• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 ARCTIC CAT ALPHA TEAR DOWN, WHAT'S NEW

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
now not needing to deal with the custom as sheet piston I hope we can get a solid 900 BB back like we had for the old Zuki!
My 900 kit (not ssi or bdx) was fantastic. Not sayn theirs is not it was just what I landed on. Miss it over my 19 silber turbo fooo shoo.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
What is the difference in hp between 19-20 ?

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
In your opinion Bdx, what will be the difference in hp/tq be? Stock 2020 compared to stock 2019.

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I've done a couple power mods that I could feel on the butt dyno, but didn't feel I could add weight to the primary before.

tenacious84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 19, 2010
You missed discussing the oil injection changes from the reed valves to the crankcase. Also, the intake/exhaust timing is the same as last year. Measure a few more cylinders and you will see it is the same.

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
2020 cats

In your opinion Bdx, what will be the difference in hp/tq be? Stock 2020 compared to stock 2019.

Based on the cylinder and head changes, not much difference. Exhaust is the same too. But if they changed the timing curve and fuel curve there is certainly power left on the table. Sled has the same clutching as last year too. With that being said, I'm not expecting to see much more power than last year. But we will see, time will tell. Pure speculation at this point.

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
You missed discussing the oil injection changes from the reed valves to the crankcase. Also, the intake/exhaust timing is the same as last year. Measure a few more cylinders and you will see it is the same.

Good point, thanks for pointing that out.

No doubt cylinder castings can vary quite a bit. But the 2 new ones we checked were slightly higher on the exhaust ports compared to the 2019 cylinders we have. Not that .020" will make much difference. I don't really think the head change would change the power much either, maybe slightly. Time will tell.

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah

X2 on this I wish we had some insight on what was changed to the oil delivery system on the new motor

tenacious84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 19, 2010
X2 on this I wish we had some insight on what was changed to the oil delivery system on the new motor

Nothing changed on the delivery system (pump and hoses) from '18/'19 to '20. The change that was made was moving the point of injection from a barb in the reed valve assembly to a barb directly in the crankcase.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Based on the cylinder and head changes, not much difference. Exhaust is the same too. But if they changed the timing curve and fuel curve there is certainly power left on the table. Sled has the same clutching as last year too. With that being said, I'm not expecting to see much more power than last year. But we will see, time will tell. Pure speculation at this point.

Let us know when you have done some testing on your pipe mods if you are confident the map is still rich enough to run one with a y pipe without a controller. Thanks for your posts great info!

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Nothing changed on the delivery system (pump and hoses) from '18/'19 to '20. The change that was made was moving the point of injection from a barb in the reed valve assembly to a barb directly in the crankcase.

That's what I was referring too. Where they made the changes on delivering oil to the motor. So it is injecting directly to the main bearings now?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
It always has injected directly to the crank bearings AND through the intake. Now the intake oil is going through the side of the block instead of the reed boots.

tenacious84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 19, 2010
That's what I was referring too. Where they made the changes on delivering oil to the motor. So it is injecting directly to the main bearings now?

If you look on the block of a '18/'19, there is a small cast-in hole just below where each of the reed valves mount. It looks like they have now drilled that hole out for '20 and are injecting oil at that location instead of into the reed valve.

Premium Features