• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019/2020 Alpine Wyoming Snow Report, Rockin' M Ranch

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
2019/2020 Alpine, Wyoming Snow Report from the Rockin' M Ranch Cabin Rentals
I plan on reporting after every significant storm or series of storms as I have in the past years. For those not familiar with Alpine or the Rockin' M Ranch, here are a few facts that might help you better understand this report. Alpine sits at 5630', Jackson and Afton are both at about 6200'. Rockin' M 5700'. Although the elevation is lower in Alpine, Alpine typically receives significantly more snow than Jackson and Afton, due to it's location at the junction of the Snake River and Greys River canyons. Alpine is a very snowmobile friendly town where it is acceptable to drive a snowmobile on all snow covered roads to gas stations, bars, restaurants, etc. The Greys River is the most popular riding area, with the trail head sitting on the edge of town. The Greys is very easy to "self guide" due to the main trail following the river through the National Forest with side trails and canyons on both sides of the river for about 50 miles. The box Y lodge which provides lunch and fuel is 28 miles up the trail system and can only be accessed by snowmobile. Most of the riding in the Greys River area is from 6000-10,000 feet. There are also many great riding areas up and down the (Star Valley) valley that with a little windshield time, you can eliminate some trail riding and get to the good snow quicker, including Willow Creek, the South End, Indian Creek, and Sheep Creek by Palisades Dam. Some of my favorite riding is on the west side of the valley in Idaho McCoy Creek area. After January 1st the McCoy Trailhead Parking lot is connected to Alpine by a groomed trail. The mean riding elevation in the Idaho side is about 1000 feet lower than the Wyoming side, therefore the riding may take a few weeks longer before it has good coverage. I often find more untracked areas with great boondocking and less avalanche danger on the Idaho side.
The Rockin' M Ranch has seven deluxe cabins with stocked full kitchens, gas fireplaces, Direct Tv, Wifi, propane barbeque grills, and hot tubs. Each cabin has sufficient parking for snowmobile trailers. Additional parking is available for extremely large rigs. The cabins are located 4 miles South of Alpine. Our Highway turn off is exactly 1/2 mile South from the McCoy Creek snowmobile trail head. Some guests prefer to ride via groomed trail to Alpine, others trailer. Most years there is ample snow to ride to town until the last week of March. For guests staying at the Rockin' M we have private access to the Targhee National Forest directly west of the cabins. For many years we also operated a snowmobile rental service. We since have sold that portion of the business to Scenic Safaris. They still cater to the guests of our cabins and will deliver to the cabins for your convenience 307-734-8898. I have been guiding the area for over 25 years and am always happy to go over maps with you and show you my favorite riding areas. Check out our website rockinmranchwyoming.com. For reservations and availability please call Jamie at 307-654-2288.
Thanks for reading....Rob

December 1, 2019
It has been snowing off and on for about a week. Prior to last week we had almost no snow under 8000'. Maybe a foot or so over that. I just measured 11" here at the Rockin' M cabins. The local ski resorts both are reporting a storm totals between about 20-24" of new snow. The Willow Creek (East of Thayne, Bedford Area) snotel site appears to be the biggest gain going from less than a foot a week ago to 37" this morning. Spring Creek Divide snotel (South East from Afton) is showing 26". Blind Bull (East of the Box Y) is showing 24". Phillips bench (Teton Pass) went from 14" to 34" this week. More snow in the forecast for tonight and a bigger storm is predicted for next weekend and cool temps. We are off to a good start!

skidawg

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2006
Wausau, Wisc.
Thank you so much for taking the time and giving all us sled heads these updates. I all ways bring a good sized group there in February and we all really enjoy the area.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Your welcome. Also picked up another 6" here at the Rockin' M since my last report. Most came on Monday. Highs are in the mid-30's. Snow is settling, but should be good to create a good base.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
December 12, 2019
In the last 36 hours we picked up about 8" here at the Rockin' M cabins. The snow started dry and ended wet. The local snotels all added a foot plus and now are all showing 38" on the stick. A few more inches are predicted between now and Saturday.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
December 14, 2019
It has continued to snow lightly over the last 24 hours. We have picked up a couple more inches in the valley. It appears that the mountains picked up another 4 to 6. Snotels are showing around 42". Guests of the cabins have been riding the south end (Salt River Summit) area for the past three days. They claim snow is thigh to waist deep and some places close to 5'. The base is good and it has been over the hood powder. They claimed it was "as good as it gets". Should have decent riding for the Christmas holidays for those willing to gain some elevation. Also plenty of snow to get around the valley. Cold weather predicted for the mid-week and another storm possible for next weekend.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
12/26/2019
We took a ride up Strawberry today. About 4 feet of snow once you get to about 8000 feet. The avalanche report was for possible slabs 2-4 feet thick over 8000 feet. We saw no sign of recent slides and the snow seemed very stable. Good base, sinking in probably 6-8 inches. Snow was fairly soft in the trees. We could use more snow but it wont take much to make it great. Better than we all thought it was going to be.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
January 1, 2020
Alpine, Wyoming snow report Rockin' M Ranch. Happy New Year! We received about 11" of wet snow here at the cabins in the last 24 hours. Most of the snotels in the area have passed 40" with Willow creek at 45". The forecast is for some scattered showers through the weekend and more snow mid next week.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
January 7, 2020
We picked up another 8" yesterday and 4 more overnight here at the Rockin M Cabins. Forecast is for snow through the end of the weekend. Plenty of snow for good riding at all elevations.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
January 9, 2020 Alpine, Wyoming Snow Report Rockin' M Ranch
Since the last report a couple days ago another 8-10" of new snow has fallen here in the valley. Snotel sites are passing 60". We have really not seen much sun since before the New Year. If you are looking for snow, we've got it!! The riding should be epic everywhere, although the avalanche danger will be substantial. There are many great areas to ride without getting too steep. Little Greys up the Greys River would be a safer option. The groomer just came through on the Idaho trail. The Idaho side should also be an awesome choice. The following avalanche report pretty well sums it up.

General Avalanche Advisory
The higher elevations have received five feet of snow with over six inches of moisture since January 1. The snowfall has been accompanied by strong and gusty winds. Last night was no exception as heavy snowfall and sustained winds continue to increase the hazard at all elevations today. Human triggered slab and loose snow avalanches are likely. Natural avalanche releases are possible. Expert terrain evaluation skills and conservative decisions are essential for safe travel in avalanche terrain today.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
January 11, 2020 Alpine, Wyoming Snow Report Rockin' M Ranch
The storms keep rolling in. This is predicted to be the first of another three waves coming through this week. I just measured 7" of light fluffy powder since this time last night. Our local ski resorts reported 48 hour totals of Jackson 18" and Targhee 26". Most Snotels sites are not reading due to the recent storms.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Public Service Announcement: Due to the significance of the snowfall in the Star Valley area, and the high avalanche dangers, it is recommended that individuals should remain at home to be safe.

My group, and I, will conduct an exploratory expedition next week, to evaluate if it will be safe for the general public. Please remain at home until then

Bluebird

N
Jan 15, 2020
My first post...

WOW, I am lucky to have found this post!!! I am thinking about making a trek out to Alpine for some sledding, with some friends. What is the best time to come out? Was thinking some time in feb, or maybe march, but just unsure when prime conditions are. We are coming from Florida and VA, so its a hike with alot of planning, and we want to time it right!

N
Jan 15, 2020
^
Thanks for the reply. Are you local? If so, I will use it as a gauge to what to expect as a tourist from 2000 miles away. Here in Virginia, if someone asked for the best time to come sight seeing for fall colors- for example- I would give some details as to when and why and past history to try to help them out. I would not say Fall would be a good bet. No worries, must be just a different way of being. Thanks again to the OP, I will follow his updates and call out to some rental places to see if they are of a bit more help than mr-fix-it...

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
My first post...

What is the best time to come out? Was thinking some time in feb, or maybe march, but just unsure when prime conditions are. We are coming from Florida and VA, so its a hike with alot of planning, and we want to time it right!

Late January thru early March is the best time. Although, early February can sometimes get a dry spell. That likely isn't going to happen this year.

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
I ride not too far from from there. Late February early March is usually very good conditions. I've gone in April and had great conditions as well. If I could only pick 2 weeks, it would be last week of February, 1st week of March. I hope you have a great trip, that's a long way to drive!

N
Jan 15, 2020
Awesome! Thanks for the info! Let the planning begin! Just watched some vids from the area, and it looks insane. Not anything like what I grew up with in PA! Thanks for the insigh!

B
Jan 4, 2011
Duluth, MN
Please Please Please make sure you have the right avalanche gear as well as an understanding on how to use it, and how to prevent placing yourself and your riding partners at risk from avalanche in the first place. There is a section on the forum dedicated to avalanche safety. Hope you have an awesome trip. My group will be out there first week of March. Hoping for good snow. Staying at Rocking M Ranch as we have once before. Awesome place to stay, and awesome place to ride. Stay Safe!

Premium Features