• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3" lugs and overheating

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Whatever man. They weigh less than a 1/2#, plus you pop them off in about 1 min.
We can't all live in Canada. Some of us non- diehards actually have to really want to get to snow. So, if a 1/2# gets me there, I'm happy.

I'm sorry if you took that as being a dink - wasn't my intention.

I just don't want people to get the wrong impression that a 3" long track sled with these new short coolers is "ok" in marginal snow. It's not - it sucks. That's why there were threads full of people who couldn't keep a hi-fax on there new 174 t3 for more than 1 ride and couldn't figure out why. But it's do-able with patience, or (as you've noted), modifications :)

W

westhawk39

Dec 7, 2011
Whiteshell MB
The ski-z works. I put them on this year. With the low snow down low this year it was taking forever to get back to the the snow because of the overheating. After installing temps dropped 30 degrees. No more stopping. They work very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many miles do you have on them? Me and a buddy installed on a trip out west. First ride one of his broke, and second ride one of mine broke. Maybe my hole wasn't perfectly centres but my right ski was grabbing funny and made the sled unpredictable. I took that one off first ride and the other broke. There's a reason they are $35. Would t buy again.

M

Mountain_Man

Apr 17, 2014
Western Montana
I have ridden a lot of marginal roads and trails this year (T3-174) trying to get to better riding. If the snow is packed hard enough that you barely leave tracks you won't make it far without packing the tunnel with snow or doing something to help cool down. Generally it's not that bad and doing that 1-3 times gets me through the worst of it. Unless the snow is the driest and lightest of powder, just 1/2" of powder is good enough to keep the temperature good if the speed can be kept up enough that the snow actually gets on the cooler. For slower going, you might need more depth to get the job done.

I also load the track up with snow to help cool and lube it and the hyfax (mine are still in great condition) until we get to better going. Snow conditions this year have been a nightmare much of the time, but all in all it hasn't been a horrible job to deal with the cooling issues. Also, the air temperatures have generally be well above normal, which hasn't helped the cooling.

My opinion is if a person doesn't want to monitor and deal with it, don't get a 3". If some occasional extra steps won't bother you, the 3" isn't so bad and will give you a lot of extra traction when you need it. It would be nice to not have any issues, but reality is what it is. For every upside, there is usually a downside of some sort that comes with it.

Pine-sol

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2011
Westhawk- I have approx 90-100 miles on mine. Those would be just trail miles, as I pull them off as soon as we get to the backcountry. Not sure if that's a lot or little to each individual person.
I'm not trying to say they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. Just another option to have in poor snow conditions for trying to take care of your machine. Up to this point they've worked well for me.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I don't have a 3" but still had issues this season. Many sleds had issues. I caught up to a group I was catching up to. 2 M7's, 1 M8 and 1 M1000. They were stopped, hoods up, melting snow to pour into the coolant bottles. 10 k up from the trucks. Didn't see the little lights on their dashes because of the sunshine.
I waited and followed to the cabin for a beer then said arrivaderchi boys and slid back to the truck. I think I burned 3 liters in 32 k. lol. I found out later the M1000 didn't make the day.

I installed some 8mm bolts in the ski's and at speed they help a lot. Don't do s##t in the trees. Even the tree wells are solid this year.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
People are going too crazy on this 3 inch overheat thing. They do run 20 degrees hotter but if you are overheating then it is pretty good odds the stockers will too. I struggled a few times with my 155 2.4. Scratches were doing no good. My wife's T3 174 wasn't having anymore troubles then me. I wouldn't base one year of crappy snow on your decision. If you want a 3 go for it. If you're worried about no snow why are you buying a new sled. This issue is the same as the poo motors. It isn't half as bad as it is made out to be. I had a 13 155 with a 3 and didn't have any trouble. I always tell my wife I am not going to live my life based on the worst that could happen. You guys should try it.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
stop and shovel...where

Hi Guys,
Some of you are saying on hard days that you have to occasionally stop and shovel snow onto the coolers. Really stupid question: Where are the coolers? Where should I be shoveling snow if I need to do this?

thanks

G
Apr 23, 2008
Moxee wa 98936
Do you have a bag on the back ?? I raised my bag up using some hi fax that i had it leaves a 1 inch area under the bag !! Also a friend of mine added a second set of scratchers on his sled he hasn't ridden yet with this setup !!

IMG_1466.jpg

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
The 2016 and 2017 3" track AXYS sleds dont overheat. The Pro did tend to heat up a bit, but not these. Had the new sled out for break in yesterday in minimal snow conditions. I had already replace the "scoop" snow flap with the regular "ported" one the 2.6 track sleds come with. Even with very little powder to be had on the trail, the scratchers down, and moving along at a decent speed (20 to 30 mph), this sled simply will not overheat. Ran between 124 and 131 degrees the whole time.

Seabass152

Premium Member
Jun 3, 2009
Truckee, Ca
I think it was mtmtk turbos offered a tunnel cooler adds weight but would prob. solve the prob. that you are having! just a idea

Rode a few trail miles today on packed down snow without scratchers. Sled had MTNTK kit with cooler and I never noticed it out of the 120's. Mostly 122-123.

Premium Features