• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2004 rmk 800 opinions

U
Feb 8, 2009
I am posting this for my buddy who is looking at maybe picking up a 2004 rmk 800. Are there any outstanding issues this model is known for or anything particular to look for before purchasing? Thanks.

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
These are great sleds! The Edge chassis is very strong making the longevity of this sled very good. The cool thing is there are lots of modifications out there for the 02-05 years that make these sleds work very very well. One thing that you need to have your buddy keep in mind is that the bottom end of the engine (crank) are the biggest handicap. There are lots of folks who get 5000+ miles out of a untouched 800 motor but I think that there are more folks who get around 2500 mi and the crank either brakes or vibrates so bad that you can't ride the sled. The simple solution is double wide bearing on pto end of the crankshaft. This fix is very common and any Polaris dealer should be able to point you in the right direction of a qualified machine shop to do the work. Check to see if your buddy's sled has had this done. Balancing the clutch on a yearly basis is also good practice.

Premium Features