• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 what to get

Backstraps

Premium Member
Mar 5, 2013
I'm at the age where I can afford to buy my own sled and return dads sled. Looking to buy a new snowmobile for myself. I'm coming of a 2012 pro 800 155 that being said I'm not necessarily brand loyal even though I loved riding that sled. I'm looking at a skidoo, Arctic cat, or a Polaris 800 in the 162/3 track length. I enjoy all aspects of riding from playing in a meadow to high marking and everything in between.

I'm looking for any advice and pros/cons about all 3. I plan on demoing all 3 just want more advice to chew on before I decide what I want.

Thanks for any comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backstraps

Premium Member
Mar 5, 2013
We've always went through a dealer in Laramie primarily frontier due to the fact we've mainly had Polaris sleds. If I went with a Arctic cat or skidoo it'd be through tnt motorsports not a whole lot of experience with them. Seemed like good guys when we stopped in today.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
You're doing the right thing, demo all three, asking "what would you buy" from these clowns will just cloud your judgment. All three are good just different, pick the one that fits you, and a good dealer should be considered. Then see what Ski doo comes out with in 2017, SEE I TOLD YOU!

^^^^^THIS

so now make sure you ride the 16 cat

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
I'd buy used/holdovers right now. Market is supersaturated with people looking to upgrade to latest/greatest and it is driving prices down pretty good right now.

Johnny T.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
Arlington MN
I'd buy an AXYS even though I've never ridden one... but then again cat has good power, but ski doo does too. As said earlier there's a lot of brand loyalty on here, I am a Polaris guy, but the ski-doo riders and cat riders get their sleds everywhere the Poo's can go, have fun their all pretty good sleds. Oh yeah Yamaha... hmmmm

S
Mar 8, 2014
If I was to buy one without money restrictions is get a viper with the factory turbo, that being said I got a 16 sks with only 4 miles on it(only had it for a few days) but really stoked and always loved Polaris...Yamaha is just expensive

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Axys... This sled is so light and so easy to ride it's stupid. It may be last out of the 3 in durability, but so worth it. The throttle response and power compared to the old pro is astonishing. The stock shocks do suck big time though!

TS Drag Racer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Wa. st
I'm far from brand loyal I've had a 12 Pro climb 162 Cat, 2013 XM 163, 2014 RMK 163, 2015 XM 174, 2016 AXYS 163 3". I love boon docking in the trees, high marking etc and hands down my new 2016 AXYS is my favorite sled to date. You just look in a direction and the sled goes there, it's effortless to ride. It feels very light, it's nimble, side hills amazing, gets up on top of the snow amazingly well. I also really like the XM's, but if I had to chose which one is the best for my liking, I'd give the nod to the new RMK.

As stated before a good dealer also factors into the equation. If the Polaris dealer sucked and your Skidoo dealer was great a guy would hav't to really consider that. Also if you can as you mentioned demo all three do it, opinions are like @ssholes everybody has one. You need to buy would suits you good luck, all of the big three are pretty amazing these days.........

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I havent ridden any of the other sleds but my 16 axys is totes amazeballs. Coming from a pro the transision was seemless. But ride them all. They all should have good pricing right now being close to end of season

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

D
Mar 31, 2011
Another vote for axys. If you liked the pro, you'll love the axys. Everything the pro excells at, the axys is better. Not just a little better, but a lot. Can't believe how much fun this sled is.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I had so much fun riding the Axy this weekend...laughing in my helmet like 1/2 the time and getting through whatever dumb spot I pointed it at (and I'm pretty dumb). Everything else just feels old now...even tho it's perfectly fine as well. If you are an aggressive rider, I can't imagine not loving this thing.

Backstraps

Premium Member
Mar 5, 2013
Thanks everyone for the comments. It'll be until the next big snow until I can get out west to demo. Hopefully that's pretty darn soon

C
Dec 24, 2014
I rode all three last spring, '16 Cat 153x3, '15 Doo 163x2.5 and I owned a couple of Pro's. I was ready to jump ship on Polaris because of an issue the dealer couldn't solve. The Axys is so much better than the others I just switched dealers instead.

This idea that the others go where the Axys does is simply not true anymore. My buddys on Doo's HATE where my Axys goes...

Skip the demo ride, buy the best sled on the snow by a long shot, Polaris Axys.

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Well I have been riding Cat since I began sledding 20 years ago.
I took an Axys out yesterday for a full day demo w my Cat bros. I can tell you that whatever you buy, you will not be disappointed. 16 Cats are tremendous. That being said,
I bought an Axys today!

Premium Features