• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

8DN on Viper made easy.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Due to the bashing by TWIT's I said I would not post any more tech....but lets try one last time and see if we can share some tech and be adult.

And yes that is not a Viper secondary it is one of my old throw away secondary's that sat under the grinder, but the parts are the same

8DN on Viper made easy.

1. Secondary clutch shims.
a. Shims required for 8DN belt. This is different from other shims like helix shims or center shims.

On the back of the secondary clutch are 3 small bolts. (see first pic below one bolt removed) They push in and hold the secondary apart to adjust belt deflection in the closed or stopped position (that is in simple terms the belt slack or tightness). Yes I know why so archaic of a method for belt deflection. Anyways those of you that rode Yamaha very long know these bolts get beat up and shorten and you have to replace them when the deflection changes usually noticed by belt squealing and sled trying to creep at idle. So new bolts if the belt rides too high over the sheave, and add washers if the belt rides too low.

attachment.php

So when you install an 8DN belt you need to check deflection. When the ribs just stick above the sheave you are correct. This in my opinion is not an exact science so a little leeway is ok here as long as it is close (disclaimer: close is relative term though) The second pic below is close to what I consider proper belt deflection, maybe a hair high. (not going to adjust it a hair for this pic...lol)

attachment.php

So when you add an 8DN belt you may need to add another washer to this bolt to space apart the sheaves for proper belt deflection and getting the 8DN to the deflection shown above. Shown in 3rd pic below is a bolt and everyday garden variety of washer added for most 8DN installs (NOTE: some 8DN go on and do not need any adjustment) Obviously same size washer set on all 3 bolts. You can also have machining done instead of washer but it is not necessary. You still have secondary off, wrap belt around sheave and check deflection. Reinstall when correct.

attachment.php

NOTE!!!!!!!!!!! Belts have a lot of difference even when new, check deflection when changing belts even the same size belts.

2. Helix shims
a. Helix shims are for reducing the secondary coil spring bind. The best way is to have your secondary or helix machined to get rid of coil bind but if you choose instead to shim the helix (this is usually used to test whether coil bind is affecting you to decide if you wish to machine your parts) this is how. NOTE: this is not the recommended long term solution to coil bind.

Remove Helix and put 3 washers all the same size on the studs as shown in the last pic below and bolt helix back on. Test and decide if you wish to machine your secondary or helix and THEN REMOVE WASHERS as this is not the recommended way and put here only to remove confusion about the different secondary shims being discussed.

attachment.php

clutch1.jpg clutch2.jpg clutch3.jpg clutch4.jpg

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
There is also a deflection adjuster that is available for quick adjustments on the fly when you swap belts.

Yep, I bought one but never put it on. Once set the only time I ever needed deflection adjustment on older Yamahas was when the belt was wore. As cheap as the 8dn is I will replace the belt when it gets that wore. If you use that tool you can remove the plate the deflection screws set into and gain even more adjustment.

R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
Will this belt work on a viper if its turboed. Do you have a part number, I might pick up a new viper next week with a turbo and if this belt will work and its cheaper I will get one for a spare.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Will this belt work on a viper if its turboed. Do you have a part number, I might pick up a new viper next week with a turbo and if this belt will work and its cheaper I will get one for a spare.

It's the belt to run on your turbo. 8j SMS to be holding up. I've had 8 turbod yammis and think I might have smoked one belt that I changed out and used as a spare

R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
Heres the part number I found for the 8dn, its the same one I had on my turbo nitro a few years back. 8DN-17641-01-00 I assume this is the 8DN belt you are referring too? Its $58 bucks on ebay, way cheaper than the regular belt that comes on the viper.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Found some interesting specs between the Viper and Nytro belts...

Viper= 1.406" wide by 44.250"

Nytro= 1.375" wide by 44.625"

So, the Viper belt is about a 1/32" wider and 3/8" shorter.

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden

Yupp, that's why you might have to add washers in the secondary (Apex / Nytro belt is a bit thinner) and as you might know, 8JP (Viper) belt is to short.
Extensive testing made by Ulmer Racing if anyone have any doubts.

Sent from my Sanwa M12

Last edited:
S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com

Just to add to that, measure belts you buy and you will see they are not all that close on tolerances. Which makes sense as they get narrower as you ride so why spend extra time getting them exactly the right width.

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
blown belt

I blew my stock viper belt today right at 450 miles on new sled I guess I will have to try the 8DN? I was expecting it to last a little longer than that?

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Just to add to that, measure belts you buy and you will see they are not all that close on tolerances. Which makes sense as they get narrower as you ride so why spend extra time getting them exactly the right width.

Stingray, You might want to add a thickness of the washer(s) you use instead of "general garden washer". I had to add 2 washers(1 thick 1 thin) in addition to the stock one and I could have still went a tad more to get it to ride a lil higher in the secondary. I was getting tired of pulling my secondary off/on testing washers and belt heights, so I decided to leave it a lil low.

Btw, when the 8DN belt was brand new, belt deflection was pretty close. After 20 miles it had loosened up and engagement turned jerky.

I can't believe how much belt dust off the 8JP belt was getting all the way over to the muffler side belly pan!!

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Stingray, You might want to add a thickness of the washer(s) you use instead of "general garden washer". I had to add 2 washers(1 thick 1 thin) in addition to the stock one and I could have still went a tad more to get it to ride a lil higher in the secondary. I was getting tired of pulling my secondary off/on testing washers and belt heights, so I decided to leave it a lil low.

Btw, when the 8DN belt was brand new, belt deflection was pretty close. After 20 miles it had loosened up and engagement turned jerky.

I can't believe how much belt dust off the 8JP belt was getting all the way over to the muffler side belly pan!!

I didn't list the thickness of washer as the correct deflection depends on the thickness of the belt which as you saw varies. Some end up taking the bolts clear out to get proper deflection and some don't need any changes...depends on the belt.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I blew my stock viper belt today right at 450 miles on new sled I guess I will have to try the 8DN? I was expecting it to last a little longer than that?

Our first Viper I took the belt off at just a little over 50 miles because of the belt dust causing the primary clutch to bind. I suggest you check your primary for sticktion from belt dust before you put the 8DN in.

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
Our first Viper I took the belt off at just a little over 50 miles because of the belt dust causing the primary clutch to bind. I suggest you check your primary for sticktion from belt dust before you put the 8DN in.

yes i am planning on taking everything off and going through everything and cleaning up nice before putting the new 8DN on. Thanks for the right up on this, so i will see little to no belt dust with new 8DN? and yes i agree way to much belt dust with stock belt engine compartment is a black mess

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
yes i am planning on taking everything off and going through everything and cleaning up nice before putting the new 8DN on. Thanks for the right up on this, so i will see little to no belt dust with new 8DN? and yes i agree way to much belt dust with stock belt engine compartment is a black mess

About the same as a Nytro or Apex as far as dust with 8dn, which is little to none.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I just don't understand why you try and fix something that isn't broken. Yamaha has had the best/cheapest belt on the market for a long time. Why change it now for something that is obviously inferior.

Maybe Cat told them they had to have a sled that ate belts too:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Has anyone measured to see if the center to center changed on the clutches from the nytro to the viper? That may explain the reason for a new belt. Engineers are funny like that. Why check to see if the old belt would work when you can design a new one!

Premium Features