• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A little comparison.. Boosted Viper vs Boosted PRO

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
I got to spend about 30 minutes on a 2015 PRO with a TSS turbo, 230 hp kit b-bopping through the trees on Wednesday and I have to say... my 2015 Viper (MPI 190 hp kit) is much more manageable in the trees. The PRO was on/off feeling, there is a noticeable lag. When the power hits, it is holy hell hold on!!! Viper, no lag and a very smooth linear feeling. Now, obviously there is a weight difference and a HP difference (how would the Viper with the 250 kit feel?)... and had I spent more time on the sled I would have gotten use to it, maybe? But in that short time I felt more worn out than I did in the first 30 minutes of being on the Viper! Is it clutching? Set up? I really don't know, it felt like many other 2stroke turbos that I've been on. Very different than 4stroke turbo delivery.

I know some will say "oh but you are sponsored by Yamaha you have to say these things". The first part of that statement is true, the later, no.. I still get to have my own thoughts, feelings and opinions.... I was very happy to get back on my heavy girl and wiggle her through the trees with control! LOL

Take this for what it is worth... a 2 stroke can wear you out too... ;) :devil:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I got to spend about 30 minutes on a 2015 PRO with a TSS turbo, 230 hp kit b-bopping through the trees on Wednesday and I have to say... my 2015 Viper (MPI 190 hp kit) is much more manageable in the trees. The PRO was on/off feeling, there is a noticeable lag. When the power hits, it is holy hell hold on!!! Viper, no lag and a very smooth linear feeling.

While I am a HARD CORE Yamaha guy and make no bones about it, I am a little surprised to read your comment on the turbo lag. I would not have expected that to be the comment you offered. Isn't the exhaust path on the Pro SHORTER in total length than on our Vipers??

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
That says way more about that 2s turbo kit and why not to buy it, than the PRO itself. If the turbo is not already at boost at clutch engagement, you are going to get the lag and on off-on switch feeling. Some may like that but I for one will not tolerate it. I also will never settle for a third / last place sled (Cat / Yamaha).

Last edited:

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
I have a boosted 13 pro and a non boosted 15 pro, both 163's. I am much more confident and capable on the non boosted in tight technical terrain where I enjoy spending most of my time. As an older guy I much prefer the more predictable bottom end power delivery, with boost
I often get OOC (out of control) when quickly grabbing a handful of throttle/boost.
If I were younger and quicker I might feel different. If I had to choose one for everyday riding it would be non boosted. Don't get me wrong, boost is addictive and when making big pulls it makes a big difference especially in deep conditions.

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Hhhmmmmm, a "Yamaha Backcountry Team" member prefers their Yamaha to someone elses Polaris........didn't see that coming :face-icon-small-dis

HAHAA, again... take it for what it is worth. I came off a PRO and get asked how I like the new vs the old.

This sled isn't for everyone. That much is glaringly obvious, for many many reasons. From just lack of desire, to lack of funds, to lack of ability to get past that weight thing, to just flat out no desire to ride a turbo, to brand loyal, to.... I could keep going but I think I've covered a good portion of the "nots". ;)

But for those that are just a weeee bit curious (and judging by the daily emails I get there are quite a few out there) I am trying to offer a bit of handlebar-time feedback. Not everyone will get the opportunity to ride a Viper before buying it, even less chance (I'd imagine) of getting to ride a boosted PRO and Viper on the same day in same conditions and terrain.

I was offered an opportunity this winter to share my experiences with the mountain community. So, please take my posts as such. :heart:

While I am a HARD CORE Yamaha guy and make no bones about it, I am a little surprised to read your comment on the turbo lag. I would not have expected that to be the comment you offered. Isn't the exhaust path on the Pro SHORTER in total length than on our Vipers??

I don't have an answer to that...

But this is also why I questioned clutching/ set up.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have a boosted 13 pro and a non boosted 15 pro, both 163's. I am much more confident and capable on the non boosted in tight technical terrain where I enjoy spending most of my time. As an older guy I much prefer the more predictable bottom end power delivery, with boost
I often get OOC (out of control) when quickly grabbing a handful of throttle/boost.

Why I still LOVE the Supercharger over the Turbo.
Absolutely LINEAR SMOOTH POWER.
It NEVER surprises you with a sudden rush of boost.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I'm not familiar enough with riding the different kits.....but I was actually surprised (in a good way) at how LITTLE lag my buddy's BD turbo Pro had when I rode it. I'm not saying this as a comparison to other turbo sleds, but coming from my stock NA sled, I thought the lag would be more noticeable, when it was not noticeable at all. I found it much more linear than I ever expected, but I don't have a basis for comparison to other turbo kits.

Perhaps that kit is different, or the turbo/hot side is bigger, or the Viper just spools quicker.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I'm not familiar enough with riding the different kits.....but I was actually surprised (in a good way) at how LITTLE lag my buddy's BD turbo Pro had when I rode it. I'm not saying this as a comparison to other turbo sleds, but coming from my stock NA sled, I thought the lag would be more noticeable, when it was not noticeable at all. I found it much more linear than I ever expected, but I don't have a basis for comparison to other turbo kits.

Perhaps that kit is different, or the turbo/hot side is bigger, or the Viper just spools quicker.

Would be really interested to know if that was what she was experiencing.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Would be really interested to know if that was what she was experiencing.

That would be pretty hard to ascertain without knowing if all else was equal (the chances of which are slim). Comp. ratio, turbo size, A/R size, kit design, boost level, compressor wheel design, intercooled/non, fuel type, BB vs journal bearing, etc. Lots going on that affects spool.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
That would be pretty hard to ascertain without knowing if all else was equal (the chances of which are slim). Comp. ratio, turbo size, A/R size, kit design, boost level, compressor wheel design, intercooled/non, fuel type, BB vs journal bearing, etc. Lots going on that affects spool.
Ya, I hear ya, would still be interested to know.

Was working on my Turbo Viper this afternoon just "musing" over how interesting it would be to have two of them side by side one with a Ball Bearing turbo in it and one with a Journal bearing. And be able to compare them SIDE BY SIDE to see if there really is any perceptible difference in Turbo Lag between the two of them.

I
Nov 26, 2007
I know some will say "oh but you are sponsored by Yamaha you have to say these things". The first part of that statement is true, the later, no.. I still get to have my own thoughts, feelings and opinions.... I was very happy to get back on my heavy girl and wiggle her through the trees with control! LOL

Take this for what it is worth... a 2 stroke can wear you out too... ;) :devil:

You get paid by yamaha to endorse their product. To pretend you're unbiased is exactly that, pretending.

No one expects norona to say he hates the t3 or burandt to say the new axys isn't is as good as a turbo viper for tree riding. You saying the viper is great in the trees is just a paid commercial from yamaha. I'll reference your own admission that you only ride yamaha because they pay you to, you were on a pro previously.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Why so mean to Coyote Girl?
It's just her opinion and then you bash her for being an advertisement for yamaha.
At least she didn't have it hanging from a tree claiming it was lighter than a pro!!

I
Nov 26, 2007
Why so mean to Coyote Girl?
It's just her opinion and then you bash her for being an advertisement for yamaha.
At least she didn't have it hanging from a tree claiming it was lighter than a pro!!

Haha I wasn't being mean or bashing, just stating the obvious. Do you value the opinion of other athletes who are paid to endorse products? Think Nike is really the best because tiger told you so? It's just his opinion right?

manlye

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2009
Odd I've never seen a sled video with all the riders on Vipers, or M1100t in the trees, why do you think they are on different sleds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Odd I've never seen a sled video with all the riders on Vipers, or M1100t in the trees, why do you think they are on different sleds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true, I almost never see a Yam in steep technical terrain. The guys we ride with in NW MT are ALL on Pros. Anyone who hangs on a Yam in steep, tight technical terrain gets a Wow I am amazed at your skills from me.
IMO getting one out of some of the places I end up in on my Pro would be impossible with my lower back issues. I can't move one around like a Pro so even if I could ride one in the terrain I like I would be F'D the first time I found myself alone buried in some tree well or steep gully. Until Yam lightens their ride a lot I couldn't be interested even if they did handle incredible in technical terrain, had more power, were more dependable, used less fuel and had ever other desirable trait a rider could want. The weight is a deal breaker no matter what for us bad backs that occasionally have to unstuck ourselves.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
I'm sure Chris Brown said the same thing up until the day he got picked up by Polaris. Now look at all of his posts on Facebook about how his pro is the best sled ever. The best snowmobile ever built was the one that cost you the least to own & operate. If Yamaha wanted to sign me up to ride one of their sleds with a dealer installed turbo, I'd be all over it. Ride that sofa all winter then hop on something way lighter with way more power and I'm sure it would feel difficult and strange. In an industry pushing light weight and increasing power, Yamaha is only allowed to play courtesy of arctic cats chassis and their own engine longevity. How many bone stock yamahas do you run into on the mountain? I've hardly ever seen a Yamaha on our trips out west. How many bone stock RMKs do you see? Hundreds. Your opinion is heavily biased and lacks credibility because of your ties to Yamaha. You don't have to keep trying to validate your "opinion" by claiming it's honest because we all would say the same thing if we were sponsored. I may have been born in the dark, but it wasn't last night.

A heavier version of the newest Cat chassis is better in the trees than the pro? Please....

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Does it really surprise you that when you traded a sled with 40 more HP and 100lbs less that it felt like you had less control? I guess I would feel the same way no matter what the number difference is going between a sled I ride for free and someone else's 15 grand sled...

Premium Features