• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020/2021 Alpine WY Snow Report Rockin' M Ranch

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Alpine WY Snow Report from Rockin' M Ranch 11/15/2020
We are off to a great start. Yesterday I just plowed 6-8 inches and woke up to another 4" plus and still snowing. The good news this season is that we didn't get the big October storms that often create unstable snowpacks that linger through the season. Most of our local snotels are around 24". Jackson Hole resort received 24" in the last 48 hours. Jackson and Targhee are both scheduled for openings next week. A little warm weather predicted mid-week. A little settling will be good to build a base.

N
Jan 15, 2020
Thanks for taking the time to post updates! Some friends coming out mid December, but I can't make that trip. Fingers crossed early February... but the big elephant in the room is this darn virus and traveling from the east coast... The very reason I will miss the December riding. Thanks again, can hope to come out again!!!

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
December 14, 2020
We picked up about 6" here in the last 48 hours. Snotel sites aren't showing great depths, yet I have received reports of 3 to 4 feet throughout the region. Most people have gone out with low expectations and have come back pleasantly surprised by what they found. Snow in the forecast throughout the week.

D
Dec 15, 2020
I have small group heading west on Friday. Please keep us informed on conditions through out the week! Thanks!

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
still very sketchy with the new snow. Not much cover and no base at all. Wouldn’t waste your time yet.

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Did you guys get any snow last night and how is next couple days forcast looking?
Been getting a few inches every day. Snow forecasted for the next few days. Hopefully it will start adding up. Been a slow start.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Rode Idaho to west of Alpine today. Snow was awesome. All elevations now pretty good coverage all the way down to the valley floor. Avalanche report was high yet we saw only one smaller slide on an open steep face. One of the best days of riding I have enjoyed in years.

S
Jan 28, 2019
Headed here on the 6th from Southern California. Hoping this storm about to hit us drops some snow out that way. How are things looking currently?

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
January 24, 2021 Alpine, Wyoming Snow Report Rockin' M Ranch
I recently had someone from Wisconsin cancel a week long stay in our cabins. First thing he tells me is, "we only come out your way once a year and we heard your SNOW SUCKS". Always frustrating when the internet Jockeys start influencing business. Here is the long version of our snow conditions. Sorry I haven't made as many reports as in years past. To start I also do snow removal here in the valley. I plow every 6 to 8". So far this winter I have plowed 7 times. Last time was yesterday and before that January 4th. We had almost three weeks of no real significant snowfall, but it stayed cold. Good snow could still be found in the trees if you know where to look. The wide open areas were getting a little baked and wind blown. We had a few dry inches a few times since then but not much. This last snow from the last 72 hours put down 6-10" in the valley. The couple pictures that I have attached to this report were taken today from my nephew riding here from the cabins today. They say that there is 12-18" of new in the mountains. This storm is the freshen up that we needed. The rides that I have personally been on this winter have been great. No we are not having the biggest winter. We are at about 85% of the 30 year average. On average our area gets a lot of snow. Unlike many years, the riding this year is pretty good starting at the valley floor. I have also attached a measurement taken today at the cabins. This is undisturbed snow in the field new to my house (5800 feet) 23". The other picture is here at the cabin site. Most snotels are around 50-60". Commissary ridge is at 62". The rides I have been on seems like we are in 3-5 feet of snow. One thing a little different this season is there still isn't a real solid base. We haven't really had a warm up to settle the snow. It is still not tough to make a 4 foot deep trench. I wouldn't say it is "baseless", but not as solid as it typically would be at this time of the year. Anyway we are having a great winter and some great rides. Although maybe not the biggest snow year, the reports I'm hearing is that we have some of the best Sucky Snow in the west!

img_4510 (1).jpg20210124_123939.jpgimg_4506 (1).jpg20210124_113533.jpg

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Sorry for the loss of revenue. Seriously, a guy/group from WI who likely puts in less than a week of steep, elevation riding each year is diss'in a slightly below avg snow year? Like they have big rideable snow this year in WI or the UP (they don't this year, much of it is unrideable). Sounds like they had an uncommitted group or other reasons for canceling, still a tough break.

N
Aug 26, 2018
We are coming to Alpine from NY feb 17-27. I have adjustable weights for basically sea level - 3000' riding here in the east. Stock 850 pro rmk 155 2.6 track. I plan on making further adjustments once we do some actual riding out there but can anyone offer a good starting point for clutch weights? Thanks!

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
We got hit hard here at the Rockin' M Cabins. Last night through this afternoon we picked up 12 plus inches and another 6" the few days before that. Great time to be here!

S
Jan 28, 2019
We got hit hard here at the Rockin' M Cabins. Last night through this afternoon we picked up 12 plus inches and another 6" the few days before that. Great time to be here!
Awesome, thank you very much!!! I follow this thread every year leading up to our trip.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
February 14th. Another big hit these last three days. Somewhere between 12 and 18 inches here in the Valley depending on where you are. A few weeks ago we were at 85% of average. After these last two storms we are now 98%. Back to being a pretty good snow year.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
8+ inches in the last 24 hours here at the cabins and still snowing. 16" new at commissary. Be careful in your terrain choices. Below is the current avy report from BTNF for the Greys River.

GENERAL AVALANCHE ADVISORY

Abundant amounts of new snow and moderate winds have created very dangerous avalanche conditions above an elevation of 9,000 feet and dangerous conditions below that elevation. Large to very large slab avalanches are likely to be triggered by humans. Natural avalanche activity is expected. These dangerous slides could run long distances and are likely to be destructive and un-survivable. In areas not affected by the wind, loose snow sluffs in steep terrain could entrain enough snow to bury a person. On Sunday a snowboarder died in a tree well at the ski resort in Teton Village. Snow immersion is a significant hazard in the backcountry today. Travel with a partner(s) and keep them in sight. Travel in not recommended in avalanche terrain during periods of high avalanche hazard.

Premium Features