• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014/15 Togwotee Snow Conditions

madmaxx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2007
NW Iowa
14 Hr. drive???

So coming from NW Ia and we have reservations, is it really worth the 14 hr drive??? I am not expecting pristine conditions but enough to get the cob webs out? We also have one of the group that needs to test and tune a turbo..... so what can we expect? Just been hearing snow is best around Brooks Lake and above 9000 feet.... please let us know, leaving 5am Tuesday AM.... :face-icon-small-dis

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
If your going to Tog. presently marginal conditions exists at all elevations. The highest elevations have the best coverage 3 to 4 feet in most places. Snowed last night they probably got 6 inches up high.

Best riding in the state of Wyo is 1hr south of Tog imo

DPG

Last edited:
O

oneal30

Nov 6, 2009
Rapid City, SD
Current conditions

I had two friends of mine that went to Tog over the weekend. I was scheduled to go but I tapped out because I thought the conditions weren't good enough to warrant the 8 hour drive from SD. Turns out, I made a bad decision.. Is it over the hood, endless powder? NO.. But, there's plenty of snow to be found, and good times can still be had.

My friend made a good point to me... "If you only ride on blue bird, 4' of fresh days, you'll only ride a couple of times all year."

I missed out on a good weekend with my buds because I'm being a powder snob!!

madmaxx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2007
NW Iowa
I hear ya, we had the other 4 guys back out as well to go somewhere else that supposedly has better snow.... we still have 4 so it is what it is and we are still going to try it..... hey if the snow is bad the beer will still be great!!! I know, I know its a long damn drive to drink beer..... but wtf!!!! plus it is snowing now and more forecasted!!!! :beer;

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Are you familiar with the snake river drainage ? South of JH North of Alpine.

DPG

That's about 10-12 miles away from the area we were in yesterday. We were shocked how good the snow was in there. Might have to go again tomorrow :) Eric

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
The SRR always holds good snow regardless what the rest of the planet is doing..Upper Dell Creek at the east end of the Hobacks has been pretty good also once you navigate the ridge tops to get there. More snow never hurts the real snow I'm told won't be here until after Xmas if you believe in the weather outlooks.

DPG

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Man your asking a loaded question...That's like asking a prospector where to find gold....If your coming from Utah to ride Smith Forks not bad once you get back in there and you will save 2 hrs. of driving each way.

DPG

C
Aug 29, 2012
So around TML is garbage but near alpine area is good? And horse creek area is good? I've been getting so many different reports on conditions I could damn near puke. I've been sniffing 2 stroke oil for 8 months now and doin thumb crunches. Are we going to be dodging land mines all week or is that inaccurate as well?? I heard 3 ft no base... and then I just read all these posts and I'm lookin at my phone like wth is going on here! Sounds like it's better than a guy thinks?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
So around TML is garbage but near alpine area is good? And horse creek area is good? I've been getting so many different reports on conditions I could damn near puke. I've been sniffing 2 stroke oil for 8 months now and doin thumb crunches. Are we going to be dodging land mines all week or is that inaccurate as well?? I heard 3 ft no base... and then I just read all these posts and I'm lookin at my phone like wth is going on here! Sounds like it's better than a guy thinks?[/QUOTE

The areas we are talking about may only be 50-75 miles apart but the conditions are much different in them. The area around Tog only got into the 33-35* range the last two weeks so the base never firmed up, that's why guys are talking about hitting logs and rocks, etc. The areas south and west of there had a few days reach into the 40's and really made a nice base. Then last sat/sun some of those areas with the good base picked up over a foot of fresh snow.
These areas with good snow do not have any trails in them, you need to know where your going and which ridge lines to follow back in order to get to the best snow. Try and find a local or a good guide that can show you around. Eric

Finnlandr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2009
Parts Unknown
I stuck a probe in the snow at about 10K feet today....measured 7 feet.

Plenty of good riding right now...you just need to know where to go....or hire a guide.

Premium Features