• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

450 XCW fork spring recomendations

S
Jan 28, 2019
So I have a 2013 450 XCW built snowbike, love the softness of the stock springs on the bumps, but bottoms out very very easily.
What springs are recommended to stiffen it up, but I dont want to go to stiff as ride more enduro style and dont take any big jumps. I would rather go a bit thinner on the springs and valve it for max bottoming out resistance.
Im seeing 0.54-0.58 as being the most common size, but, could I just use springs from an SXF and valve it to the max? I am assuming the sxf has stiffer springs, and same OD & length and will fit the tubes, if not correct me.

D
Feb 16, 2009
I’d recommend just running an Air Pro. Or if you have the coin and a Timbersled spindle, the Trio is the way to go.

C
Apr 22, 2019
I personally think the TRIO is the way to go if you are using the bike as a dual purpose machine. For a dedicated snow-bike...Give Brockstar Performance a call, and he can set you up with springs and a re-valve typically for under $400...I feel that his suspension is superior to any TRIO setup I have ridden.

Chris

V
Apr 8, 2016
30 ml fork oil in each tube.
Works well on:
500 EXC 2016 TS MH LT
500 EXC 2017. TS ARO 120 LE
450 SXF 2020.5. TS ARO 120 LE Yes, air fork swallow it with great result.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I personally think the TRIO is the way to go if you are using the bike as a dual purpose machine. For a dedicated snow-bike...Give Brockstar Performance a call, and he can set you up with springs and a re-valve typically for under $400...I feel that his suspension is superior to any TRIO setup I have ridden.

Chris
Is Brock still doing forks? I emailed once in the summer and again in the fall, through his website, to get mine done and never got a reply from either email so running stock motocross setup again this winter.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Yes adding oil will stop the bottoming. Don't be afraid to add too much. It won't hurt anything. In the spring you really should change the oil anyway when you go back to dirt to get the water out of the oil. I tried putting .54 in mine after 5 seasons of just adding oil and wasn't impressed. It made the front ride higher and more ski pressure so I slid the forks up to level back out. It's a tad better but the oil makes a bigger improvement.

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
Is Brock still doing forks? I emailed once in the summer and again in the fall, through his website, to get mine done and never got a reply from either email so running stock motocross setup again this winter.
Yes Brock is still very much doing forks, he might have had some website issues at some point -- best bet is to call him 435-232-1604

V
Apr 8, 2016
Just added fork oil? no springs or valves?
Yours fork doing well, right?
But, by installing ski spindle, working length is shortened (and more kilograms are adding). So butooming is occurring.
Easy and effective solutions is make hydrostop work early. I.e. let less air in the tubes, i.e. add oil.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Yes Brock is still very much doing forks, he might have had some website issues at some point -- best bet is to call him 435-232-1604
Thanks. Good point. I'll call next time I reach out. Too late for this season. Will hit him up in the spring/summer.

Premium Features