• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

97 Mountain Max 600 track tension

C
Nov 21, 2019
Hoping for some help. Working on this sled for a really good friend. It's an ex Forest Service ride. Put it on the trackstand and noticed a bunch of slack. Can anyone point me to the specs/procedures for adjusting track tension? I work on mainly Polaris, and I know how they do it. Lost on a MM. Thanks in advance, Andy

srw

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Loosen nut on rear wheels, tighten track equally on each side. Proper gap is 1 1/4” at mid rail with 15lbs of force. Start sled and run track around , ensure track is centered. Tighten nut at rear wheels

Last edited:
C
Nov 21, 2019
Loosen nut on rear wheels, tighten track equally on each side. Proper gap is 1 1/4” at mid rail with 15lbs of force. Start sled and run track around , ensure track is centered. Tighten nut at rear wheels
Thank you. I got it dropped off again today. Over the summer, the float bowls are filling with 2 stroke. I thought I had it fixed last time by taking it apart and cleaning it, but looks like he's getting a new fuel/oil pump this year. The carbs are a little bit of a bitch to pull and it's old. lol.

C
Nov 21, 2019
How many miles does it have? Some of the government machines don't see much use.
It's got 2700 on it now and he put over half of those on. The Forest Service built a great big cargo rack on the back with a high hitch point. I think they did anyway, because I've never seen one like it. Very clean sled. Has a bumper number on it (1) and the Yamaha key chain has a brass tag with 1 on it. Pretty neat.

Premium Features