• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020/2021 Alpine WY Snow Report Rockin' M Ranch

S
Feb 14, 2010
Wednesday February 17 7 snowmobilers caught in avalanche. One fatality. Just outside Alpine up the C trail about 3 miles near Stewart Peak. It was a beautiful day with 2 feet of fresh pow. Severe avalanche warnings were in place. Pray for his brothers and son that were with him at the time.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
That really sucks. I used to frequent the Stewart area a lot, until everyone else found out about it. Definitely not the place to be in high avy conditions. My father dug out a friend back in '06 there. He didn't make it. I know the hill this recent sledder got caught on and it's a very open 45 degrees. That's steeeeep. Prayers to the family. Everyone else, play in the trees please.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Stay off the steep for awhile. No need to go high. Tons of snow at every elevation.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
March 1, 2021
This is a picture from today here at the cabins. Looks more like late January than March 1st. Reports from the last few days have been handlebar deep powder. March should be a great month. Since February 4th we have had a couple of sizable storms each week bringing our snowpack from 85% to over 100%. The fences are covered here in the valley. 4 to 5 feet on the level. Most snotel sites are over 80". I would avoid wind blown areas in the big country. The riding in the lower treed areas has been great. Still considerable avalanche danger. Plenty of fun to be had without going too steep. Plenty of cabins still available for March. 307-654-2288.

Copied from todays general avalanche report:

GENERAL AVALANCHE ADVISORY

Avalanche conditions remain dangerous. Yesterday on a southeast facing aspect of Mount Leidy on Togwotee Pass around an elevation of 9,600 feet, a snowmobiler triggered a persistent deep slab avalanche just after he made his turn while high marking. This avalanche failed near the ground and was estimated to be up to 8 feet deep. Unbelievably, the rider was able to outrun the slide. As this event illustrates, large to very large persistent deep slab avalanches remain a serious threat, and involvement in one of these slides will almost certainly result in another fatality. Skiers and riders still have the potential to trigger small to large wind slabs in steep, wind loaded terrain. Temperatures are starting out between 5 and 10 degrees warmer than yesterday. As the day warms, these slabs will become more susceptible to failure on sunlit aspects, and the chance for wet slides will likely develop. Don’t let blue skies impair your judgement. Continue to make conservative terrain choices, monitor temperatures and the impact of the sun, and transition to shaded terrain when snow surfaces start to become damp.

20210301_144754.jpg

C
Mar 29, 2021
Eagle, ID
New forum member. Browsing thru the threads and this one looked to be appropriate for my question(s). I live in SW Idaho, and have been doing some sled - skiing this year. I'm familiar with the Grey's River area and I'm looking to ride back in to Wyoming Peak and do a ski ascent/descent on the Western aspect, probably the weekend after Easter. Has anyone been back in that area recently? I'd probably come in from the Upper Valley / Smith's Fork side instead of Alpine. I follow the avy forecasts and check on the SNOTELs, but I'd be interested if anybody has photos or beta on the peak itself, and/or the routes. Mainly wondering if snow is gonna hold on the trails and the mountain into mid-April. From the Snotel readings, it looks good, but would appreciate any beta from actual humans. If this isn't the right thread, redirect me and I'll repost. thanks!!!

C
Mar 29, 2021
Eagle, ID
Do you know of folks that have skied Wyoming Peak? Every time I'm in that area, it always looks blown off. No snow at the top.
I've heard stories of guys who skied it some back in the 90's and early 00's. Haven't heard much since. The accounts I read were that they had skied it on the east (Big Piney) side. I have hiked it once and rode/pushed a mountain bike to the summit a couple of times from the west side. I was wondering if the upper elevations held any snow. I had thought that I could maybe snake a line from the top to the south or north down to the ridge line and then cut down thru the trees. That is kinda why I was lookin for some photos from this time of year to see what lines I could see that could be linked.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Here's a pic I took January 5th of 2018. The tops seem to always look like that, as far as I can recall. Probably be even less snow in April. That's the west side.

b5b5d95e53f78c786b5ee4897b45388c.jpg

C
Mar 29, 2021
Eagle, ID
Thanks for the info Tuneman. That pic helps. I think if/when I do it, I'll probably come in from Smiths fork and then head up Kinney creek to the "end of the road" and park the sleds. Climb the ridge on the lookers left of the saddle between Wyo Peak and Coffin. Then head up the ridge to the summit. Ski about 1000 vert off the East side, come back around to the saddle and ski the same ridgeline back down.
Wyoming Peak Sled Ski Plan.jpg

Premium Features