• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

5,000 RPM when starting

T

tomassend

Nov 2, 2010
PNW
I rebuilt a 2003 Yamaha mountain viper, pressure tested, started it in the summer, good to go. Fogged it down, just started it up today. Upon start up she idled low so I adjusted to 1800 rpm as recommended in the manual.

What's left to do but take it out around the block a few times and make sure my track adjustments pan out. So lap one was good, but it is the engine break in period so I putted it on the road at about 15 mph or so. Nothing crazy. So I enter into the alley to finish up lap 2, gave a quick rap on the throttle and it never backed off. Throttle was in the idle position (not touched at all) but it kept wanting to go. So I killed it.

So I sat there to think for a minute, then pulled the rope again (squeezing the brake) and almost immediately fowled a plug. There was no loud noise or anything but it just started puttering on me. So again I killed it.

Dragged it into the garage, pulled the PTO side plug out, (it's a tripple) looked to have some oil on it a so I swapped it.

Then curioius to see what would happen, I threw the sled on the stand, pulled the cord and the motor just took off. So I know I fowled a plug on the second re-start which is fine, but why the hell is it running like a rape ape?

Any insight you guys have out there would be greatly appreciated. It is the 2003 Mountain Viper 144, my GF will be riding it this year and I want to make sure it is safe for her.

Thanks!

Dave Tomassen

T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
obviously you have the TORS unplugged. what did the other plugs look like? maybe an air leak? throttle cable to tight? thats all i can think of hope it helps

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
I would check the cab le where it hooks to the carb rack, sound like something could be binding or caught. maybe un-hook cable at rack and try again if it still runs fast, take a close look for a leak carb boots etc.
But I really think it will be cable related, make sure the cables are mounted proper?

T

tomassend

Nov 2, 2010
PNW
Twincamm88 - What do you mean by TORS unplugged? Yes I checked the other plugs, they looked good, no white at all. The throttle cable has no free play in it, only as much as it should normally. That would mean the throttle cable is not too tight, I can see the little slack just looking at it. If it was an air leak, would that make it run at higher RPM or would it want to stall out?

Snakebit - I checked the cable, looks good, not tight. Would an air leak make a motor run higher RPM......wouldn't it want to bog out instead?

I will check tonight to see if one of the carb slides is stuck up a little bit.

Thanks for your help guys.

T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
TORS is the throttle over ride it kicks in if the throttle sticks and stuff like that. what about where the cable splits off to the oil pump it will be cover by some rubber. pull the rubber up and see it the cable is pulled out and stuck on ther shoulder of the connector. good luck

T

tomassend

Nov 2, 2010
PNW
Officially a Dumb ***

Whether this is a wives tale or not is a totally different story. However there have been tales that dryer sheets keep mice out of your sled intake system. So even with the note on the handle bars to remove the sheets prior to starting it seems in the spring I put sheets above and below the air filter. Well I removed the ones above it..............but didn't check below.

So tonight I lifted the air filter and sure enough there were 6 holes with 5 sheets. The one sheet, you guessed it............right in the central carb.

So removed and restarted, idles like a baby.

Ha! I am such a jack ***.

Thanks for all your help regardless.

Dave Tomassen

T

tomassend

Nov 2, 2010
PNW
True, the carbs are pretty fresh. More of a bonus now though, everytime I smell my clothes I think about my sled.

Premium Features