• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

.22 rifle for target shooting?

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Definitly the Ruger 10/22. Anyone who tells you they are junk doesn't know jack about them. They cant be beat in price and reliability. And as it was said, you can customize them to your heart's desire. There is no end to the possibilities. Theres even a kit to put 2 of them together and make a dual-barrell gattling gun! :usa2:

Duct tape and some string?

I'd go for a 10/22 as well. Don't have one, but I'd get one if I was picking up another 22.

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
10/22 is also reliable...have 4 of them and clean them every time I get done shooting!

Have a buddy that has NEVER cleaned his for over 8 years now and it still works (not recommended)!

Also have a 17 hmr and love that round..fun to explode gofers :)

I am just like your friend. I have 2 of them. One has been in the machine shed for over 10 years and has never been cleaned. Only thing it may get is a squirt of wd40 once and a while and it always works when needed.

I haven't used them much since I got my .17 hmr. The hmr is a VERY fun shooter around the farm.:face-icon-small-hap

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho
I have a Remington 597 that I bought on clearance at Walmart, I rarely clean it and it is pretty darn accurate. Sometimes I wish I had a 10/22 just because of the aftermarket support, but that just means I won't be dumping a ton of money into a gun that works fine as it is.

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
Bought my son a Savage bolt action from Wally Word. Pretty accurate gun! Had a little trouble with ejecting the spent shell but we have that taken care of. Overall, pretty decent for $100.
Also have a Rossi pump. Fun gun to shoot and it is very accurate.
Both guns are open sights and we shoot spent shotgun shells at 20-25 yds all day long.
22's are lots of fun to shoot because you can still afford to do so..

BigT

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Definitly the Ruger 10/22. Anyone who tells you they are junk doesn't know jack about them. They cant be beat in price and reliability. And as it was said, you can customize them to your heart's desire. There is no end to the possibilities. Theres even a kit to put 2 of them together and make a dual-barrell gattling gun! :usa2:

I shot mine for the first time this weekend. I had just put the new Nikon scope on it and outta the box it was only 1/2" off to the right and low at 50 yards. Not bad

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
I have an assortment at home, wife has the 10/22...very good gun
Gave my 597 to my oldest girl a few years ago and she likes it
No trouble from either gun, the 597 stock mag sucks though

But I'm buying the boy a 597 for valentines day....easier just to have two of the same gun so I don't have to buy to many different mags....lol...and he's very tired of shooting my old knuckle buster pump

Youngest girl has a pink cricket with a scope

One day after the kids all move out, I can buy one for me again....right now I'm too busy setting up targets and throwing clay pidgeons while they shoot!

Last edited:
Premium Features