• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 Polaris Dragon problems ?

A
Dec 2, 2012
Alot of people have said to stay away from the dragon's. I'm looking to upgrade to a new sled but not sure what all of the issues were with the 2009 Polaris dragon 800. How can you solve the issues what have people done that have worked.

D
Nov 22, 2008
everything has its ups and downs but when Polaris made the 900 and the the 800 dragon the pistons are shaped like an egg when they get hot that's what ive been told some people have great luck and some don't I would recommend a 2008 700 dragon i had one with slp intake pipe can and geared down along with clutch work it ripped and I loved it other than the heavy weight but that's my opinion is go with the 700.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I have to dragons, an 08 and a 09. I have not had any issues with my stock dragon, I rode it for over 3 yrs before making it my wifes sled. My turbo has had little to no problems. pulled the cylinder off at 2000 miles and found a crack in the cylinder. It still had the original piston in it, I was not aware they were still in it since I bought it used. recommendations if you do buy one are, pull the cylinders off for inspection at the end of the season to be safe. you can get the cylinders repaired. Do not hold them in the midrange, fluctuate the throttle, which you should do on any 2 stroke. I took the plastic cover off of my electronics so the voltage regulator actually gets some air to cool it. there are things you can do to solve the problems. We send out our cylinders and give them our own specs to where we want the cylinder bore. It tightens up the clearances and avoids the piston slap. hope this helps

T

tahoermk

Nov 26, 2007
Tahoe
My 09 grenaded, and I put one of Indy Specailty's long rod motors in it. Search the this forum and you will find tons of threads about the issues with these motors. Call Dan at Indy Specialty for his take on them.

Last edited:

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Dragons are great machines if you can't afford a Pro. They do need some help thou, must have a complete vent kit and a power comander, or MTN tek piston kit. Don't be afraid just research the unit and do some preventitive stuff.

J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
I bought a blown up 09 Dragon......I have stripped it to the frame and will be going to the powder coating shop next week Motor is being long rodded by indy dan. Carl's I understand also does a good job with the motors.

You likely will be doing this. Buy it cheap. I bought my 09 dragon with about a 1000.00 in aftermarket goodies for 1500.00 over a year ago. Track was bad also. Now that I've gone completely through it...that is about what it was worth in my opinion. Frame is in excellent cond. as are many other parts.

I'm very happy with this purchase and the work I'm having done...will be reasonable in the end. But I knew going in I was going to be spending this money. Only a couple surprises, cost me about 450.oo (new clutch and lower control arm).

Be SMART!!! Make the other guy prove it's worth the price and total up what your going to spend to have the sled "right". I will post pics here when I am finished.......

Last edited:

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
The one i bought a few months ago had some goodies with it and i paid 2500.00 and i have about another 2500.00 into the motor and its up and running..
Did the Mtntk kit, new crank bearings via SLP and a new renick cyl from US chrome and all new polaris gaskets not the aftermarkets ones.. And had got to put 70ish miles on it in Feb.. love the sled tho!! I am looking for a 600 or 700 iq to build for the wife now..

J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
I have always wanted to build a custom sled to what I want. If I just wanted it running stock, I believe I would have about 5-5500.00 in to this project.

Xtras the sled had - Powder pro skis, Skinz Front and rear bumpers, Belly skid, SLP Can

However, what I'm doing to mine:

- Long Rod Motor Build - Indy Dan
- 2.5 Camo xTreme Track 155
- New Heavy weight (Firm) torsion Springs in the skid
- Skid has been completely gone thru - (good as new)
- Analog Speedometer (Don't care for digital)
- One new lower control arm
- New Clutch
- Black hood (don't like the White)
- SLP Air box
-Xtreme Shock tower and foot console vents - Black
- 2cool Side panel vents - Black (replacing current Red)
- 2cool Dash instrument Vent - black
- WPR Running Boards
- Misc parts & Rivets due to stripping to the chassis
- (2) tunnel bags
- Change power Pro ski loop color from red to blue
- Black hyfax

Est, cost = 6K

Does not include rebuilding rear shocks or Powder coating. WITH: I Est 7000.00 (top of my budget)

If I can sell the white hood, red ski loops, digital speedo and 2 cool red side panel vents.......cost comes down.

Powder coating colors will be Black & blues I have included a "Mock up" of what I want it to look like Spindles and rails will be PC black pivots in skid blue.

Mock up.jpg

J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
(laughing) that really is just the mock up - I cut cardboard to fit (tunnel), spray painted it black and the blue is just painters tape. Notice in the pics no headlight or side panels. It helps to do a mockup.

I am taking the chassis (and many other parts) to the powder coat shop Friday. I think in the end it will look good.

You need t read this:

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304283

Indy Dan is in Minnesota.

Good luck and when I start the rebuild of the sled I will run a thread here....showing the progress.

Last edited:
Premium Features