• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

4 speed?

J
Feb 8, 2024
Langley
I’m considering a yz450f that has a 4 speed tranny for a snow bike. Is this a good idea or is 5 speed way better? Any other considerations? Carburetor vs injected?, electric start, etc.
Thanks.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Fuel injection is huge on a snow bike. Electric start is really nice but not mandatory. What year are you talking about? Old. Bikes are great on dirt but for snow…at least in real mountains and pow pow having a modern bike is pretty key in my opinion.

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho
Carbs are fine as long as you have a 'feel' for them. Some guys don't and struggle with starting etc. You'll need to do a good job with motor shielding to keep the carb warm and/or do a carb heater. I don't have any experience on snow with the 4 speed Yamaha on snow but I suspect the tranny feel a little gappy and if you geared it down to close the gaps top speed would be really low, which may or may not matter depending on how much road you ride.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I have personally been impressed by the old 4 speed yami i think it was an 06. It was not gappy And I can make a carb start easy and do magical things and be more reliable than fi but if you are concerned about kick starts and carb tuning would be a bigger deal breaker than the 4 speed for most people and if cost is the issue there are plenty of cheap 2013 ktms not much more cost than an older bike.

J
Feb 8, 2024
Langley
Thanks for the replies! I'm considering an '03 which is the 3rd generation YZ with the 4 speed ('03- '05). I'm not concerned about carbs at all and know i can get it running reliably. Just might have trouble with the availability of easy conversion kits, being that old.. Just researching everything now...engine 'blankets', thermostats, etc. Didn't know about a carb heater!

Premium Features