• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 polaris pro won't start after rebuild

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
title says it all, rebuilt a 2013 pro 800. has spark, has compression, I'm not sure about fuel, have put some fuel down the spark plug hole but am getting nothing. No farts, sputters, nothing. Anyone got any advice? I know nothing about the newer fuel injected engines. where do the small o rings go on the injectors? green and brown on the front and blue on the back? or just green or just brown or? This thing is just dead, I suspect fuel but I just don't know. Sure could use some help here guys

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
title says it all, rebuilt a 2013 pro 800. has spark, has compression, I'm not sure about fuel, have put some fuel down the spark plug hole but am getting nothing. No farts, sputters, nothing. Anyone got any advice? I know nothing about the newer fuel injected engines. where do the small o rings go on the injectors? green and brown on the front and blue on the back? or just green or just brown or? This thing is just dead, I suspect fuel but I just don't know. Sure could use some help here guys
OK, pulled the injection system apart, twice actually, went to Babbitt online and went thru the exploded diagrams, everything is correct. Have pressure in the fuel rail and in my son in laws face when it came apart the first time. Everything is where it should be, have good compression and good spark I’m starting to think this thing is super flooded. Still hope to hear some advice from you guys, anybody else experienced something like this? Did I f up by pouring gas into the cylinders? What actually tells the injectors when to open and close? Did I miss a wire somewhere? Any tips at all would be appreciated. Jay

D
Nov 17, 2008
If it is flooded the plugs will be wet To unflood pull plugs and pull starter rope 10-15 times and install new plugs and try to start. Do not attemtp to reuse flooded plugs unless you put them in a different engine and run that engine with them. A flooded plug can look good but still be shorted and engine will not fire under compression with it. You may have to do this two or three times if it is really flooded. I have been known to use a flame above the open plug hole while turning engine over to help clear out a flooded engine but that is very dangerous and if you have gas around the engine or a lot of gas in the crankcase you can start a major fire or explosion so do not do this unless you are prepare to deal with a fire or explosion !!!!

M
Feb 26, 2018
On a pro you have to prime the fuel system before you start it. Down in front of the primary clutch there are some connectors. One should say fuel ( not sure on this, maybe YouTube can help). I use paper clips that are straightened out, some jumpers, and a 12 volt battery. Put the paper clips in the proper connector, attach jumpers to paper clips (don’t let the clips touch each other!), then touch other end of jumpers to the battery. You should hear the fuel pump running. Acbout 10 seconds is long enough to prime the fuel system.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Anyone else? The sled is my son in laws fathers, I just helped out, I've never worked on one this new and have no idea what's wrong. The sled is at my son in laws and he is working out of town so the only time I see it is on the weekend. Thanks for the advice so far, really appreciate it, I haven't had the opportunity to try priming the fuel pump yet, I haven't heard the pump run and wondered about that?

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Anyone else? The sled is my son in laws fathers, I just helped out, I've never worked on one this new and have no idea what's wrong. The sled is at my son in laws and he is working out of town so the only time I see it is on the weekend. Thanks for the advice so far, really appreciate it, I haven't had the opportunity to try priming the fuel pump yet, I haven't heard the pump run and wondered about that?
Problem solved, when I put the flywheel on it pushed the woodruff key out and the flywheel wasn’t indexed correctly. Timing was off and sled wouldn’t start. Never had that happen to me before and sure isn’t going to ever happen again. Being hopelessly ignorant of modern electronics I assumed it was some weird voodoo computer sh!t, not something so basic. Thanks to the guys that tried to help me out, maybe this can help the next guy down the road. Jay

Premium Features