• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 summit 800xp garrett turbo... Couple questions

S
Aug 30, 2008
Waconia,MN and Denver,CO
Hello everyone,
I have just recently bought myself a very nice 2009 xp with a garrett turbo in it.
Couple Questions if any one cares to help a wanna turbo guy.

1) I'm running about 8000-11500 elevation and my main jets are at 390.
rode the other day when it was 38 and the sled loaded up so bad it took 5 seconds of being flored to get it going. Checked plugs today and they were black.
Would it be safe to say I could go to 360 mains? usually ride from 15-30 degrees. maybe some 35 degree days... if that matters???

2) I only got to ride the sled once and it seemed like it has quite a bit of lag and no low end power or snap.. could that be from the mains being to high? Should I go down on the pilots as well?
what are you guys running?

3) the first couple runs with the sled when the temp was 28 boost seemed to be hitting 8 pounds and by the end of the day was like I said loading up so bad that it would barely take off and boost was only hitting 2 or 3 no matter what I did. tried turning up boost.
Could it be that it was running to rich to get the boost to work?
When I got home fired up sled and found leak in stock exhaust, very small leak but could feel a good amount of air coming out. Could that have been why the boost the boost would not go up past 3??

4) running at 8500-11500 and only 8 lbs of boost it looks like by a chart I read the best gas mixture is 70/30 with 110 and 91 pump. first is that correct ratio? Opinions please?
Ran 50/50 with 110 and 91 the other day at 8500-11500 and seams like that would be to much octane for that elevation.
What ratio are you turbo guys going with?

5) Have a Cpi pipe that I could take off my other Xp for a bit, could I use a regular Cpi pipe? its the high elevation one. on the turbo.

6) What could I do to get better throttle response?

Any Information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Kris

J

jmoore

Dec 15, 2007
WYO
Kit???

Kris,
First off, what kit do you have or did someone build their own??

C

canucklehead

Aug 30, 2002
Southern AB
If it is a turboboyz kit somebody will have a setup for you. I have a garrett 2860 and can give you some setup information but ride lower then you.

I ride around 6000 and I am running 380's. Do you have powerjets?

You should pull the carbs apart and check the pilots and needles. I am running 15 pilots. You can flip the washer from under the needle to on top to help the mid if you're fat there.

While you have the carbs off you should pull the reeds and see what you have. The stock reeds don't last and even with the right jetting will give you fits at how it runs. You can get boyesen turbo petals or complete cages.

Any exhaust leak will prevent you from building boost. Have you pulled the clamshell off and checked it over really good, pressurized it? You could have the seams rewelded while you have it out. This is a fairly common problem.

Once you get the jetting cleaned up it it should be a lot more responsive on the bottom end.

I am running 10lbs of boost and run straight avgas.

Hope some of this helps, once you get it dialed in they are a blast.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
my sled is setup the same as canucklehead sugested with 370 mains so it runs a little leaner above 8,000'. one turn out on air fuel screws with 15 pilots.
How did the sled run when you very first got it out? if it ran ok, your problems might have just ben from the cracked pipe.
you should be good with premium pump and 30% 110 on 8lbs and above 8,000' elevation.

H

High Roller

This is what I found runs well a 6000-7000 (-10 to +3) with Turbo Peformance 2871 garrett kit with a turbo head 12.1. Fuel 100% c12. A/R 12.8-13.5 long pulls

Jetting:
-4psi fuel pressure at idle
-air screw 1.5 out
-12.5 pilots( would run 15's if you want to be super safe, 12.5s are lean but bottom end is killer)
-360 mains
-powerjets half a turn at 10psi, full turn at 15psi

Clutching:
23.4 grams
dj mtn ramps
white/white primary spring
clicker #2
dj qr11 helix
purple/purple secondary spring

After Big Iron will have the set-up for the 860 turbo.

Hope this helps.

S
Aug 30, 2008
Waconia,MN and Denver,CO
Thanks everyone for your responses.
On the kit.. I think its a Halverson kit but I'm not sure. Finding that out asap.
Bought sled from summitxtreme about a week ago and didn't really ask that because I didnt know better and I was so excited to be buying a turbo.
there is a picture of the turbo under my photo album. I think a pic of the turbo is attached to this message

Finding out the kit info very soon.
Please keep the info coming.

Thanks

800 summit turbo 006.jpg

S
Aug 30, 2008
Waconia,MN and Denver,CO
Thanks Dave, I will be giving you a call soon.

Yes sled is set up pretty good just looking for some lower throttle response really.
pretty sure turbo stopped because of the small exhaust leak, fixing that today but probably won't know if that took care of it till i get it out in a few days.
heard turbo won't spool u if no load.. true? false?
So yeah sled is kinda dialed in..
When I had it out for the first and only ride it had no low end throttle response.
and a couple second lag on any power. but once it spooled up the sled hauled azz.
Thanks for any info on these turbo's

Wanna be turbo guy, Kris

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
cracked pipes, even if small = HUGE lag and they run like massive turds. also being to rich, rich enough for them to load up makes them not spool up at all. heat in the exhaust is what really gets the turbo going(hot gas takes up more space then cold gas) so if its missing it will not burn good and get taht turbo spinning.

how loud is that thing with the freakin stack on it?!

also, might think about some more venting, your going to be suckign some seriously hot air once you ge tthat sled working in any kind of deep snow. hot air is gonna make it run way rich, then your back to the crappy tuning.

Premium Features