• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

860 or rear skid 09xp163

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
R
Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake
Revdawg and Sherriff. Thanks for the support and backup information to my suspension claim. My shock is different Revdawg because I was a test pilot for Baker last season and I believe there were only 3 or 4 built last year.

Ah i see. We put 5 of them in this year and everyone loves them so far.

Might be out there this weekend too, i'll keep an eye out for you guys.

R
Mar 13, 2008
Not that it really matters if it works, but does that racers edge stuff add much weight I know at least the older m10s where pretty heavy. Does it use the big tunnel stiffener drop brackets like the m10?

Sheriff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Olds, Alberta
Not that it really matters if it works, but does that racers edge stuff add much weight I know at least the older m10s where pretty heavy. Does it use the big tunnel stiffener drop brackets like the m10?

With the Titanium Spring the weight is equal to stock. With the steel spring you add 3 lbs...No there are no tunnell stiffeners involved.

My Racers Edge M-10 also weighs 3 lbs more than the stock skid, complete with the stiffeners.

B

Brotha NOS

Dec 15, 2005
Balzac AB
Tunnel Stiffeners.

Yes, there are tunnel stiffeners. It was tried without the stiffeners but the stock drop down brackets were too weak. The weight increase using the steel spring and including the tunnel stiffeners is 2-3 pounds. Cost is $2000.00 CDN and $2300 CDN installed. Using the titanium spring in the suspension and tunnel stiffeners the weight is equal to stock. The titanium spring is a $400.00 option.

Sheriff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Olds, Alberta
Yes, there are tunnel stiffeners. It was tried without the stiffeners but the stock drop down brackets were too weak. The weight increase using the steel spring and including the tunnel stiffeners is 2-3 pounds. Cost is $2000.00 CDN and $2300 CDN installed. Using the titanium spring in the suspension and tunnel stiffeners the weight is equal to stock. The titanium spring is a $400.00 option.

I stand corrected. I remembered after I read your post about the initial weakness...

M
Feb 23, 2009
Aurora Co.
Clutching and suspension upgrade first. The biggest impact I have made on my XP-X 163 is Tom's Evolution Air suspension it has allowed my to climb faster, further, and turn much easier in deep powder conditions, I feel it has made the X what it should have been from the factory, a real mountain sled.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
skids

ummm...

ITS a well known fact that the shocks werent charged to 300 PSI in 2008 and the rears sagged (HUGE lose of performance)...NOW if a guy has all 4 shocks re-oiled/gas correctly ($150 or stage 1 valving for $250) and the next stiffer rear springs ($80)... put a 2.5 track ($600) you would get a BIG surprise from stock componants (ask Ralph)...not counting a new motor...

stage 1 shocks/new rear springs $330
2.5 track $600
SHR860R $1995
clutch kit $200 = $3125

so $3125 VS new skid/2.5 track/front shocks @ roughly $3400....I hate doing math..

FYI- I have a new Hill Climb Summit...all four shocks are getting rebuilt to factory spec...just because I would rather KNOW my shocks are right vs assume...BJ

disclaimer- I'm NOT saying these new skids arent great or worth the money...JUST the factory stuff only needs a little attention to work ALOT better...

Sheriff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Olds, Alberta
ummm...

ITS a well known fact that the shocks werent charged to 300 PSI in 2008 and the rears sagged (HUGE lose of performance)...NOW if a guy has all 4 shocks re-oiled/gas correctly ($150 or stage 1 valving for $250) and the next stiffer rear springs ($80)... put a 2.5 track ($600) you would get a BIG surprise from stock componants (ask Ralph)...not counting a new motor...

stage 1 shocks/new rear springs $330
2.5 track $600
SHR860R $1995
clutch kit $200 = $3125

so $3125 VS new skid/2.5 track/front shocks @ roughly $3400....I hate doing math..

FYI- I have a new Hill Climb Summit...all four shocks are getting rebuilt to factory spec...just because I would rather KNOW my shocks are right vs assume...BJ

disclaimer- I'm NOT saying these new skids arent great or worth the money...JUST the factory stuff only needs a little attention to work ALOT better...

Not sure but I think Big John also agree's with suspension upgrades?...:)

My BB hits the Revy snow tomorrow 8am.:D

T

trinitypowder

Nov 26, 2007
Well after today I say MOTOR, MOTOR, MOTOR! After finally getting my jetting correct(exactly what BJ's specs were intially!!!) on my SHR860, I have become a firm believer in BB's. This thing flat out KILLED it at the Snowies today! My Tom's Evol Air did it's part, but the MOTOR was impressive. I got to show some boys on big ol' M1000's the way home! Do yourself a favor-if you get an SHR860- LISTEN TO BIG JOHN and no one else!

H
Nov 30, 2007
Hardin, MT
What differences are there in the performance of the Racers Edge and Timbersled suspensions? I am leaning toward a Timbersled skid most of you guys are running the racers edge. Is it that much better? Have you compared them side by side?

R
Mar 13, 2008
What differences are there in the performance of the Racers Edge and Timbersled suspensions? I am leaning toward a Timbersled skid most of you guys are running the racers edge. Is it that much better? Have you compared them side by side?
ttt

R
Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake
Haven't seen the Timbersled in action but it does look good.
Baker (Racer's Edge) is notorious for his work on chassis, always been his gig.
I personlly have tried the float route and am not a big fan, even after a revalve. Ti spring and properly dialed in shock will out perform a float any day, and the there is little weight difference compared to the float.

my .02

Last edited:

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I have about 4 rides on my Hill Climb Edition. I am pretty happy so far with the adjustments available.

One day I would love to get my bone stocker next to the same sled (or any XP w/154) with an aftermarket rear skid and swap a couple of times and see what the difference is first hand.

My last sled I spent my money chasing horse power and I had plenty. With the new HCE I just want to make it work as well as I can in the powder before I throw money at it (and wait for the warranty to run out).

Last edited:
R
Mar 13, 2008
With the old wedge polaris chassis we lightgtened the front skid shock all the way to let the skid climb up on the snow. With th xp if you do that you can't steer the thing, along Big Johns line of fine tuning the stock suspension What do we do with limiterstrap/frontskid adjustments for climbing in the deep snow, yet still make it steerable.

Premium Features