• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 m8 snopro 162 performance mods

Dec 7, 2020
Hows it going everyone, I picked up a 2014 Arctic Cat m8000 snopro over the summer and i got SMOKED on my first big boy ride of the year. Like could not keep up on climbs with the group, im thinking a lot of the issues that I was having were due to the tune I had on the sled. I plan on letting out the limiter strap, adjusting the clutch, making sure the track is tight, and stiffening up the shocks as they were running real low in the cold. What else could i do / add to the sled to make it perform better in the mountains. I havent modded out a sled in years and dont really know where to start.

Pic of the ride

20201205_115257.jpg

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Maneuverability/handling problems or problems climbing?

If it's handling it looks like you have stock skis still. Replace those things ASAP with polaris grippers, the new arctic cat G2 ski bottoms, SLP Mohawks, or SLP powder pros. The stock ones dive unpredictably. The cat ski bottoms are the cheapest route and use your existing runners, loops, and dampers. Can't remember if the through bolt and axle are the same, but they may need to be longer. Powder Pros would be most aggressive and what I run in early-mid season in the fluff. Change to the cat skis in the spring. Depending on your weight try 70psi in ski shocks, 130-140psi in rear track shock, and run the front track shock with just enough tension on the spring to keep the retainer from being loose (5 threads or so below the preload nuts). Always check the shock pressure close to the temperature you will be riding at with no weight on the sled. I check mine on the hill with the sled rolled over on its side to get the weight off. If you want the front end to feel lighter and more lively crank up the front shock tension so there's about an inch of threads below the preload nuts. This will bring the front end up more, but deep snow performance and climbing will suffer. I made adjustments to the front track shock spring based on the conditions of the day.

Stock engine and clutching? What elevation are you at and what is it pulling for RPM under load?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
kinda got the 'big birtha' thing goin on there with that widshield, bumper, and the old wider front end huh. Id change all of that stuff out and get a 3" on it if you havent already.

Dec 7, 2020
Big issue I had was that it was sinking, constantly. I also wasnt able to climb the same slopes as the other guys i was with despite having a longer track. Both engine and clutch are stock, elevation is at the peak 5500, i didnt look at the RPMs

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
3" track.
and yeah, wider skis moved in closer together will help it float for sure. that doo probably has a narrower front end and 3" paddles... along with being a lot newer in general. narrow front end's kinda a tree riding thing but i think it helps sleds float too, compressing the snow closer to the track.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Set up the rear suspension like boondocker said, get the newer style spindles/control arms , and cut the little fingers on the opposite side of the track from the paddles off and itll be like a whole new sled.

armey37

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Richland,WA
Check your clutching. Proper belt defection, primary weights set for your elevation, new primary and secondary spring. New belt or clean your old one with warm soapy water. Clean your clutches. Clean power valves. Change plugs. Chain case oil change. Give it a really good once over then as stated above set your shock up.

Premium Features