strap is hiding underneath the flatwasher.

FA99C512-6548-48A9-9491-9BD84A70A362.jpeg

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah

q: lengthened the stopper strap 1 bolt hopefully to change to
I just did this as well. It took me a few times reading the manual, but yeah, you are supposed to also lengthen the adjustable strap as well, to get the 2/4 set up (rather than the factory 3/5)
The extra hole on the adjustable strap is hiding underneath the flatwasher.

I was bored and with a new sled sitting in the shop and no snow, I decided to play around with the adjustable limiter strap to make sure I understood how it worked. Unless I’m missing something, I found that the adjustment range is actually either 1/3 or 2/4, not 2/4 or 3/5 as the owners manual says. This is a long explanation, but bare with me.

My sled is a 2021 850T Expert 175. It has two limiter straps, the standard one the every Ski Doo has with 5 adjustment holes (#1 being the loosest and #5 being the tightest), and a second adjustable strap with 2 adjustment holes (#1 being the loosest). From the factory my sled came with both the standard and adjustable strap in hole 2, so the standard strap should have no effect (loose all the time), and the adjustable was supposidly in the equivalent of 3 in the long position and 5 in the short position. I raised the front of my sled using a floor jack until the slack was removed from the limiters. With the adjustable in the long position I expected to find was that the adjustable would be tight (supposedly in hole 3) and the standard would be loose (hole 2), but both limiters were tight. I thought maybe there was some weird geometry going on that I didn’t understand, so I put the standard strap in hole 3 and repeated the process. This time the standard was tight and the adjustable was loose. I then put the standard in hole 4 and the adjustable in the short position, and both straps were tight again. I repeated this process using all possible hole combinations in both the adjustable and standard strap and concluded that the adjustment range is 1/3 and 2/4, not 2/4 and 3/5 as the owners manual says.

Using the adjustable limiter strap, you have 4 possible setting using the following adjustable and standard holes and the long and short settings:
1/3 (adjustable 1, standard 1)
2/3 (adjustable 1, standard 2)
2/4 (adjustable 2, standard 2)
3/4 (adjustable 2, standard 3)

If you have the adjustable in hole 1 and the standard in hole 3 or higher, the no adjustment is possible. It will just be in hole 3 all the time. The same is true if you have the have the adjustable in hole 2 and the standard in hole 4 or 5.

You could change the adjustable to work in the 3/5 range, but you would need to punch 4 additional holes in the adjustable limiter.

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
Just an FYI on adjusting the limiter between the short and long position, the front of the skid needs to be compressed to allow the mechanism to engage/disengage. This happens naturally when out riding, but you need to do It manually if you are in the shop.

B
Nov 2, 2009
Thanks- that makes sense- appreciate the answer.

I’ll move the adjustable one tonight - and thanks for tip on the compressing.

Just an FYI on adjusting the limiter between the short and long position, the front of the skid needs to be compressed to allow the mechanism to engage/disengage. This happens naturally when out riding, but you need to do It manually if you are in the shop.

Premium Features