• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2023 holdovers

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
I tend to try and buy a snowmobile this time of year. Not finding any great deals. My bet is next year there will be some great deals. Dealer in Heber Utah had 15 2023 sleds put together for sale and 52 still wrapped crated in the backyard. Loads of people backed out of snow checks. Going to take some big incentives to move that many sleds.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Before the (fake) chinah flu, giving away non-currents was commonplace. The last couple years dealers got a taste of holding those margins. If 2024's are still somewhat limited the giveaways may not return just yet.

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
I tend to try and buy a snowmobile this time of year. Not finding any great deals. My bet is next year there will be some great deals. Dealer in Heber Utah had 15 2023 sleds put together for sale and 52 still wrapped crated in the backyard. Loads of people backed out of snow checks. Going to take some big incentives to move that many sleds.
The Dealer in Heber has 67 2023s in total and won't do a great deal? What percent of a discount off of MSRP would you consider a "Great Deal"?? And what was the Deal (if any) they were willing to make?

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
I guess I'm thinking mountain sleds. I assume he means all sleds.
Heber Utah dealer. I stopped in as they were open on Saturday and my new sled was broken. Not my normal dealer, but they were awesome to take a quick look at my sled. If I stop in I"ll take a picture. I was blown away by all the sleds. And I assume all mountain sleds, but they were covered in plastic wrap. 14 wide and 3 high.

I ended up buying my snowcheck on March 10th. $1500 off. After I saw all the holdovers, I should have waited till next year. With that many sleds, Polaris will need to give some serious discounts. To make maters worse, I am pretty sure my turbo siezed at mile 2, as I had zero boost and a funny noise from the right side after that. Taking sled in to get looked at tomorrow. First warranty claim I will have made in 12 years of buying Polaris. I almost bought a skidoo, now I kinda wish I would have. Loved my 22 boost, but Polaris rubbed me wrong with this snowcheck and now I get bad karma. ;(

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
Honestly that dealer has always been super strange. I called them a few different times when I was buying various sleds and they were always the highest priced by a good bit. Glad you were able to land on a fair price with them. I never was.

Meanwhile, Weller in Kamas offers MSRP + Freight/Set Up regardless of where the market is. They don't really deal when the market is upside down but they also don't rip you off when it's hot. Their shop is also way nicer, which isn't a sign of quality of work but I do feel a bit better about it and have been pleased with all their work. They have units in stock but I doubt they're backed up quite like Karl Malone Heber. I overhead that they sell ~350 sleds a year, both Doo and Polaris combined. I'd be surprised if they sold more than 50 non mtn sleds a year, probably all to tour companies.

All to say, I don't think this dealer is indicative of where the market is. I am sure it's slowing down but I don't expect there are many dealers as upside down as Karl Malone

M

mchilcutt

Dec 24, 2007
Last month paid $12,200 13K OTD (sales tax not included. out of state buyer) new 22 Matryx 850 155 Khaos. Dennis Dillion RV in Boise. Never seen so many sleds on a show room floor. Easily 30 built on the floor and the sales guy said they had another 50 plus still in crates across the street. I am thinking next fall Poo will be blowing 22's and 23's out!

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Last month paid $12,200 13K OTD (sales tax not included. out of state buyer) new 22 Matryx 850 155 Khaos. Dennis Dillion RV in Boise. Never seen so many sleds on a show room floor. Easily 30 built on the floor and the sales guy said they had another 50 plus still in crates across the street. I am thinking next fall Poo will be blowing 22's and 23's out!
Wow - great price!

I was going to snow check a 9r, but may not now if my 22 Matryx Pro, 165 track is worth 11k based on that price?

C
Dec 14, 2020
When they economy crashes in the next 6 months there is going to be some serious deals to be had on used sleds. I wouldn't be surprised to see 9R and Boosts for 14k or less.

That's what I'm waiting for. Slow down to have more time to enjoy my toys and I've been saving rather than spending the last 3 years waiting for it.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
When they economy crashes in the next 6 months there is going to be some serious deals to be had on used sleds. I wouldn't be surprised to see 9R and Boosts for 14k or less.
While I would hesitate to use the word crash, there is a slowdown afoot, obviously when you look at this thread, and look at the bazillion used sleds for sale on facebook etc... Discretionary spending like toys will slow down first in general, I saw an article where the RV industry is slowing down big time (bound to happen post-covid anyway), so can sleds and atvs be far behind?

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
While I would hesitate to use the word crash, there is a slowdown afoot, obviously when you look at this thread, and look at the bazillion used sleds for sale on facebook etc... Discretionary spending like toys will slow down first in general, I saw an article where the RV industry is slowing down big time (bound to happen post-covid anyway), so can sleds and atvs be far behind?

I saw the same or like article about the RV industry. I work at a Mercedes dealership & the used car sales manager is nervous to say the least. Just waiting for the market to tank. I think come fall all those leftovers are going to be on fire sale if not sold. Reminds me of years prior when Arctic Cat dealers had several model years of left overs. They could not give those sleds away. IDK if we will see used Boost/ 9R in the low teens but have seen some 22 Matryx RMK Slash 850's in the $11-13k price range already.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
The worst we've seen consumer debt default in 13 years last quarter. Nobody is talking about it but it's happening. The size of the payment for 9R and Boost is that of a nice car. Guys not taking them was the first sign. From what I understand the vast majority of guys that backed out on sleds were guys who were/do finance. Now you got the guys who did finance that will be looking to dump theirs to shed their $600 payment.

C
Dec 14, 2020
The worst we've seen consumer debt default in 13 years last quarter. Nobody is talking about it but it's happening. The size of the payment for 9R and Boost is that of a nice car. Guys not taking them was the first sign. From what I understand the vast majority of guys that backed out on sleds were guys who were/do finance. Now you got the guys who did finance that will be looking to dump theirs to shed their $600 payment.

If there were a different political party in charge right now they would be screaming recession 24/7.
As it is, anyone who pays any attention to the financial markets knows what's happening but nobody will talk about it.

Being in construction, I've seen it coming as stuff slows. I'm currently doing a project we bid in early 20, and we're 2 years out right now on signed contracts. We're not getting many more though, so I'll probably transition into smaller jobs and service work until the rates drop and bigger stuff is popping off.

Road construction is where it's at though. The government never quits spending.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Tell me about these "nice car" opportunities under $25k?!

Agree on the consumer debt situation. Even the big tech companies are laying off 10-20% of their workforce. That's a signal to everyone who over hired as the pandemic was ending that they should probably do the same.

And the cycle continues...

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
It's just kind of crazy how many industries got "bailed out" during COVID and how quickly they returned to the pre-pandemic state.

Everyone got right sized and then continued to chase top line sales and got stuck holding the bag when the sales returned to normal.

May just be me but it doesn't feel like selling out of inventory and making consumers have a sense of scarcity is the worst thing in the world. Better than training them to wait for discounts

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
My dealer got a significantly smaller snow check unit allocation, and filled it within a day.

Which makes you think that Polaris is already sensing the demand reduction and trying to reduce supply for the future.

The deals will be plentiful, especially on the ol dime a dozen NA 850s.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Tell me about these "nice car" opportunities under $25k?!

Agree on the consumer debt situation. Even the big tech companies are laying off 10-20% of their workforce. That's a signal to everyone who over hired as the pandemic was ending that they should probably do the same.

And the cycle continues...
I said payment. You can finance a sled for 36-48 months. They will let you finance a car to 72 months. You can buy a decent car for 45 grand.

Premium Features