• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

155 ASSAULT COMPARED TO 155 RMK RAILS... DIFFERENCES WITH PHOTOS

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The shape is different, RMK VS Assault 2012... pay particular attention to the nose of section of the rail and the turn-up there.
With the lower mounting position of the Assault front arm... the rails are tipped up in the front more to accommodate that change... the approach angle on an assault is steeper than an RMK.

picture.php

Last edited:
R

rjkoll

Nov 4, 2009
besides the additional stiffening rod on the assault, is there any difference between the two that adds more strength on the assault rails?

Z

Zinger

Nov 26, 2007
The steeper approach angle on the Assault allows the sled to corner better in hard pack conditions like those on the RMSHA hill climb circuit. Its purpose built!

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
So what's the general consensus on remounting the front suspension on the Assault upwards like the RMK???????

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
What are the shock differences?

HUGE!!

Both are Walker Evans but that about all that's the same. The Assault comes with the Walker Evans needles with clickers and are valved way stiffer and have a ton of adjust ability. Also the Assault does not come with a front sway bar.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
This is why I am ordering the rail kit from iceage age to go on my assault. It has already been changed to the upper mounting holes from the dealer that installed the 5.1 track.

I bought the assault becuase I am a bigger/agressive rider and I will be running a turbo
what do you think I should do with the rear shocks given the application?

I was thinking a heavier spring on the rear shock and revalved for qiucker rebound . should not have to mess with the valving since its adjustable( clicker) correct ?

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
^Have you ridden an Assault yet? The needle shocks turned up will resist bottoming out and the rear spring is stiffer then the Pro Springs, you might not have to change a thing on it.

Back to the picture MH posted it looks like the RMK rails have one more slot cut out in from of the bump stop and the Assault rails have a couple extra small holes drilled in them for some reason.

Last edited:

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
i also see the assault has a larger gusset/rail leading up to the rail tips starting in front of the front torque arm, behind the front bogie wheels

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
^Have you ridden an Assault yet? The needle shocks turned up will resist bottoming out and the rear spring is stiffer then the Pro Springs, you might not have to change a thing on it.

Back to the picture MH posted it looks like the RMK rails have one more slot cut out in from of the bump stop and the Assault rails have a couple extra small holes drilled in them for some reason.

No i havent ridden it yet I have bottomedpretty much every sled Ive ever ridden even the holz coilover shocks where revalved twice . I think Im no so light on my feet /sled besides my actuall weight.

I wonder if assualt rails would allow clearance for 3.0p 7 tooth drivers they look shorter in the front end .

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Moot point on the 7tooth drivers ... can't because the track rubs on the chaincase with a smaller driver.

FTX may have a solution for that soon though.

Kreg,

I think you will be surprised with the new shock package.

Moving up the front swing arm to the top (RMK) hole, will give you the rmk approach angle.

The RMK and Assault share the same front swing arm and limiter strap... and the mounting position on the rail for the lower pivot of the the front swing arm appears to be in the same location. The rear drop bracket appears to be the same and mounts in the same location. The rear scissor and swing arm are the same as the RMK.

Last edited:

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
So I'm guessing by moving the front suspension mounting UP like the RMK will result in less front end lift or ski lift and improve the suspension getting up on plane and on top of the snow faster? Basically getting it closer to the handling characteristics of the RMK. Any other differences???

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Moot point on the 7tooth drivers ... can't because the track rubs on the chaincase with a smaller driver.

FTX may have a solution for that soon though.

Kreg,

I think you will be surprised with the new shock package.

Moving up the front swing arm to the top (RMK) hole, will give you the rmk approach angle.

The RMK and Assault share the same front swing arm and limiter strap... and the mounting position on the rail for the lower pivot of the the front swing arm appears to be in the same location. The rear drop bracket appears to be the same and mounts in the same location. The rear scissor and swing arm are the same as the RMK.

I may wait and see how it does. I have always liked walker coil-over shocks Ive had them on the front of my 900 since 06. I think the needle is the newer version of that shock they have been great.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
So I'm guessing by moving the front suspension mounting UP like the RMK will result in less front end lift or ski lift and improve the suspension getting up on plane and on top of the snow faster? Basically getting it closer to the handling characteristics of the RMK. Any other differences???

It will help the assault from trenchig but it will never float like he rmk because of the track. Imo i ride in someof deepest gnarliest snow you can get and aside from geting stuck 20 feet further down the hill than the guy on the normal pro, i love the track. Hell i can outclimb my friend on his 2010 163 dragon with the assault track. That being said, the stock 5.1 trimed with every other lug having track screws would be a better all around track.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
It will help the assault from trenchig but it will never float like he rmk because of the track. Imo i ride in someof deepest gnarliest snow you can get and aside from geting stuck 20 feet further down the hill than the guy on the normal pro, i love the track. Hell i can outclimb my friend on his 2010 163 dragon with the assault track. That being said, the stock 5.1 trimed with every other lug having track screws would be a better all around track.

I went with the 5.1 powder track.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
look up the F-bomb track mod. It works fing awsome. i prefer to leave every other lug long, and i cut the other ones and put track screws in. its not that bad and it's worth it!

I want to find a 163 to put on just for the first month or two of riding.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
The purpose of this thread, for me, was to simply show that the Assault rails are different, and to clarify what those differences are.

The Assault rails are turned up in the front simply to take into consideration the angle of the track/rail interface with the Rails dropped lower which causes a taller attack angle.. Using the RMK rails on the Assault will casuse more friction and Hyfax wear on at the front section.

The drive shaft and drivers are the same and in the positon as the RMK. The rear suspension is the same including the non adjustable limiter straps. The Assault suspension has the same travel as the RMK.

You could use the Assault rails on the RMK... but not vise versa UNLESS you moved the front suspension to the top holes that you drilled all the way through on the tunnel of the Assault

Premium Features