• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 M8 Oil sender

grandpaj

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Menan, Idaho
I searched the other threads about the bad sensor in the oil tank. Drained the oil and found the little float , got it in the upright position and still getting the low oil indicate. so does any one know what wire in the wiring harness we can open or short out that will eliminate this issue all together.
I am tired of not being able to read my altimeter and have a flashing light all the time.
thanks for any help.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
If you find the answer I would like to know as well. Mine as been on since i got my sled (its a 2010 HCR) and its starting to get really annoying...

C
Aug 19, 2008
Mine did this off and on on my 11 when new. At about 700 miles, it quit and I havent seen since. I never let my oil get low enough to have it come back on but I should to make sure it is still working.

Carbon77

Lifetime Membership
Jun 12, 2008
Yakivegas, WA
I had the same problem, the sensor is on the back of the oil tank (towards the rear of sled) unplug the connection and problem goes away. Just dont let your oil get low... Yanno... cause it wont tell you...

2014-02-06_2052.jpg

Last edited:

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
Any good tips on reaching the sensor? I've tried a couple attempts at reaching back there but cant seem to get my fingers on it. Maybe move the oil tank some how??

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
oil Float

It is a bitch to change. I have a 2010 m8 that had the same problem. You have to take the hood, air intake off and 2 elbows on the same arm to get back in. After I took the old one out, the old one start working. I Replaced it anyway. The sensor has a magnet in the movable portion that activates a contact. Some how the contact has remained closed. In normal operation full of oil, the contact is open. So disconnecting the plug creates an open circuit to the unit. Like was said before, make sure you keep oil in it if you disconnect. With low or no oil in tank, try tapping on the sensor lightly, it might work. Good Luck!

grandpaj

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Menan, Idaho
Fix

Sorta fixed. After AirPoppoffs help found the brown wire in the hood connecter, pin 10, cut it and problem goes away. If you do this and run out of oil its not my fault, but it stops the problem from happening.
Now I can read my Altimeter.
Thanks guys

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
all season mine had been flashing "oil". This weekend it all of a sudden turned off. problem solved I guess...ill deal with it when it comes back on.

M

meierjn

Nov 11, 2008
My 2011 HCR was doing this as well. I just ordered a new sensor to replace the faulty one. I noticed the part number had been upgraded so I am hoping it was to deal with a faulty original part. This sensor seems to be used in all 2010to 2015 M series sleds. If the new one ends up with the same issue it will get unplugged! The sensor is a real PITA to get at. Below is a copy of a post I had made on another forum:

Step 1: Play with sensor...

Drained the oil and flipped the float up and down with a long wire. It didn't seen stuck so I filled the oil back up hoping for the best. Within the 1st 5 minutes of my initial ride the low oil sensor came on.

Step 2: Pull out sensor...

Easier said than done! Again, pump out all of the oil... Remove heat shield by the oil tank hoping that the sensor would be accessible. Nope! Remove hood, then air silencer, then slowly work the throttle body boot through a hole in the bulkhead that seems much too small. Now I can see the sensor! That small hole proves to be a trap! By the time I manage to disconnect the low oil sensor and wiggle it out of the tank I am bleeding from both hands. That was fun...

Step 3: Test sensor...

On the bench I test the sensor with an OHM meter are recommended by AC. The sensor tested fine. The float doesn't seem to stick. I do a bit more research in the Internet and discover that the original sensor part #0609-773 was replaced with sensor part #0609-915.

I was initially tempted to re-install the sensor and leave it unplugged but since there is an updated part number I am assuming that the issue with the original sensor was resolved. It looks like the new part number is used from 2010-2015 AC sleds. Hopefully the new sensor will resolve the issue.

M

meierjn

Nov 11, 2008
Well I got the new sensor installed and surprisingly the reassembly went much easier than the disassembly! I did put some dialectric grease in the connector for good measures. After starting the sled for a quick test there was no more oil light warning on the display. Hopefully the new sensor took care of the issue.

Premium Features