• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2021 Polaris RMK

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
I see alot of poo riders converting to khaos set-up, not just doo's
It's new...people like new
Still nice move from poo to fill the gaps into their lineup.

I run a coupled skid 155 and it's wheeling enough already. I see the doos flipping backward on the flat and I can't comprehend why you'd want that.

As soon as the front end lift a bit too much the track is not pushing you totally forward anymore and the sled slows down. Probably fun to mess around but as soon as you hit the steep it certainly can't be an advantage. But what do I know

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
5AB8C170-DC04-4067-8735-0E35D96643B6.jpeg

I run a coupled skid 155 and it's wheeling enough already. I see the doos flipping backward on the flat and I can't comprehend why you'd want that.

As soon as the front end lift a bit too much the track is not pushing you totally forward anymore and the sled slows down. Probably fun to mess around but as soon as you hit the steep it certainly can't be an advantage. But what do I know

I didn’t think much of the Khaos until today.

Rode a rental and that skid, shock combo is impressive. Fun and precise.

It’s definitely closer to a pro rmk wheelie factor than a skidoo.

The 2020 850 definitely runs way better than the 2019’s ever did.

Last edited:

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Since the chassis and re-tooling is expensive for a new frame work ( even thought I would like one in 2022)-
Does it makes sense to keep the 800 ( makes not much sense when we have a 850).. so turbo from factory the solid 800 and keep the 850 rolling along for the new frame when it makes economical justification.............. Just my .02 / :) ?

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
I kind of think we are in the same state the industry was in in 2000, paint the hood a different colour and you'd be hard pressed to tell one brand from another. Lots of that was because technology was getting maxed out for the current way of building a snowmobile.
We need another revolutionary change like the Rev chassis, what that is, I have no idea. Cat has the Alpha rail system, Ski-doo has DI and SHOT and now a 2 stroke turbo for the mountains, Polaris has a great chassis and drivetrain, Yamaha has competitive 4-stroke motors, Snow bikes are gaining popularity, but none have had the spark to really push the industry. Maybe it needs to be a combination of all of the above, I'm not sure.

I also believe that we need the old 340's, 440's, etc again. The jump from a 120 kids sled to a 600 is too much. I'm sure many of us started out riding sub 500cc fan cooled sleds, many of which were smaller chassis and were a complete blast to ride. The industry is surviving on veterans that have been riding for 20+ years and really struggling to get younger riders and whole families engaged again. I know emissions has played a part, but think of riding an old fan cooled sled, you didn't care if there was enough snow to keep the sled cool, you just rode as soon as there was snow on the ground and kept riding until the snow was all gone. Tracks were small and needed minimal snow for cooling, suspensions were simple and robust, often relying on the seat foam for cushioning the bumps. Creature comforts were hand warmers and a speedometer, a tach and thumb warmer were premium options.

I really hope Arctic Cat's Blast sleds take off and get beginners and young riders into the showrooms and out on the snow. The Polaris Evo sleds are trying, but need competition and I think smaller motors.

Just my $0.02

As the happy owner of an RMK EVO which cost $2,000 plus less than an Arctic Cat Blast I can tell you Polaris is on the right track. In fifteen minutes I can go from a sled with 340 like power to one with 550 power just by changing the throttle flipper. The smaller ergo's are great for my grandson. It has the Polaris standard gauge with tach, mph, etc. I just swapped out the shocks to Pro shocks so now it is basically a 550 Pro RMK 144. I will be swapping out the running boards this weekend. I will have an extra $600 in the sled when done. I can't see the Blast being a better sled - less power for more money just doesn't add up. And besides, it's a Cat.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT

I think it definately depends on location and a guys riding style. I still love steep technical trees, nasty ravines, etc. But, the mountains aren't getting taller and the snow isn't exactly getting deeper every year. But sleds are sure as **** getting faster and more capable.

I have a khaos with a cut tunnel, and 153 powerclaw. Its so rowdy. It builds insane speed but you do have to ride a lot faster and more on your toes then a 155 RMK. That being said it makes the same drainages ive been riding for the last 4 years on my 155 axys RMK fun still. Now I have more power but have to work harder to carry speed and work terrain harder. The khaos suspension is also incredibly fun and the shock package is leaps above the regular RMK options so its really cool getting great shocks out of the box.

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I think the Axys is "endgame" in design. We will get a few yearly tweaks and refinements, maybe a new motor some years, but new chassis? I don't see it.

That’s what people said about the edge chassis too. Those things seemed like magic when they came out, they were so easy to ride compared to the gen 2. But sleds did get better.

Off the top of my head, they could use to have the toe plates moved a bit farther forward so you could get ahead a bit more. And the big one is weight! Sleds are still way too heavy. Polaris may not have tremendous incentive because nobody else is pushing them weight-wise, but I sure would love a 350lb sled. Someday, they will get there, and we will look back at a 2020 the same way we look at a wedge chassis now.

Last edited:

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I to think the price of new is hurting the industry. 7500 should get you the original pro with old 800 it was auctualy a pretty good motor in 15. Maybe we get direct injection in 21? Hopefully there will some more leaks Polaris is hanging out with Yamaha in this waiting game. I'm buying a 21 could be a Polaris.

I think everyone would like lower prices, but I doubt that’s where things will go. I was talking to a semi-retired dealer, and he said that he lost his average joe type customers that used to buy or rent from him one by one just because they have less purchasing power than they used to (He said this is true even of things that have the same price as 20 years ago, like fishing boat rentals). He feels that the future of the industry is going to be catering to the wealthy as the middle class disappears. Just look at the price of wake boats- they go up every year, prices are astronomical, but the companies are thriving. The future of sleds may well be low volume, high margin sales. There is definitely a demographic who would keep right on buying sleds if they cost 40g.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
If they did, they can't acknowledge that they did, let alone divulge any details.
It's Area 51.
LOL - this is the type of stuff I constantly remind my staff ( I have a CPA firm ) - you may learn things within these walls that you want to share - just remember "it's not your story to tell". Polaris will tell their story in their way when they are ready to and no one should ruin that. Still, it sure is fun to speculate!

Snowman10

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 23, 2019
I typically ride a 2017 Polaris Axys 174" with a Boondocker turbo. I rode my buddy's Khaos last weekend for a few hours and I had so much fun on it, that I wasn't missing the turbo at all. It has a can on it and the thing just rips with tons of torque and speed.
Now I want one!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Also wouldn't be surprised to see a belt drive 3"

If that happens, then the engineers will have done a 180.
They have been telling us NO.

They didn't feel they could get low enough gearing with QD without the gears hanging too low out of the belly ban for their liking.

I don't see it happening on the current platform.

Premium Features