• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

17 King Cat Exhaust

Just curious if anyone on here has put an aftermarket exhaust on their King Cat 998 Turbo yet? I am looking at either the GGB Mountain can or the CR Racing straight pipe. I have read around on other forums and hear people say things like "you must get a reflash for a free flowing exhaust to correct for A/F ratios". Both of the exhausts I am looking at say you don't need a reflash on their websites, but then I see stuff like mentioned above. Just checking to see if anyone has some first hand experience with either and what they chose to do.

I emailed Chad at CR Racing and he said during their testing they saw an A/F ratio of 12.2 and down to 11.2 on long pulls.

FWIW, I ran a GGB straight pipe on my M1100 Turbo for a little over a year and it ran amazing.

I got a CR resonator pipe this year but haven’t put it on yet so not sure what it will be like

I have an 18 HC and I would not run a muffler on this sled without a tune. Some say you can some say you cant but the AFR is close to death without a tune. I would get a small tune and muffler as it turns this sled into an animal.

I have an 18 HC and I would not run a muffler on this sled without a tune. Some say you can some say you cant but the AFR is close to death without a tune. I would get a small tune and muffler as it turns this sled into an animal.

What A/F ratio are you hearing or seeing? From the numbers CR Racing sent me it would be on the rich side.

If you go over to HardCore Sledder and browse the turbo cat forum you will see all the details on this setup. There is a great deal of info on that site for the turbo cats / Sidewinder. I think even Evo has a blurb on the website on the 998 engine with muffler and no tune.

I ended up ordering a GGB Mountain Can. I emailed GGB and they indicated only 7 to 10 HP gain. They indicated they also tested up to 10,000 feet with no need for a tune. I think I see how they got away with this. If you look at the pipe entering the "muffler" and the pipe leaving the "muffler" there appears to be a choke down at the exit. This keeps more back pressure in the exhaust versus a complete free flow system.

Well, I got my GGB Mountain Can installed last weekend. From the scale I had it drops around 8-9 pounds over the stock exhaust. It is noticeably louder at idle, but not quite what my M1100 was with a straight pipe. I have not opened it up yet but am leaving for Cooke next week Thursday and will have a chance to see what it sounds like under some WOT.

One thing on changing out exhausts, you should have a ball end T-50 torx bit to get 2 of the bolts out. I did not have one (only a straight T-50 bit) and ended up using a Vice-grips on them. They came out easy enough with the Vice-grips.

I just got the Speedwerx can that you can run without a tune. Are folks ditching the heat shield that mounts on top of the old muffler?

Premium Features

Back