• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 ctec durability

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
Curious what kind of mileage guys are getting out of this engine? I see a few used ones with new engines. Primary failure taking out the engine of engine piling up?

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Curious what kind of mileage guys are getting out of this engine? I see a few used ones with new engines. Primary failure taking out the engine of engine piling up?
Three seasons with my '21 Alpha Ctec800 and have had ZERO issues with the engine. Around 2k miles, a little low but that's because I run my Proclimb dual rail in springtime conditions. The entire sled has been very reliable, only a broken primary spring and a small crack on the rear scissor from the skid.

I'll see how my new 23 9R compares as far as reliability as soon as I can pick it up as they are currently waiting for a clutch fix from Polaris before they release it to me.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Small number of the 2018/2019s lost rod and/or crank bearings. Most common issue was snow ingestion though. The 2018s had terrible gaps in the intakes. Then there were people not getting hoods seated on properly to airbox up front. I'm sure there's been a few that have had a crank thrown out from exploding clutches too.

Make sure the intakes are sealed up and I wouldn't be scared to run them.

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
I’d like to think a guy could get decent mileage out of them before a rebuild.

I had a 18 and a 20 but never kept them long enough to put the miles on. I wanted to pick up a 21 Yamaha mountain max as a second sled and my son can ride also.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I have just over 6000 KM on my 2019 and about 1000 km boosted to the 6k ish mark. I did the original pistons at around 5500KM and they looked just fine. crank seemed good. My reeds were good. I add a bit of oil to the fuel. I'm pretty conscious of holding it pinned for ever unlike some. when I got the sled First thing I did was seal the intake up... i had snow even getting in up top where the mesh screens are, the things didn't clip in right...
This winter I plan to put a Real kit on the sled like ibexx/solid. and run low boost.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
My 19 Alpha has 8500km l think now. All was good until l squeaked a hole at 7300km. They gave me a whole new engine under warranty. I didn't complain. It took 6 months though.

I check compression between trips and it was always in the same range. I kept an eye on crank run-out and it never changed from new. About 0.0015. I ride plenty of deep snow and never did anything to improve intake sealing. I always splashed a little oil in the tank. We hit some big zones and it gets held WFO for minutes at a time some rides.

I had them do reeds and injectors for the new motor. The part throttle rideability is junk now. It used to be crisp and clean. Full throttle is fine.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Just shy of 2k on my ‘20. Engine itself has been solid, but had to replace injectors at about 1400 miles and primary at 1100.

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
I think the 600 and 800 Ctec engines are pretty similar... I can offer that we have a 2016 M6000 that showed about 5000 miles on it (former West Yellowstone rental sled) when it broke pieces from the piston ring land on one cylinder. I believe it may have been assembled incorrectly right from the factory, as there was a mark on the ring where the little pin had been pushing on it for some time. The ring eventually wore the pin down or pushed it in, which allowed it to turn and that's when it broke chunks out of the piston as it went past the exhaust ports... Other than that damage, it looked fine inside, with the other cylinder showing little sign of wear and all the bearings still tight. I put a set of SPI pistons in it and had the cylinder repaired and it's been fine since. I'm sure no extra oil was ever added to the tank, and I'm not adding any now that it's done with break in again. It only gets non-ethanol fuel unless I'm stuck somewhere that I can't get it...

That said, I just picked up a 2017 Mountain Cat to replace my boosted '09 M8. I've got almost 5000 miles on the M8, and I put closer to 6000 on the M8 I owned before this one with neither needing more than a few spark plug changes. I highly doubt the Ctec 800 will come close to the reliability of the old Zuk, so I decided to stick with what I know for now... When I have 5000 miles on the Mountain Cat, I'll probably re-visit this thread and see how the Ctec's are doing... Those of you reporting "trouble free" at 2000 miles are just getting broken in as far as I'm concerned... ;)

S
Apr 7, 2010
I'm looking at a 17 Ctec 6000 w 6200 on it. Should I plan on just doing a new top end right off the bat? Also what is everyone's opinion on the crank at that milage?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I'd leak down test it and go from there. At that point I'm 50/50 on not touching it and not fixing what isn't broke. Then if it blows plan on spending the money + a little more you're thinking of spending now. Or get a used motor to replace it.

jeeper8650

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2016
2019, I had injectors leak go out at ~2k miles then the top end blew at 4K. My buddies 2019 blew the top end at about 1700 miles.

Otherwise they were good but I’d plan on work at higher miles

Premium Features