• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

11 renegade build to freeride project questions and opinions

bmiller1985

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2013
merrimac, wi
hey guys, so I was recently approached by a friend that rode my '14 137 freeride. he loves the thing and was going to buy one until he had an idea. he wants to try to build it up like my freeride, so me of course being the good friend with good powersports knowledge said i'd tackle it for him.

as of now we decided to go with the camoplast challenger 1.75 (still able to trail ride and not overheat) 137, c3 steering stem relocation kit, BRP 5-8" adjustable riser, 23t drive gear to compensate for the larger paddle, and BRP quick disconnect sway bar link. And last year he added some powder lite ski's.

I'm pushing the S-36 kit from BRP but wasn't able to sell him on it yet, and possibly some adjustable front shocks.

Is there anything else i'm missing that anybody can think of? I feel I have a pretty good start to get him further off trail with less digging time, but would like some input.

Thanks in advance!

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
rebuildable shocks all the way around.

Send them to Fhett brothers for stage 1 revalve. 2014 XM Summit swaybar and links. 38/40 front end. Lots of them around.

Front end is too mushy IMO w/o the swaybar connected.

Call 612.718.3861 and TT John (SHR) about clutching.

23/45 will be good gearing for what you will use it for.

DS2 spindle kit. Better geometry and better skis.

Not a huge fan of the C3 post forward unless it will be mountain bound.

side panel venting

Last edited:

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
Decent start, the idea of the free ride is a strong chassis with high end shocks able to absorb some serious punishment. You'd have to address those issues to make it a Freeride. I made a 141" RS so if you have any questions feel free to ask

D
Jan 26, 2011
Northern BC
The Freeride 137" has the rail mounted coupling bumper set back an additional 1/2" to 5/8" compared to a Renegade. This results in the coupling effect being delayed and providing better deep powder performance or less trenching.

Since you have both sleds, the difference should show. Research rail cutting as a term. Roughly, you can remove the bumpers, drill a matching hole 1/2" furter back and trim the extra rail material to allow the bumper to be re-installed.

Voila Freeride style rails.

bmiller1985

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2013
merrimac, wi
thanks for the input from everybody. so far the sled has had 1.75 track, swaybar disconnect (it's rideable but a little mushy like stated above, and was expected), C3 Post forward (yes it is mountain and off-trail bound, mainly UP riding). we did some adjusting on the shocks to try to balance it out a little better, as of now there's too much weight over the front end. I'm debating on going evol R's on my 154 freeride and debated on swapping the stock kyb's over if they fit (haven't checked fitment yet) the renegade. Now the big debate is if the a-arms fit, is the sled better off with the s-36 front end kit or try to find or do a custom build of a freeride front end to have it stay a few inches wider for more stability for when it's trail ridden?

also, clutching on this thing is spot on, went to the 23 tooth upper gear as well. I didn't even have to touch the clutching but i suspect it's not stock. I need to get in there and see what it has. the sled engages and comes to life shockingly better than my 137 freeride, it's almost embarrassing.

I did the same to a BCX

I dropped down to a 19 tooth and on the rail mounted coupling bumper - you should be able to flip it up (or drill it out and replace with wing nuts) ... i moved to a 2015 freeride but that BCX is still a lot of fun to ride! I have tried a ton of things with it to turn it into more of a freeride feel -- the skid changes and looking at your straps will help but you will want to paly around a bit ... the other thing is you may want to look for a newer X or XRS seat .. will get you up a bit taller depending on your year. this URL should help with understanding the skid - http://mountainblog.ski-doo.com/2012_freeride_sc-5_137/

hope that helps!

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
I just pulled a 38/40 front end off my '09 Summit with DS2 spindles and new upper ball joints. It is for sale complete with steering rods for 200$.

I went to an S36 and had my stock X shocks shortened as I already had them re-valved. We sold the S36 shocks separately.

If you are interested, the front end will be @ HAYDAYS at SLEDHEAD Racing in Expo C. Or call BIGJOHN @ 612.718.3861

Premium Features