• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 Ascender

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Just looking for other thoughts on this. Been looking to build a Proclimb/Ascender chassis with a turbo M1000 engine. Found and bought a 2018 Mtn Cat 162 with blown CTEC engine (400 kms on new engine and snow ingestion killed it). Have 2 freshened up 1000 engines and mostly complete complete turbo kit as well as the CNC plates to install said engine. Could be into this build for under 4000$. Have also located a good CTEC for around 2K. Still could be into the sled under 5K putting it to stock. Have very little ride time on a CTEC and it felt about the same as my ported Suzuki 800 in my 16. Worth it to dump money into the CTEC or go with the budget 1000 build to have something different? I know it is a heavier engine but the low end grunt of those was kind of fun. Stirring the pot for opinions.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Pretty sure there’s a post on here somewhere of someone who put an m1000 in a proclimb. Might be worth doing a little digging to find and see if it’s worth the effort.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I've seen a few people post about putting M1000 engines in proclimb chassis. They seem to get the engines in and then peter out. Leads me to believe it doesn't work as well as people hope, or it's a bigger headache than it's worth. The one I saw that reported getting on the snow didn't seem to run well with the modified stock pipe, but better with a modified D&D pipe. So you may be doing a lot of tuning and trial and error to get the turbo running right.

After riding a lightly modded M1000, M1300, 900BB Suzuki Proclimb, stock Ctec, 900BB Ctec, and supercharged Ctec this is my comparison on powerplants. 900BB Suzuki runs similar, maybe a little better, to the M1000 without the weight penalty or hot mid-range issues. Stock Ctec is pretty snappy on the bottom and runs well for a stock machine. 900BB Ctec I rode was still snappy on the bottom, more so than the Zuk 900, but not as impressive in the mid or on top. I will say it was lacking some RPM and needed weight pulled from the primary for the elevation we were at. I got the impression a stage 2 kit would be almost or as good. M1300 and supercharger both have a TON of bottom end and both are thirsty! Supercharger maintains more on top at elevation. Supercharger system with water/air intercooler kind of equals out the pure weight numbers between them, but the super charger being mounted on the right side helps balance the weight out. Supercharger is less fuss pull and go ride and the M1000 or 1300 always worried about watching EGTs, water temp, engine mounts, something...

Summary: If you want something you can put together and ride right away with minimal fuss put the 800 Ctec in, maybe with a stage 2 kit, seal the intake, and have fun. If you want a tinker project that takes all season to dial in then try shoehorning that 1000 in there.

spoon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
The CNC plates came from the guy in Sweden who got one on the snow but never dialed it in as far as I know at this time. Was going to convert a Twisted Turbo pump gas kit for 1000 that I have to fit this chassis. Have a Boondocker Proclimb 800 kit to use for parts as well. Used to be a dealer for Twisted way back and built a few of my own kits too. Have a few other built and dialed sleds to ride in case this doesnt work as well as I would like and only real loss is my time which I enjoy on projects like this. Will post pics and progress report when I get going on this in a few weeks. Worst case I put another CTEC in later or part it out. Sled was 2500$ CDN and had new Team Clutches. Already have 90% of what is needed to install the 1000. Pipe and intake are biggest hurdles. Used to run a 174 M1000 at 7-8 lbs on pump and it had great throttle response and the only thing comparable in deep snow at the time in our area were the Turbo Yammies. I know times and riding styles have changed but want to try the bigblock in newer chassis.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Be sure to keep us updated on the progress! I was just thinking how much larger the 1000 pipe is than the 800. Might be tough getting it to fit inside the Ascender plastics. A Mtn Fit hood with mods might be in order. Especially since you won't be using the factory intake anyway.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
would be a cool build, kinda lost me with the turbo stuff though, would get so heavy. I would think a crispy tuned (do they get crisp? lol) 1000 NA would be more fun per the wrenching. only advantage i see is torque. Id do the 3.2" and ride it on deeper big hill days. crawl through the trees like a tractor and stretch your arms when it opens up...
kinda fun to visualize sitting here in the summer heat.

spoon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
would be a cool build, kinda lost me with the turbo stuff though, would get so heavy. I would think a crispy tuned (do they get crisp? lol) 1000 NA would be more fun per the wrenching. only advantage i see is torque. Id do the 3.2" and ride it on deeper big hill days. crawl through the trees like a tractor and stretch your arms when it opens up...
Will see when I get it in there. If I can make an intake without much hassle to fit those big wide throttle bodies I may try it N/A as I find my ported/tuned 800 sled a little more fun than my Turbo these days. I may also see if I can find someone to change the taper on one of my Team Roller primarys to fit the 1000 crank and see how that works too. Might see if Linderman will work his magic on the 1000 cylinders too. Kinda looking forward to the project. Losing oil injection and have STM powervalves to install so will save a little weight there. Might see if I can find an aftermarket pipe as well as they are a lot lighter than the stock one.

spoon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Be sure to keep us updated on the progress! I was just thinking how much larger the 1000 pipe is than the 800. Might be tough getting it to fit inside the Ascender plastics. A Mtn Fit hood with mods might be in order. Especially since you won't be using the factory intake anyway.
I work with the guy who is the Canadian distributor for Mountain Fit so no prob to go that route if I have to.

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Depends on what you are looking for. My experience with the 1l motor is that it’s ridiculous on low/mid. Great on top end. Heavy as fk. I’ve ridden a twisted kit 1k and it’s madness on straight climbs. Unrideable on the daily. If you are doing this as a fun project that you wanna rip on big steep straight up climbs than you will be very happy w it.
If you want this to be a daily rider that you will enjoy- stick w a ctec stock motor. My opinion. Ctec is fairly reliable from the experience in our group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT

I'm with you on this. I only know a little about the M1000, but what makes this kind of swap worth it is the instant torque that only displacement can give you. The turbo adds more weight, more tuning, and more headaches. A turbo M1000 would be cool for an all-out, cost-is-no-object build - just to have something different - but if it were me and I wanted the turbo, I'd find the best CTEC kit and be done with it. The M1000 swap sounds like it's got kinks to be worked out, but I like the idea - I just wouldn't make things even harder by adding a turbo to the mix...

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Waste of your time.
1. The stock clutches it will be hard to get the power to the ground.
2. It’s so tight that any mods/fabrication are gonna take lotsa time.
3. Chassis is a front heavy pig.
4. It won’t be the super azz kicker you think it can be. More like a bragging type thing like “hey I gotta 1000cc under the hood.”

Just sharing my experience with the chassis.

D
Jan 2, 2009
Coquitlam, BC
Waste of your time.
1. The stock clutches it will be hard to get the power to the ground.
2. It’s so tight that any mods/fabrication are gonna take lotsa time.
3. Chassis is a front heavy pig.
4. It won’t be the super azz kicker you think it can be. More like a bragging type thing like “hey I gotta 1000cc under the hood.”

Just sharing my experience with the chassis.
A front heavy pig? Really? lol

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Care to offer a valid opinion that contributes to the forum or just stick with a lol?

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I value his lol more than a hater opinion cuz I know exactly what he meant.

Number one complaint I hear from other brand riders trying our sleds on the hill is how the hell do you keep the skis down.

Lol in no way invalidates an opinion.
Beats being a prick.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I value his lol more than a hater opinion cuz I know exactly what he meant.

Number one complaint I hear from other brand riders trying our sleds on the hill is how the hell do you keep the skis down.

Lol in no way invalidates an opinion.
Beats being a prick.
Does it make you feel a bigger man when you call someone a name? Are you one of them flying monkeys? Haha

Last edited:

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Exactly who did I call what name?
I simply stated I appreciate guys that step in with an lol more than guys that have to be a prick.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
You seem to get offended anytime anyone says anything negative about Cat, you must like to wear it.

Premium Features