• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ad Boivin Explorer

X32

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2014
Anyone have experience with Ad Boivin Explorer or know anything about them? I would love to hear your thoughts, I have the opportunity to pick one up that is lightly used asking $1500 I live on the East Coast but normally ride in Idaho or Colorado dirt bikes for about 6 weeks every summer and rent snowmobile for couple weeks in the winter. I can't find snow bike rentals so I'm considering this option thoughts would be greatly appreciated, below is the manufacturers website thanks for your help! Hope to join you soon, looks like a blast. http://www.explorermoto.com/en/afficher.aspx?page=39&langue=en

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
It'll be fine for groomed trails but not much else. Double that $1500 and get one of the earlier Timbersled's. Once you get hooked on the snowbike you'll be trying to sell the Explorer

X32

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2014
I talked to those guys they will only rent for 4 hours which of course is better than nothing but it's kind of like an appetizer, I still want my meal, and dessert.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
It'll be fine for groomed trails but not much else. Double that $1500 and get one of the earlier Timbersled's. Once you get hooked on the snowbike you'll be trying to sell the Explorer
I have had it.. 3 rides and once in powder... it was so frustrating in the powder that I blew up my clutch and vowed never to have a snowbike... it has a pivoting front ski which is a terrible design. I would not even waste your time with adbovin. .. mine was hard to sell...
Anyone have experience with Ad Boivin Explorer or know anything about them? I would love to hear your thoughts, I have the opportunity to pick one up that is lightly used asking $1500 I live on the East Coast but normally ride in Idaho or Colorado dirt bikes for about 6 weeks every summer and rent snowmobile for couple weeks in the winter. I can't find snow bike rentals so I'm considering this option thoughts would be greatly appreciated, below is the manufacturers website thanks for your help! Hope to join you soon, looks like a blast. http://www.explorermoto.com/en/afficher.aspx?page=39&langue=en

P

Pedec

Jul 1, 2014
I disagree the explorer has a place just not in the moutain or in deep powder. Where I live we are lucky to get a foot of powder. It handles like a bike way more than a timbersled. I have only owned it about year and so far so good. I rode with guy with timber sled st and in low snow condtions it was a bitch to turn and felt like a long track sled which is great in deep snow but not for what we ride 80% of the time it was overkill. Don t not get me wrong the timbersled is way better built and very nice.As you can see in picture not a lot of snow but still fun like riding 125 2 stroke dirtbike at the track not the fastest bike at the track but still a lot fun in right condtions just need to work a little harder to make it work.

A little offtopic, but would you do much damage to a timbersled kit with that amount of snow?

Sometimes we get dumped on here on the east coast and the roads have at least that much :) Might be fun to haul the bike outta the garage and rip the roads for an hour late @ night when the sleds are out having fun as well!

My 2015 ST kit shows up later this week or early next week and i'm more than a little excited to get going :)

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I disagree the explorer has a place just not in the moutain or in deep powder. Where I live we are lucky to get a foot of powder. It handles like a bike way more than a timbersled. I have only owned it about year and so far so good. I rode with guy with timber sled st and in low snow condtions it was a bitch to turn and felt like a long track sled which is great in deep snow but not for what we ride 80% of the time it was overkill. Don t not get me wrong the timbersled is way better built and very nice.As you can see in picture not a lot of snow but still fun like riding 125 2 stroke dirtbike at the track not the fastest bike at the track but still a lot fun in right condtions just need to work a little harder to make it work.
Now in that much snow it could be the case but I would be going the 2 moto kit then... the fit and finish of the adbovin for me was disapointing... and the amount of power compared to the other kits that is robbed is an issue... I have had the kit actually freeze lock and it took an act of God to get it moving..

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
we rode the crap out of the ex plore kits in the deep of cooke city, logan utah and colorado.
they are a ton of fun on fresh groomed trail. ride it like a flat track bike.
as far as im concered buy it and have a blast.

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
If you're buying it for a different bike than what it was installed on, you'll need new front and rear adaptors, as the kits are bike specific. ($550)

Yeah, just get it & ride!

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
$1500 is way to much. ive seen them starting for $500 bucks here

Agreed I would offer way less I can tell you not many people are in the market for them... It took me 6 months to sell mine and I ended up shipping it to Florida for someone to use it on the sand... Go figure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

M

mikesnick

Dec 9, 2007
priest lake idaho
explorer kit

Had one, had a 2moto and on 5th mountain horse. The Explorer was a nightmare everywhere. The way the front of the kit is mounted to the bike if you hit something it can actually eject you from the bike. We called it the "Snake" because it was so squirrel. Sorry but I wouldn't take a free one.
ms

P

Pedec

Jul 1, 2014
Hey Mike just wondering have you rode many dirt bikes in the sand or on a track before or is your background more on sleds in deep snow. Not trying to question your oppion it just I find the explorer handles like a bike when I rode a timbersled it felt like a sled. To a point on hardpack it would right itslelf up on it own. Where a explorer can do donuts on hardpack snow in tigh circles like a bike where timbersled just want to go straight ahead like a sled. Like I said I am not trying to say your opion is wrong and agree a two moto would be better.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Hey Mike just wondering have you rode many dirt bikes in the sand or on a track before or is your background more on sleds in deep snow. Not trying to question your oppion it just I find the explorer handles like a bike when I rode a timbersled it felt like a sled. To a point on hardpack it would right itslelf up on it own. Where a explorer can do donuts on hardpack snow in tigh circles like a bike where timbersled just want to go straight ahead like a sled. Like I said I am not trying to say your opion is wrong and agree a two moto would be better.

I would agree for the snow application the front pivoting ski is sketchy... I ride everything under the sun on my dirt bike.. For me I only road it for about 6 times before I sold it... If I was going the cheaper route I would go 2moto for hardback lower snow levels...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

P

Pedec

Jul 1, 2014
I guess all I am saying is kit is not the best but I have 3 buddy that we all bought explorer cheap and we have a Ball ditch banging this kit and chaep to get into. All my buddy ride mx or off road bikes and we have rode the crap out of these and yes we get stuck lots but it the rider that make the differance which makes it fun. When Mike said it handles squirly I toltoaly agree but that is what a bike handles like in sand or mud (compare bike to quad) and make it fun if you have the skills to make it work. I would never take it to the mountains it would suck. Put this kit on a chaep 250 2 stroke and find a foot of snow or banks talk about cheap fun. It not always about buying your way to being or seeming like a better rider just because you can afford to.

Last edited:
Premium Features