• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2007 crossfire 8 pops out of gear, into "neutral"

J
Sep 19, 2014
Hello

So i hit a rock the other day...on the trail...lifted the skis coming out of a corner...skis came down right on either side of a rock...straddled it perfectly...hit bulkhead and then track drive shaft. Aluminum smeared on bulkhead and on rock. About 100 yards later the diamond drive popped out of gear into neutral...between reverse and forward. At first I feared the worse and thought I cracked the housing or lost the fluid and ultimately grenaded the whole thing. But then i realized that my reverse lever (SHIFTER) was not against the tunnel. I waited until my engine came back to idle, then slammed it into drive. Went another half mile or so and the same thing happened. Shortly after that, the trail turned into a forest road where i was able to go a little faster and noticed a bad vibration. Threw the sled on the side and diagnosed a bent track drive shaft.

At this point I thought my popping out of gear issue was related to the bent track drive shaft. I have since replaced the track shaft with a used shaft out of an 07 cf 1000 (same part number) and replaced all 5 lower bearings (14-1014 All Balls Racing 3 in DD and 2x brake bearings), mostly as a PM as i feared the hit could've damaged them.

Thinking I was golden, took 'er out for a test spin on the trails. Vibration is gone, but it still pops out of gear...what gives!?

I thought maybe i tweaked the tunnel, but the arm has room to "float" freely while in drive...as in the tunnel/foot rest are not putting pressure on the lever when in forward. Also, i started riding with my hand on the lever holding it in gear and it still kicks out with enough force that i can't hold it in gear. Something is forcing it out.

Any ideas? Bent shift fork? Lost the balls/springs that hold it in gear? I have to think it is in the drive...will be pulling it again tonight to give it a once over...nothing was obviously wrong when i changed the bearings though. No foreign objects in oil.

UPDATE: pull DD and took apart. shift fork and plastic "holders" appear to be fine. The bearing between the 2 lower shafts is already cooked after 20 miles. How can this be?

Also found bushing particles in the oil which wasn't there 20 miles ago.

Also found a hairline crack in the main housing around where the output shaft goes through. Housing still holds fluid.

At a minimum I am in need of planetary set and center bearing...still don't know why it's popping out of drive though? Thoughts?

Premium Features